“christmas shopping dec”

Britannia Manchester Hotel
Ranked #93 of 119 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 18 March 2014

My husband myself stayed here for two nights , the rooms are quite small so is the bathroom but it was clean . The bed was comfortable. The food was nice good choice . Hotel is in a good central spot , its a bit dated but for the price you can't go wrong I would stay there again

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Britannia Manchester Hotel

Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

This hotel needs some SERIOUS investment.

- Stains on bedroom floor (301)
- No blackout curtains so a very light room overnight
- Dinner food - dry, boring, and very off the shelf (packet style) sauces etc
- Service distinctly average at dinner and room service breakfast
- No yoghurt brought with my room service as per my order
- Shower is broken (how does Housekeeping not notice?) Is spits out
- Bed is average
- Pillows flat and cheap

The main staircase is beautiful. Such a shame everything else around it is cheap, chintzy, and generally of a very poor standard.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Had an idea what to expect as I have stayed at the Britannia Aldephi, so wasn't expecting modern rooms or all the mod cons. The hotel its self is amazing, the central staircase and some of its old features really sets the hotel apart from others.

I was extremely disappointed with the service I received and the condition my room was in. I paid an additional £10 to check in early and when I arrived I was informed my room wasn't ready and that I hadn't requested an early check in. As soon as I repeated that I had paid an extra £10 the receptionist changed her mind and mysteriously my room was ready! Why I paid that extra I don't know why because my room wasn't ready, later on that day I went to make a drink and found that the tea pot had not been emptied or cleaned from the previous customer.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Price wise it is hard to beat the Britannia group of hotels,I have used them for many years both for business and leisure purposes. However,you should be aware,that the smaller the amount you pay the more chance you have of receiving one of the legendary rooms with no windows or just a skylight! I have had this pleasure on some occasions and always find it to be quite amusing but anyone whose claustrophobic should pay a little more to avoid this eventuality! This particular hotel is well situated in the Manchester Piccadilly area and only a short walk from the train station of the same name. Breakfast for those who order it is served buffet style but,on my latest visit,I noticed a slip in standard from previous visits in that,some of the food,particularly the eggs had been standing for some time and had become as hard as bullets! Management take note! This criticism is the only thing stopping me from giving full marks!

Room Tip: Pay a little more for something less basic especially if travelling as a couple!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank MRMAGPIE
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We stayed at Britannia Manchester Hotel for a weekend. The hotel itself is in an ideal location: it is just 2 minutes walk from the Arndale Centre and the shops in Manchester City Centre; literally around the corner from Canal Street (the gay village); and only 5 minutes walk from Manchester Piccadilly Station.

We were happy with the room as it was clean and basic, but it was slightly tatty. The bed was very comfortable and there were all of the amenities that you would need, except an iron and ironing board. The en-suite was clean and had a really powerful shower, which is always a bonus. However, the room was billed as an executive room, but I don't know what was 'executive' about it. I expected something more.

We booked the hotel through one of the hotel comparison websites and added the option of half-price breakfast for only £5 each. which we thought was good value, but we wished we hadn't really bothered. The cooked breakfast items were rather cheap and over done (suppose it's better than being underdone!), and were not replaced very quickly when they had run out. As we were in the city centre we could easily have found somewhere else for breakfast that would have been much better for a similar price.

Having said the above we would stay at this hotel again as it wasn't too expensive and was in a great location for what we want when we visit Manchester, but we wouldn't include breakfast.

Room Tip: 'Executive' rooms have windows, the others are internal, but if you are not used to traffic...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Me and my wife has just got back from this hotel and will be revisting the hotel is is a excellent location and staff are really friendly when we checked in we got upgraded free of charge we didn't asked for it but we was very impressed many thanks to you all for having us.

Katie and George Reed

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GeorgeReed
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed here over valentines last minute and it was very good. The rooms were great size, the water was hot and the beds were comfy. We paid £80 for 2 nights for 2 people which is good value (pricey for us as students but fair!)
A good place to stay if you're new to the city

• Stayed: February 2014