“Appalling Customer Service. A Scam?”

Britannia Manchester Hotel
Ranked #94 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 9 November 2013

We booked a groupon to enjoy high tea at this establishment. The voucher cost us twenty six pounds. After calling numerous times in the week, on numerous days, and receiving no response, when we did get through too book the groupon for the next day, we were told that there was nobody to sort the groupon for us, and we had to call on a weekday, when nobody answers the phone. After speaking to one member of staff, I then asked to speak to the supervisor, Connor, the highest ranking member of staff on shift. During my conversation with this gentleman I not only received no help and was bluntly told that I could not book the voucher (brought as a gift for a friend) but I was also laughed at by the other members of staff on shift, as Connor seemed to offer hilariously sarcastic responses. I would strongly discourage anybody to eat at this restaurant, as the staff are rude and unpleasant, the company is making it very difficult for people to redeem paid vouchers, I would not be one to say scam, but the situation does force questions to be asked. I am appalled by this experience considering the Britannia hotel has been around for 31 years, I will be in contact with groupon and trading standards to ensure this is dealt with properly.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Tom H
There are newer reviews for Britannia Manchester Hotel

Reviewed 9 November 2013

I stayed one night as it is very conveniently located. There is no denial on location!!!
I agree with all the previous comments regarding unfriendly staff but the overpriced breakfast was really what chocked me the most.

In the room there was no chairs so working was a real inconveninece.

Just ne electric socket "hidden" behind the TV so very unpractical to plug laptop or recharge phone.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Patrice R
Reviewed 8 November 2013 via mobile

From the attitude of the staff to the rooms themselves the word disgusting sums it up. Booked to stay for 2 nights but couldn't bring myself to go back there the second night. Arrived late and was given a "turret room" (615). I was disappointed on arrival at the outdated decor and furniture, CRT TV etc. but when I started to look closer I became horrified.

Not only was it freezing (radiator was off with no way to Turn it on), the carpet was disgustingly dirty, curtains did not close all the way, wardrobe door was broken to name but a few things I was unhappy with. To this end I called reception and asked for a different room, I even offered to pay to upgrade myself. I was told however that the hotel was completely fully booked and that no other rooms were available (even tho rooms were being advertised online as being available for that night). Instead they brought me a tiny heater.

When in the morning I checked out early due to the issues I was refused a refund for my second night and told to email the complaints team. Which I will.
I'm not one for writing bad reviews but in this instance if I can stop anyone having the same experience as me it's worth it.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank XraynbeauxX
Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

Respite the poor reviews I decided to give this play as try as Manchester was very busy and all the decent hotels were busy. Never again! I had to wait 45 mins to check in as there was 'a problem with my room', the room was awful, the staff were so rude, I'm sorry to leave a bad review but this hotel is shocking!

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Darren E
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We stayed at this hotel on the 01st November 2013 for 1 Night. The noise at the weekend from the nightclubs below is excessive and loud if you are requiring sleep, avoid at all costs.
We rang the reception to complain about the noise and he said he was surprised we could hear the noise 5 floors up. We offered him to visit our room to hear the noise to which he refused, as said he would try to get us another room

He rang back and said could not offer us another room as hotel was full, and we could have a free breakfast and extra hour in hotel, and said he will post vouchers under door in the night for us to have a free breakfast for the inconvenience caused. He did not even take the time to leave the vouchers, We did not want the breakfast we just wanted sleep as been a long day travelling.

The Rooms also need refurbishment as rooms have damp patches, wallpaper falling off.

The Hotel charges £86 per night without breakfast. We have stayed in better hostels.

To say Britannia Hotels started in Manchester in 1976. You would think they would be trying to run the hotels better and keep the customers happy, as an happy customer will return to the hotels in the future.

Would be nice for Alex Langsam CEO To Stay during his visits to Manchester in the Future on Weekends.
Next time we are in Manchester we would not consider this hotel, But consider
The Mercure Hotel across the road.

Room Tip: Avoid Hotel At All Costs
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank blackpoolmale
Reviewed 4 November 2013

There is an overwhelming stench of decades of stale smoke - vaguely masked by some sort of Tangerine Dream air freshener - all over the fabrics, furniture and fittings in the room and corridors of this hotel. My hot water was luke-warm, my check-in service slow and rude, and my walls damp. The nightclub blared its music out painfully loudly until around 3am -- and it wasn't even that cheap. Oh, there was no light in the room other than a small bedside lamp, and the lock on the door didn't work.

Room Tip: Pick one in another hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank hotelfan828
Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night the staff on reception were rude no welcome and when you asked anything it was an effort for them to even speak
The room was dated and not that clean bedding
I have stayed here years ago nothing has changed I think they need a new general manager to educate the staff that u know what this is a hotel where u sort of try to look after the customer bad leadership starts from top down I blame the manager

• Stayed: October 2013