“The price reflects what you'll get”

Britannia Manchester Hotel
Ranked #92 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“The price reflects what you'll get”
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Its a case of well what do you expect from a cheap hotel, we opted for the excutive twin room and all i will say is, if thats best room available then what were standard rooms like.....

In its day when it opened i imagine it was impressive but that was 30 years ago, i dont think the hotel has had a refurb or updated the decor since. Furniture is generally old, the beds are the same and creeky when you move in them. The bedding looks tired and windows are single glazed with broken locks in our case. Being on a busy road without double glazing was hard to get a decent sleep ( luckily i had some ear plugs on me )

Didnt book breakfast here so cant comment on that, we simply wanted a roof over our heads for our stay in Manchester and thats what we got and didnt expect anything else for the price paid and thats what i think you should have in mind if stay here

Room Tip: Dont book for a special occassion, it wont be a special stay
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,061)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

Room was ok but thats being polite given the price. Bathroom no ventilation so mirrors steamed up after shower so fiancée couldn't use mirror for makeup. Damp in bathroom also toilet wouldn't flush, room without window which is fine but no air conditioning or ventilation so was extremely hot and uncomfortable we phoned reception to complain and sent a maintenance man up who flicked the light switches and said the air con isn't working, I'm no sparky but I could of told him that as a result a portable fan was there complete solution. ( not impressed) no mention for would you like to swap to another room?????? Why wasn't this offered. Beaware for this service or lack of.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

Having stayed here a few times before we were delighted to get a last minute booking when visiting our daughter at university.
Unfortunately our disappointment began at the check in desk, they had got my first name wrong (not just spelling, but completely the wrong name) and were close to telling us we were not booked in, no apology or explanation, the receptionist, even after looking at the booking confirmation with the correct name on said that I must have entered it wrong!
Then came the room.....sad and tired is perhaps the best description of the decor.....oil splattered wallpaper and rotting door bottoms would perhaps be more realistic. Along with the makeup stained carpet this didn't put a good light on the room. The assumption that two adults would be fine with a hand towel and one small bath towel was also bewildering. However these were quickly supplemented when asking at reception. The bed making was also a little substandard, just a sheet over a mattress protector underneath the covers.
From a technology point of view, wifi was easy to access and pretty fast, however, a 19" CRT TV? No free view, and on the floor so you can't see it from the bed? Not good.
The bed was comfortable and we had a good nights sleep, however temperature control was via a single, broken window.
Breakfast was good, if somewhat limited in selection, no bread other than white toast and a somewhat limited variety of fruit.
Check out was simple....drop the cards in a box, no customer feedback or staff interaction.
At the £55 we paid for the double room it was a disappointment.....what it would feel paying the £169 expected for full price doesn't bear thinking about.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Nick C
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

I booked a room from a restaurant 10 mins walk away, using my phone's web browser. I got confirmation of the booking from Britannia. I turned up at reception soon afterwards to be told that the price "must be a mistake" and I needed to pay a whole lot more, think it could have been £100 higher. I dug my heels in and eventually got something like a "how silly of us, sir, our mistake!"

This all sounds lighthearted. But for several minutes they were deadly serious that they wanted this extra payment. They were probably banking in the fact that thinner-skinned tourists would just pay up.

I'm just wondering in the light of other reviews on this site, whether the blame for this crookedness lies with individual staff, or the hotel management, or with Britannia Hotels corporately?

It's a shame, because this is hotel has a fantastic period ground floor and staircase, and could be a real boon to Manchester if it was in better hands.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank CottonZ
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I never would stay with this company again never I would rather sleep on the street ... The staff are rude the rooms " horrible " dirty and there customer who complained where forced to leave and threatend by staff .... SHOCKED

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank A O
Derbyshire
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I booked two rooms some months earlie for what I thought was a good rate but I would rather have paid more, and will do in the future. I booked two rooms one of which was a double room for one person and another was an executive twin. When we arrived the double bed had been changed for a smaller bed, only one light worked (this was the bedside lamp) the tea tray had hardly anything on it and the room was cool with no evidence of any way of controlling the temperature. When I later complained to the hotel they ignored my comments about the tea tray, the size of the bed and the lights and told me I should have turned it up at the (non-existent) switch. The executive room was not an executive room but was a cheaper city room which check-in failed to note. This was not a suprise as the reception staff were totally disinterested and did little to make anyone feel welcome. I had requested that the rooms be as close together as possible but were in fact at opposite ends of the hotel, albeit on the the same floor. Newspapers were also supposed to be included but these were nowhere to be seen. Nearly every other hotel I have stayed in asks about preferences at reception, they did not and when I queried this following my stay I was told that they would have been availble in receprion. Do not expect any concern from customer services if you make a complaint following your stay, you will get no satisfaction from them. I sent two e-mails one responding the the initial reply. They offered me £10 which they state was the difference between the cost of the city room and the executive room booked (this was not) and the response to my second email included the line "... I have nothing further to offer you. There will be no further correspondence unless to arrange the refund [of £10]." The breakfasts were adequate but dried out under the lamps and the staff again seemed totally disinterested in the customers. My advice is stay there if you get a good price and you don't exepct any service, as the location is good. Take your booking info with you to remind you what is included and ask for it as it will not be offered and they will not give you even the basics unless you do. For me this is too much like hard work when I am away for a break so it is unlikely that I will stay there again. On the positive side the housekeeping staff were friendly and positive, if only this could infect the rest of the staff team.

Room Tip: If you don't mind not having a window book a City room, it's cheaper. But check if you have...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Baszunia
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I come to Manchester very regularly and had never stayed here. I had heard mixed reports. The room was small but adequate for 1 night. Clean and tidy but probably in need of an update. The breakfast was adequate although the sausage for the full English had been deep fried and was quite greasy. Other than that I enjoyed my stay. The staff were friendly and polite.

Room Tip: Rooms on floor 5 are quite small.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo