Britannia Manchester Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$181
US$160
  • Restaurant
Ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street(Manchester)(Great Value!)
US$82
  • Restaurant
Jurys Inn Manchester(Manchester)(Great Value!)
US$98
US$171
US$127
Travelocity
4,346 results
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 June 2013 via mobile

Arrived early was checked in just before 12 noon by a nice guy. We paid cash up front and was given a ticket with room number 405 on it and told to come back after 2pm. Ok fine as check in is after 2pm. Left our luggage with the porter and off we went.

Came back well after 3pm and tried to check in was told by a snotty female she has to check if the room is ready.....what?? It's gone 3pm it should be ready. After a long wait and the rudest reception staff ever encountered, two males behind the front desk were laughing and chatting away in a foreign language. Yeah nice impression before even getting to our room. Eventually miss snooty came out snapped she had to check with house keeping the room was ready. Well I can tell you lady I wasn't willing to wait for a room. I asked to speak to the manager and was fobbed off with the usual rubbish they were busy.

Got to our room and I searched and searched for something to complain about. Nothing, no marks on the walls no mould in the bathroom no stained carpet. The only thing I could find was the beds were made slap dash but that's been petty. Oh and the bath grips are useless as they one by the wall is blocked by the wall. My other gripe about the room was it had no air con and the windows only opened a half inch. The room was in no smoking and on the front so I was kept awake all night by sirens, a road sweeper. The odd scream and then buses going up and down the main road.

Breakfast was disgusting. We went down at 8.50am nothing there. I saw a guy come out the kitchen in chef whites and asked if any more food was coming out. He snapped I was late getting up this morning ok. Well no it's not ok. I'm a customer we paid for this breakfast so I at least expected something to eat. The veggie sausages were cold and like cardboard there was one fried egg no bacon no sausage no mushrooms. The scrambled egg resembled plastic and tasted awful. I gave the coffee a miss and took a glass of milk up to my room as I'd taken my own coffee. Good job really as the two sachets of coffee left by the kettle were rock solid, no idea how long they had been there. That compliments tray was awful, 2 sachets of hard coffee and 2 teabags 4 milk. Some people don't like tea, I'm one of them. No hot chocolate or biscuits. Really poor.

On check out I wanted to complain about the service during booking in and was given a green tag with the head office email address on it. Again excellent customer service........not!

All in all the room was ok but over priced for a executive room and the £154.00 a night price it should have air con in as standard, the tv was as old as Noah and only had 4 channels made a buzzing noise. They really should invest in some modern tvs with sky channels, after all we are in 2013. The reception staff need to be retrained in the art of customer service. Location excellent but that's all it has going for it. Stayed for a night on 18th June 2013 as we were going to see Robbie Williams hence the price increase compared to a normal Tuesday stopover.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 23 June 2013

We Booked one night in this Hotel 21st June 2013 We were extremely disappointed with the room it was small dirty wallpaper coming off the walls. The wall paper was dirty. Bed uncomfortable. TV quality so poor we gave up trying to watch it. I asked for a lower level room as I don't do lifts. Got a room on the 3rd floor with about 70 stairs to climb. We were woken up 4 times in the night people arguing banging so unsociable for others who were staying in the hotel. Would not recommend this Hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Don't book this Hotel
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 June 2013

We booked this hotel for our weekend in Manchester for Robbie Williams concert. A fantastic location opposite Picadilly Gardens and very impressive when you walk into the hotel lobby - a beautiful staircase and chandelier. However, that's where the great impression ends.....we got in the lift (very small and says can occupy 10 people and realistically you can get 4-5 in at a push) and felt like we had been transported to another hotel when we got out. The corridors where the rooms were, were shabby, un-hovered, paint chips on floor, fraying carpet at door edges, scuffed walls and doors. It looked like a prison corridor! Walked into the room (which was an executive twin by the way), we did not have a proper window just a half a porthole style window which was wedged open with a teaspoon from our tea / coffee set!!! The room was dark and had no main light in the room only lamps. The curtains were hanging off the rail, peeling wallpaper, pictures had damp stains, the chair in the room had water stains. Towels had brown marks on them. The walls were paper thin as we could hear the girls in the next room having a conversation. Very noisy both outside as window did not shut properly and people walking up and down the corridor is noisy as not much soundproofing from the door. Someone knocked on a door and it sounded like it was our door and it was two doors down!!

Our friends room was even worse, curtains did not fit the window as they had a massive window, window did not shut and had rained in in the night and a pool of water on windowsill when woke up in the morning. Damp walls, broken bathroom door, cobwebs above the bed, stains on carpets both in their room and ours.

Spoke to the Duty Manager and showed him the photos we took of the rooms, and he offered a 10% discount as that was his limit. We paid £159 per room for one night not including breakfast. So not worth this money at all and apparently the rooms are £80 normally but they doubled the price because of the concert so an absolute rip off! The General Manager was not available and we were told that the General Manager's name could not be given to us despite it being on an information board in the hotel lobby!!!!! We rang the customer services and they said the General Manager does not deal with customer complaints - ridiculous statement.

We saw other people complaining so the Duty Manager was busy this morning. One woman I spoke to had read the reviews about this hotel prior to booking but it was the only one available and cheapest but she rang up before she arrived to ensure they cleaned her room properly prior to checking in because of the reviews she had read - you should not have to do this.

Another two women on the 3rd floor could hear the nightclub. When in the lift another couple told us they had had to be moved from the 1st floor to the 5th because their room smelt of cigarettes. Apparently the breakfast had no taste either.

I seriously advise you not to stay here!!! We are progressing our complaint as we feel well and truly ripped off and we never really complain about anything.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 June 2013

This hotel was a nightmare. We paid a £400 to have a double suite for a weekend away. The room had three beds in and was tatty and barely light as it looked onto a side street building. On asking for a change they told us the only room they had was a smokers room.The furniture and paintwork was chipped and It was a disgusting. The bed was fixed up on bits of wood, the bath leaked and had a crack in it ,the carpet was covered in stains and it smelled. The noise from deliveries early in the morning was dreadful . They didn't come in to replenish tea coffee or towels etc even though we put sign on the door. This has to be the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. I came home wanting to shower immediately because I felt so dirty.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 June 2013

First impressions fab but dont be fooled by the glizt and glam of the lobby. Faulty towers and rising damp. Complained about are executive room, with damp patches, leaking windows, curtains didn't meet in the middle, wardrobe doors you couldn't open, cob webs, dirty carpets the list goes on. Customer service left a lot to be desired. Other residents also complaining when we checked out. NEVER going back

• Stayed: June 2013