“Its ok for 1 night!”

Britannia Manchester Hotel
Ranked #94 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Where to start!
We stayed on the 1st floor for 1 night. Its such a grand and lovely building, stayed here once before its also in a great area of Manchester.
Bad Things
1. The light buzzed in the bathroom every time you put it on
2. The TV keeps making strange buzzing sounds every 3/4 mins
3. Always a buzzing sound also from outside.
4. Carpets are heavily stained (attached pictures)
5. The mattress were awful
6. Food was 2/5
7. No Chairs to sit on in the rooms to do makeup e.t.c.
Good Things
1. The Grand staircase is so eye catching
2. The seating area is comfy
3. Good Location
4. Great Wi-Fi from room

Certainly not a 3* Hotel and ive been in plenty of hotels to understand that the rooms need a good clear out!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here and I guess you get what you pay for. Saying that it wasn't that cheap and certainly more than a premium lodge or holiday inn. After staying here those places look like the Ritz Paris. The room was unbearably hot and had to purchase some flip flops so that my feet didn't touch the floor which was covered in stains. Posted pictures but you would probably find less stains on floor of a Ukrainian brass house. I appreciate the hotel has an old work house charm if that's your thing. How anyone can review this experience positively is beyond me. You have to really look at the previous review's and question the credibility of the submitting individuals. What really got me was the poor attitude and abismal service stemming from the receptionist to the bolshevik like lady serving breakfast. I went downstairs for a coffee without my wallet prior to checking out and was told that she wouldn't give me one unless I paid her immediately. I suggested that I would pay upon checking out however by the look on her face you would think I asked her a question on quantum physics. Disgusting room's, poor attitude and an experience that hypnotherapy to eradicate it from my memory.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Fez127
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I don't normally leave reviews but I drafted this one in my head last night when I was woken up the third time.

The first room I was allocated on the second floor only had a curtain to cover two thirds of the window. I'm not hugely fussy but I want a full curtain! In fairness to the staff they issued me with another room without fuss.

When I went to move my things to the new room on the ground floor I couldn't get the lift to stop for some reason so I had to carry my bags down the stairs. In the room, one of the lamps was broken so it was very dark but I was so tired by then I couldn't be bothered to change room again so decided to make do.

The room was tiny with a narrow single bed and the glass in the bathroom had a huge greasy lipstick mark on it from the previous occupant. The beside table had chewing gum under the rim but the bedding and sheets were clean.

Three things really annoyed me:

1). I had asked for a non smoking room and when I walked in it smelt ok. However all the rooms are so close together that my neighbour's chain smoking swiftly led to my room stinking of cigarette smoke.

2). There was incessant traffic noise. The main road is right outside and even as a normally heavy sleeper I was woken up. Additionally, people in my corridor returned to their rooms talking loudly to each other and slamming their bedroom doors

3). The shower the next morning wouldn't maintain a standard temperature. It would go about 10 seconds at a good temp them go freezing for one second then boiling for one second. My advice if you do stay would be to count carefully!

Like I said, I don't normally leave reviews and I'm trying not to exaggerate or be overly emotional but it was a bad night and it wasn't cheap enough to stay silent!

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank hotel_guest2015
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Childcare sorted & looking forward to a night out in Manchester to see Elbow play M.E.N (fantastic!). Arrived at hotel to very brusque reception, so headed off to room which was on top floor.
I'd paid extra for a window which was so high up there was no chance of seeing out to any view.
Straightaway the room had an overpowering smell of air freshner which was almost choking! Whilst the bathroom looked clean, the bedroom had stained, torn carpet. Where previous guests had spilt tea/coffee, the splashes remained on the tired furniture. I'm all for old or period style but not bashed about & grubby.
There were stains on the wall...it just felt very unloved.
I headed downstairs to meet my husband in the bar- took 3 attempts to find a seat that wasn't stained or dirty. It was very noisey with people just shouting at each other?! This wasn't the hotel's fault but it did feel uncomfortable.
Yes the staircase on entry is stunning and the external facade at night really attractive but scratch the surface and there's a lot of TLC needed here :( shame for such a glorious old building.
My husband checked the room & we decided for a rare night out this simply wasn't the place for us; we wanted to relax and enjoy ourselves so, we left. Not ideal to lose the money we paid & then have to pay again elsewhere but, I certainly wasn't happy at the Britannia. It wasn't just our room, I could have asked to change that - the place just felt grubby, tired and hectic!

Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Karen W
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Very nice hotel , centrally located .. friendly staff , very nice communal areas a grand stair case and price wasnt too high , which was great ! rooms very cosy and comfy . However an update of furniture would do wonders ! just a thought !
I'll BE BACK!

1  Thank j F
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We were here 2 nights with a National Holidays coach trip. We thought it extremely good value for a central location. Room was very nice, nice bathroom, very clean. Superbly comfortable bed. The staircase is stunning. The bar and communal areas are lovely, with an eclectic mix of old furniture. Only one downside we found, the food in the evenings in the main restaurant was in the main overcooked and like school dinners. However, the breakfasts were very good, lots of choice. There was a separate Italian place which we didn't try. Can't complain for the price. Location spot on for seeing Manchester in a couple of days. Would recommend.

1  Thank carolr13
Reviewed 13 April 2014

cheaper than most places,but apart from the grand stairway,this hotel is dated,dirty,smells of smoke,gets lots of hen and stag parties in,and is really not a 3 star.So noisey we didnt get to sleep till 3am.Had to return my food in the stuffed pizza resturant underneath the hotel,and still had to pay half,please try somewhere else.

Room Tip: go somewhere else.