“I liked it, friendly and comfortable.”

Britannia Manchester Hotel
Ranked #89 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Newcastle Upon Tyne
“I liked it, friendly and comfortable.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2013 via mobile

Booked this hotel as I was going to be in Manchester for a few days. Visiting a private clinic. I was advised to stay in the hotel near the clinic & airport but I read this one was better and I am glad we did. Staff friendly and very accommodating. No plug sockets near beds, a porter moved a bed for us. Room was nice on 3rd floor looking out to the main street. I paid more for us to be comfortable and have a window. Room was lovely and although its not the ritz you get what you pay for we were happy, quite comfortable and no complaints. We managed to get the heating working by the valve on the radiator. We founds Jennys restaurant excellent for 3 course lunch carvery at £6.50 great and staff all European first class for service. The location I researched was not far from the piccadilli train station. Walking distance. We would certainly stay again. Close to shops etc.
Warning to anyone going to Manchester to be careful about taxi cabs. Book before you go anywhere. Club cars & radio cars are both great. Do not jump into a cab outside the hotel. We were waiting on our pre booked club cars driver & got played when a similar looking mini bus cab said he was to take us. We trusted him. On our way our driver phoned me. The deceiver who conned us and stole the fare,
Then tried to charge us more. ! So we careful. Its a lesson to learn.

• Stayed January 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,030)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Burnley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2013 via mobile

I stayed in october 2012 and I booked using a 3rd party, I got the room cheap and I was greeted politely at the door and at the check in desk.
All of the staff were polite and I felt safe in the building with the security as you enter.

The decor could have been nicer, but the chandelier was amazing.
The bed was comfy enough, cant comment on the telly as I didnt watch it.
The hotel is slap bang in the middle of everything that I needed.

• Stayed October 2012
Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2013

Stayed overnight with my mate on a bit of a shopping epedition. Hotel is vey central. Clost to shops, bars and restaurants. Quite an Olde Worlde hotel but very nice for the price. We had booked an economy room via Bookings.com. It was £39. However this 'economy' room didn't have a window so we paid an extra tenner and got a room with a window. Staff on reception were lovely. Staff in the bar were lovely. Drinks were cheap. Bottle of wine £6.95 and pint of beer £1.50. Got an evening buffet meal in the hotel for just £7. It wasn't exactly 'Jamie Oliver cuisine', but it was fine for the price. We were upgraded to a room overlooking the main road. Big mistake! Very noisy throughout the night. However for the price we paid for this hotel, we cannot complain. It was a great little stay over.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, don''t get a room overlooking the main road.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2013 via mobile

Everything you read is true - a disgrace to the City of Manchester. Rooms old, tatty, disgusting. I had to move the bed and found filthy tin foil with rotting food.i cannot believe that it hasn't been shut down by health inspectors. I feel v sad for the staff working here. Carvery rank, breakfast worse. Ladies do not stay there alone !

Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank anniel444

Travellers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Preston, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2013

Expect massive check in queues around 3pm.
Rooms and corridors need updating - dirty marks on walls, draughty windows (no double glazing) so expect noise too, no main light so difficult to undertake work in the room.
Jenni's restaurant is not good - breakfasts are lukewarm, lunch is cooked to death, and evening meal choice is shockingly limited, unappetising and unhealthy. Waiting on staff average at best. The toilets nearest Jenni's are a disgrace for a hotel.
HOWEVER, the Spice restaurant is excellent!! Fantastic food, reasonable prices and excellent service. Would highly recommend Spice, just dont bother staying in the hotel as it is at present. Such a shame as the building is fantastic and has the potential to be a really classy place.

Room Tip: Dont bother - just go to the Spice restaurant if you're passing. Service, quality, value, cleanl...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Preston
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2013

For such an impossing building it is a shame that it has been left to get into such a state. The first thing that hits you when you get up to the floors with the bedrooms is the smell of nicotine. Yes they allow smoking in the hotel.

The rooms are at best grubby, bordering on filthy, fortunately did not eat or drink in the hotel. The reception area was grubby, the staff were uncarring and scruffy. The highlight of the stay was checking knowing I will never be back.

Room Tip: do not stay, you have been warned!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2013

after reading the reviews on here I was a little dubious about staying but must say had no problems at all. Friendly staff, nice room and clean. Not the ritz but it's a great hotel in my opinion. would definitely stay here again on my next trip to manchester. Great value for money as well, Just £39 for the night

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple