I was on a two day training course. I went up the night before so stayed for two nights. booked in all seemed good. Although the lobby area was cordoned off at certain points to direct you under the stairs, not that there was a massive queue anywhere??
My room was on the 5th floor so off to the lifts I go. The lift door opened.......eventually and took me to the room. An internal dingy room, where there was more thread on show in the carpet than their was carpet! the room was cold so turned on the paraplegic radiator which couldn't heat up an ant's backside never mind the room itself. There was no window only a 'skylight' in an little alcove in the room, there were insufficient plugs for anything other than was provided, unless I took out the room light to charge my phone, and with a windowless room this did not add to feeling of 'amour'. The next day did not get any better. I woke for a shower but the head was a 'fixed' shower head and I could not move it. Unfortunately, the head was directed at the wall, so I pretty much had to take a crash course in yoga and gymnastics to climb on the taps and take a 'shower!!'.
I gave up on the shower as being 1/2 wet turning around, I was freezing my galoshes off as the radiator was the one mentioned earlier, so resorted to a bath. The bath was nice and warm (thank heaven for small mercies).
Unfortunately, the bath ended and next to the toilet! without going into too much detail here - the toilet rolls may have well been sandpaper - cheap cheap cheap!! After my course ended on the first day I ventured out to the lobby bar, where they were showing a live football match in ARABIC!! (Arsenal V Man U) with a disclaimer on the TV saying this should only be shown in the middle east and north Africa!
I ordered a drink and was surprised at the price of £1.80 a pint!! Yippee my night is looking up, only for the price to change to £3.00 for no particular reason. I had a platter at £10 and this was actually quite nice. A little greasy but still ok as expenses were being paid. Nevertheless, this was the only highlight to staying at the Britannia.
The rooms and décor are rubbish, a little tired I have read in other reviews, 'tired' really doesn't tell you the whole story. Next Time I'll stay at the Thistle a far better place to park your weary head after a training course.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Britannia Hotel Manchester offers great value accommodation in a fantastic Manchester city centre location. The hotel is located in one of Manchester's premier architectural buildings and is grade II listed with outstanding details, such as balconied stairway throughout the building. This Manchester Hotel has two lively bars, where you can dance the night away or have a quiet drink. Jenny's restaurant serves a varied selection of Britain's favourite dishes, whilst the Overstuffed Pizzeria offers freshly cooked pizzas and pastas. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Superbreak UK, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Britannia Manchester Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Britannia Hotel Manchester
- Manchester Britannia Hotel