“First time in Manchester”

Britannia Manchester Hotel
Ranked #95 of 121 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 1 November 2013

From the moment we were checked in by efficient and friendly staff until we left 3 days later we had a lovely experience at this hotel. it does have an attractive air of faded grandeur with sweeping staircases and magnificent chandeliers but our room was elegant and spotless with all mod cons and a powerful shower with loads of hot water. Meals were buffet style and although not overly exciting well cooked and plentiful. The dining staff were attentive without being intrusive and with the location (in the heart of the city) it was a perfect base for a pair of first time visitors. I can't wait to come back.

Room Tip: We were on the 5th floor which was quiet and had a huge window.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marafil
Write a ReviewReviews (4,261)

Reviewed 1 November 2013

Avoid fifth floor rooms, didnt get a wink of sleep due to excessive noise coming from street below all night long, as two nighclubs in the basement .
Hotel cheap and rather tatty in dire need of refurbishment.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Paul B
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I´ve stayed at this hotel three times before and kind of accept it´s flaws, since the price is very low. However now I think it´s probably reached rock bottom. Everything other reports here is true. It´s dirty, the elevators hardly work, the noise from the club is disturbing even on the fifth floor, food is terrible etc etc.

Also my iPad disappeared after the room had been "cleaned" by the maids and when trying to report this to the front desk I was told to send an email to the customer service at the head office. I have not received a reply yet, one week later.

Room Tip: Stay away!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ludvigsen_JSL
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Old, Tired and severly lacking in any idea of service.

My room was a good walk from the reception as the hotel is big, not a problem.

Unpacked, plugged in phone and lap top and ran a bath. Cold. Called reception to find out if there is an issue with the water, apparently not I am the only one to have raised this. "I can't get maintenance to get you new taps as they have gone home" I am not sure the receptionist has the jist of plumbing.

Offered me a new room, I asked for the key to be brought up as it would involve repacking getting dressed, walking to reception only to repeat the entire arrival process. The response "Sorry I am too busy to bring it". Not a clue, clearly the customer is an inconvenience to them.

I coped with a tepid/cool shower as I really could not be bothered with the hassle of moving and was due for dinner in 30 minutes.

Its only saving grace is the location. No discounted parking at the NPC, noisy as the windows are old and mismatched dated furniture. The buiding needs a massive investment of cash, it is a pity to see what was once a lovely place go in to such decline.

The Ibis/Travelodge type hotels offer much better value for money.

Avoid.

(PS See my other reviews, I think this is my 2nd 1* in a lot of reviews!)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank James B
Reviewed 30 October 2013

This hotel must be the worst hotel that you will find in Manchester. Most staff have very poor English and dont seem to understand or want to understand your questions. The breakfast consists of very poor food served in a very a dirty dining room. The bed rooms are dirty and the showers dont work. If you are offered a room in the attic area ask for your money back. The locals call this hotel Faulty Towers

Room Tip: Stay Away From This Hotel
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank 127George2013
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Very disappointing accommadation ,even though the description of our room was good the actual room on arrival was extremely poor. Room very sparse and not very tidy . Was like going back to the 1950's hallway leading to our room was very untidy and. disgusting marks on the carpet. Hotel staff did not seem to give a dam about there guests. Ver very poor come on Britannia get a grip on your hotel and staff!!!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank David Q
Reviewed 30 October 2013

This has got to be the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. The walls on the forth floor are manky with dirt and stains all over them that is the bits where the wallpaper wasn't hanging off. There looked like a urine stain on the carpet. When I booked this room the photos and description did not give any hint of the condition I was about to put my poor daughter through. This was a surprise trip for her you could say it was huge surprise. She now thinks I don't like her and her husband very much. I paid £105 that is £210 of my hard earned money for both rooms apologies I should say cells. My dogs had better conditions in the local kennels. The rooms were old tired and mainly windowless. The beds were hard but credit where it's due the sheets were clean thank god for small mercies. There are some wonderful hotels in Manchester please don't risk this one

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family