“Not too bad....not too good!”

Britannia Manchester Hotel
Ranked #90 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
“Not too bad....not too good!”
Reviewed 31 December 2012

Stayed here for one night. First impressions,hotel entrance welcoming , staff helpful bar one,who didn't seem like he wanted to be there.rooms are average size,digital box with tv, glasses dirty,hole in bathroom door.hallway dull.previous occupants hairs in bed. Overall this wasn't a bad stay,but this hotel is in need of some attention.Most Britannia hotels have had huge investments,over the years and this one could do with one. Located near a motorway but that shouldn't be off putting for short stay. There are two car parks. One to side and rear.besides the hair on the matress and hole in door.stay was average.cannot complain for price we paid(£20.00). Breakfast was £5.00 per person. Scrambled egg.beans.hash brown.toast.cereal.fried toast.juice.bacon.yoghurt.mixed fruit cocktail.served between 7-10am.

1 Thank mystery-shopp

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,038)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Kent
Reviewed 31 December 2012

We stayed here 27/28/29 December on one of the special offer "Twixmas" breaks and found it to be amazing value for money. Having read some of the reviews, we took their advice and upgraded to an executive room, but it was still only £25 per person per night for dinner,bed and breakfast! Yes some of the carpets and furnishings are a little bit tired and dated but it does only claim to be 3* and our room was very clean with spotless sheets and fluffy white towels so what more do you need. A TV, hairdryer and ample tea and coffee making facilities are provided too.

The breakfast buffet had everything you would expect for a full English and/or cereals, croissants and jam etc. The dinner choice was a bit limited but well cooked, or you could do what we did one night, and exchange dinner in the standard restaurant for vouchers towards a meal in the other on site restaurants - the Indian restaurant (we tried this - excellent) or the Pizzaria. Reception are happy to do this for you and we found them very polite and courteous as were the dining room staff too.

The location is absolutely spot on, slap bang in the middle of the City, with everything either in walking distance or easily reached by bus or tram (bus/tram station just over the road).

I think all the bad reviews are undeserved and I would deffinitely stay here again, although probably not at the full price. As there are special offers available through out the year I would recommend anyone to try one and see for themselves.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Wendy-from-Kent
Reviewed 30 December 2012 via mobile

When booking a night in the Britannia Hotel I had high hopes of a special type of service and, particularly, quality of room.

We found the room to be very, very poor indeed. There was very little space within the room and it appeared 'tired'. The television was ancient with very limited channels on offer and the walls were very dirty with even one wall sporting a rather large amount of phlegm (yes, phlegm!)

I spoke to reception who didn't seem overly shocked or concerned about what I'd found and informed me, in an almost blasé fashion, that they would ensure it would be cleaned up.

They did do what they said they would but my overriding memory will be that a hotel with such a grand exterior and expensive reservation fees had failed miserably by their nonchalant manner when I'd mentioned what I'd discovered in our room.

Also, the hotel has a cheap deal with a local car park...except that its about 5-10 minutes walk away which isn't ideal when you're carrying luggage. We ended up paying £18 for overnight parking at the nearby NCP so it may be a good idea to consider public transport if you stay here and you don't fancy the walk.

On the plus side, the location is good as it is quite central and access to bars, restaurants, shops, etc is easy.

3 Thank Barge78
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2012

we booked to stay here for my husband's birthday check in polite quick...room 115 very nice for £45 @ night bits to update but not as bad as some reviews say, 3 bars 3restaurants ..excellent location would stay again if in town.

1 Thank anny998
Blackburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 December 2012

Stayed here for just one night to visit the Boxing Day sales. To be fair, got the room cheap so didn't really know what to expect. However, from the photo's, did expect somewhere that was a little bit special!
Checking in was fine, and we were offered a free upgrade to a double suite. Happy days!
The room was shabby with an electrical socket that was loose, carpet that was dirty and furniture that had seen much better days. On using the bathroom sink, it was impossible to empty the water as the mechanism was broken. As this was late at night, we waited until the following morning to report this, thus almost flooding the bathroom overnight.
Overall, on looking at the general areas of the hotel i.e. stairs, furnishings etc. and decorations, I agree with other reviewers that the hotel is in desperate need of a major upgrade. Shame really, as I can only assume that this was once quite a grand hotel with guests to match. Happy with what we paid, all things considered, but would not pay any more to repeat the experience.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dawningham
Reviewed 26 December 2012 via mobile

If you like the comforts of a 70's furnished hotel, then look no further. Upon arrival, there was a snake-like queue, which almost doubled back on itself. Peak time check in and only one initial receptionist to greet the massed throng of expectant guests. Once reinforcements arrived at the desk, we were Given room 228.

We arrived only two floors up from one of the slowest lifts in living memory. As soon as we stepped out, we were met by a stench of cigarette smoke...which became even worse once we entered the room. Once on the phone to reception, we were told that this was not only a smoking room, but we were indeed on a smoking floor! What year are we in again??

Anyway, we were moved to the 4th floor, where the oxygen was the only thing that had improved.

We did enjoy our evening out in the brilliant and festive markets, along with a trip into china town. It won't put me off visiting again, but I can safely say that this tired old hotel is jousting for a place along side Fawlty Towers, unless a massive investment returns it to its halcyon days befitting its exterior and prime location

Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank David H

Travellers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Paris, France
Reviewed 25 December 2012

Amazed to find that having paid for 2 nights in advance, when I got back to the hotel at 9.00 pm on the second night, my key no longer opened my bedroom door. Reception advised me that my room had been given away to other guests and that I should take a seat and wait (for what?). They had no idea where l my belongings were that I had left in the room that morning. They would not give me another room for the moment, even though there were plenty and I had paid in advance! To cut a very long story short, after 40 minutes the duty manager arrived and was very curt almost offensive. It was only when I threatened to call the police some 20 minutes later that i was shown to another room, It took another 40 minutes for my belongings to arrive scrunched up in a plastic bag, with more abrasive treatment from the duty manager. The next day I spoke to the complaints and sales manager who advised me that he was 'objective'! He seemed sympathetic, but one week later, after me chasing him, he offered me a £30 hotel voucher in compensation (which I still havent received). Never again!

Room Tip: Dont bother, the duty manager was unpleasant and rude, the other staff are ineffectual