“birthday night away”

Ranked #92 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
Blackpool, United Kingdom
“birthday night away”
Reviewed 10 January 2014

we are a married couple in our 40s. we travel regular for odd nights in nice hotels...
we arrived there very impressed by the reception, the staff were very friendly, the hotel is very old but very well maintained.
the room was 340, to the rear of the hotel, looked like it had been newly painted. very basic room. not impressed by the quilt on the bed and the pillows were rock hard.
Then after coming in from a night at the comedy store, approx 11pm we got in bed and at midnight, just dropping off when , what i can only describe as a street cleaning vehicle (we couldnt see it) the noise was so loud and it went on for over an hour. Then at 7 the Drey arrived delivering barrels to the bar again so loud. So up and looking forward to breakfast.. Oh dear the worst we have EVER had . the cooked breakfast was cheap food bacon very fatty, sitting in an cm of grease. sausage tasted awful, toast pre cooked cold. fruit selection very poor. i husband only had a few beans on toast and i had toast after leaving our cooked breakfast. Ruined our stay, will never return to this hotel. we are not fussy and are a working class couple.

Room Tip: dont know the front has a main road, back is very noisy and no double glazing.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,057)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
cockermouth uk
Reviewed 10 January 2014

I booked this stay with little knowledge of the hotel, other than the moderately low score it receives here, and have to say I think it deserves a much better scare.

OK, I have to admit we got this at a bargain price, probably because it was one of those slow weeks, immediately after new year. The hotel seemed almost empty (not in a negative "it felt dead" way, but in a "nice, quiet and relaxed" way).
The information provided was refreshingly honest and said that the 'budget' rooms "May not have windows". Well, ours did.. not the biggest, and starting at about 5' off the floor, they were more than enough for the short days in January, and the room did not feel 'claustrophobic' for that.
It was not a big room, but again, more than enough.
It was perfectly clean, fresh and in good condition.
If I had to search for negative points.. The TV was on a small trolley only about 1' off the floor, not the most comfortable, but certainly nothing to fuss about. The water in the shower was not always at it's hottest a couple of times.
On arrival, the kettle didn't work, but a brief mention to reception had that fixed by the time I'd made it from reception to my room! Impressive.
In the same way, a quick mention at reception or a nice polite note left out resulted in plenty replacement tea bags. Little things like that show attention to detail.
It's position is superb.. yards from Piccadilly gardens... sandwiched between China town and the village.. and yet hardly a whisper of traffic / street noise. We had no 'corridor' noise either.
Very pleased.

Room Tip: We had a very high up room, which possibly reduced the traffic noise.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ray m
Manchester
Reviewed 9 January 2014

I have stayed at this hotel before and found it ok, especially bearing in mind the low cost to stay here. Unfortunately on this occasion it was my worst ever stay in a hotel. The main reason for this was the fact that the room had a very strong smell of cigarettes and I did not sleep for 1 minute.
My stay was very stressful because the smell kept me awake and the traffic noise was also loud in the room. My booking was for a room with no windows but I was given a road frontage room.
I felt unable to complain at the time since I checked in the hotel at around 7:00pm but did not get into the room until around 1:00am after my Christmas Party, so had effectively had the room for 6 hours before I realised I had a smoking room. At 4:00am I considered checking out but instead tried to overcome the problem by spraying the room with a can of body's spray but even this did not cover the smell for more than 5 minutes.
I can't believe that hotel staff do not realise how bad it is to put a non smoker in a room that smells so bad of cigarettes and I was not asked if this was acceptable at the time. I didn't even realise that it was still legal to allow smoking in a hotel room.
Overall this was an exceptionally bad experience that spoiled my Christmas Party night. I expected the staff to ask if I had enjoyed my stay when checking out but no - they didn't care at all

Room Tip: Make sure you get a non smoking room if you don't like to smell cigarettes all night!!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank AAA04

Travellers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Easy to find but not impressed as had to pay £18 for parking in a NCP,only discount for hotel is arriving @ 5pm leaving next day @ 9am,we arrived @ 4 left @ 10 missed out by an hour both ends could have paid £5,50!! Big difference.

Anyhow,the hotel was a massive Victorian building,basic room,nice size bath plus a shower,limited electrical sockets.Wi Fi was available.The was very warm even after turning off the heating,couldn't sleep.Alot of noise from outside.

Breakfast was a help yourself buffet which was average but a strange taste from the sausage! All in all Manchester was a great place to visit but maybe not @ The Britannia!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marian R
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I don't normally write reviews but I was very impressed by my stay at The Britannia Hotel. It was so beautiful in reception with an amazing chandelier as you walk in. The staff were so lovely and very helpful. Our radiator did not turn on and within 30 minutes they had fixed it. We stayed in the executive twin room for only £43 each for two nights! the room was big and cosy with lots of perks. It was loud outside as there was no double glazing but it was not cold. We could also here the people above walking around but that's what you expect for such an old building. Overall it was amazing and I cant wait to stay again.

Room Tip: £20 extra for an executive room is definitely worth it :)
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights in October. Had a room with no window. This was not a problem. Very large room comfortable bed. Ideal location for all transport in manchester city centre. Staff pleasant enough!

• Stayed October 2013
neath
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Stayed at this hotel at the beginning of December 2013 as we were visiting the Christmas market. We were on a coach trip and had no great expectations. However we were pleasantly surprised. Booking in was quite wearing as a lot of coaches arrived at the same time but the reception staff were polite and efficient, The room was value for money although in need of decoration. The food was plentiful and of a good standard. Public areas were clean and comfortable. We were struck by the amount of seemingly random furniture about the place which we found quite amusing! For the amount we paid we have no complaints and would gladly stay there again. It is very central being not far from all main attractions.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple