“Tired - in fact its on a life support!!”

Britannia Manchester Hotel
Ranked #89 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Tring, United Kingdom
“Tired - in fact its on a life support!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014

I was on a two day training course. I went up the night before so stayed for two nights. booked in all seemed good. Although the lobby area was cordoned off at certain points to direct you under the stairs, not that there was a massive queue anywhere??
My room was on the 5th floor so off to the lifts I go. The lift door opened.......eventually and took me to the room. An internal dingy room, where there was more thread on show in the carpet than their was carpet! the room was cold so turned on the paraplegic radiator which couldn't heat up an ant's backside never mind the room itself. There was no window only a 'skylight' in an little alcove in the room, there were insufficient plugs for anything other than was provided, unless I took out the room light to charge my phone, and with a windowless room this did not add to feeling of 'amour'. The next day did not get any better. I woke for a shower but the head was a 'fixed' shower head and I could not move it. Unfortunately, the head was directed at the wall, so I pretty much had to take a crash course in yoga and gymnastics to climb on the taps and take a 'shower!!'.
I gave up on the shower as being 1/2 wet turning around, I was freezing my galoshes off as the radiator was the one mentioned earlier, so resorted to a bath. The bath was nice and warm (thank heaven for small mercies).
Unfortunately, the bath ended and next to the toilet! without going into too much detail here - the toilet rolls may have well been sandpaper - cheap cheap cheap!! After my course ended on the first day I ventured out to the lobby bar, where they were showing a live football match in ARABIC!! (Arsenal V Man U) with a disclaimer on the TV saying this should only be shown in the middle east and north Africa!
I ordered a drink and was surprised at the price of £1.80 a pint!! Yippee my night is looking up, only for the price to change to £3.00 for no particular reason. I had a platter at £10 and this was actually quite nice. A little greasy but still ok as expenses were being paid. Nevertheless, this was the only highlight to staying at the Britannia.
The rooms and décor are rubbish, a little tired I have read in other reviews, 'tired' really doesn't tell you the whole story. Next Time I'll stay at the Thistle a far better place to park your weary head after a training course.

Room Tip: book somewhere else
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank NorthernTringDweller

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,028)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Stone, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014

My wife and I visited Manchester in December 2013 for the Christmas markets. We chose the Britannia due to it's excellent location for the market, China town, shopping and the nightlife. In addition it appeared to be competitively priced at £74 with breakfast. Nearby establishments were taking advantage of seasonal popularity coming in at £120+. I have experience of Britannia hotels but decided to chance my arm.

The hotel was a 10 minute walk from Piccadily train station and does appear to be a grand old building from the outside. I have already mentioned the ideal location but that is pretty much where the positives end. In fairness the reception was very busy but we being checked in within 10 minutes. However, the member of staff dealing with us was obviously a trainee and was asking for advice from another member of staff who was barking back at him and rolling his eyes on each occasion. This of course didn't give a great first impression. We then took the stairs and commenced the long trudge to our room. As I walked I noted the yellowing corridor walls, the smell of stale tobacco and the damage/half finished repair jobs to the carpets, ceilings and wallpaper. To be honest I was by now expecting to be disappointed by and I was pretty spot on. The room was small. The carpet was stained in many places. The bed was 3/4 size not double but the headboard which was rawlplugged to the wall was king size. In fact there were rawlplug holes throughout the room and bathroom which evidenced many a botched job. The furniture and decorations were all tired and worn and resembled something that had come fom a 1970's house clearance or indeed a skip. Only one feeble standard lamp of the 2 in the room worked. The tea making facilities were on a wooden unit on which most of the varnish had flaked off. The tv was laughable and was the same model which I threw out at home in 1998. We could only get BBC1, the remote was so well handled that all of the lettering had worn away and the tv stand was so low that you could only see the top 4 inches of the screen when lying in the bed. We later found out that the grubby window was loose and rattled loudly when anythin bigger than a scooter went by outside. We both fashioned earplugs out of tissue paper to try and supress the noise. My wife begged me to check us in at the Mercure opposite which looked lovely but I couldn't justify the expense. Later on walking back from the markets with takeaway food we decided to eat it on the street as neither of us wanted to eat in the room. We changed to go out for the night and both had that itchy uncomfortable feeling of not wanting to put our clothing into the wardrobe or onto the chair. Neither of us wanted to return to that room at the end of an otherwise great evening. The next morning we skipped the breakfast we had paid for as we thought that the chances of it being good when everything else was so dire were slim. On checkout we were not asked if our stay was ok and I'm pretty sure this is hotel policy. Why invite comment when everything is so desperately poor! I'm certain that everyone employed there knows that the place is way below standard and I didn't want to waste a single minute of my time in the building pointing it out!

To summarise I would say that this hotel is in need of major, major refurbishment which goes way beyond a lick of paint or a new carpet. It needs closing for 6 months and totally gutting from top to bottom. It's a sin for such a building in such a prime location to be plodding on in such a desperate state. I feel sorry for the staff I really do.

Room Tip: Sleep in your car, get the train home, pay more for a better hotel.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Darren R

Travellers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014

Booked a room last minute for one night and thought we would stay here as have stayed in the past. The room we had was as big as a bathroom, was supposed to be a double bed but was 4ft bed and the windows didn't close properly so could hear all the traffic outside. The room was very out of date and in need of renovating. Will stay elsewhere in future.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank reynaldo7
Guernsey, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

we had a double executive room which was not very executive!
dust on walls and i mean months worth it was disgusting, t.v control did not work, kettle did not boil had to put something heavy on it (lampshade). water was not hot just warm with no ventilation. there was no room service whilst we stayed. we drunk out same cup for two days. no lights just lampshades. breakfast was ok except the sausages, many of the fellow visitors complained and following day they still did not change them.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

I Stayed at a cost of £90 for a Saturday night and was very disappointed! Upon room arrival I found the sliding mirrors broken and tilted heavily to one side. A television no bigger then an average shoe box and on the back of the bathroom door - a significant hole by the door handle. I immediately asked for another room and explained my justifications for this. To yhe credit of the hotel they apologised and moved me (new room was marginally better) BUT as I went to get my last bag out of the 'unacceptable' room I found another couple had been allocated it. This must have been a mere few minutes after them apologising and moving me out. Clearly quality control was not a big thing that Saturday night. Further to this there a LOT of loud noise and music from the club below that was not factored in to the advertising, price or any offered solutions to the issue

The Location was at least amazing right near the clubs but there are SEVERAL alternatives also in the vacinity.

A shame as it looks fantastic the second you enter the hotel... It just went downhill from there.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank David S
Mellieha, Malta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

There are many hotels in Manchester but one of the best for it's hospitality is the Britannia. I've been there last week and believe me the hospitality remained the same as it was when I first visited the place way back in 2005. Had been back in 2011 to watch Man Utd clinching the 19th. title in their history and now again back to watch football. I did book online but didn't include the breakfast which was a huge mistake! Upon arrival I was offered the breakfast for 7 pounds instead of almost 11, which to tell you the truth is massive, it's a buffet and it's typically English. It was more then worth it. The hotel in general needs some refurbishments now as it is getting older but that does not apply to the service given and the cleanness of the place, they are superb. Finally the position remains there, steady on Portland Street, the Britannia in the heart of Manchester .

Room Tip: I had been in room 577, this was good but try to ask for a room with window. This room is also non s...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

The rooms are dark and dingy and very out of date fixtures and fittings and furniture, the floors in the hallway uneven, the staff so, so.
It seems from reviews that others are either not too fussy or that the rooms vary greatly in terms of upkeep and renovation. But having said that I cannot reccomend this even at a great price.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business