“needs re vamp but pleasant staff”

Britannia Manchester Hotel
Ranked #92 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
lincolnshire
“needs re vamp but pleasant staff”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Hotel extremely in need on refurbishment, will no doubt cost millions to do, however we encountered very pleasant staff, clean room even though dated, carpet needed good clean as very stained in places with nails poking through.
It served a purpose of 2 nights sleeping, would not however return unless updated.
It is a fabulous old hotel and it is a shame it is not kept up to standard.
Did not eat at the hotel, only had one breakfast the second morning we ate breakfast elsewhere.

Room Tip: none except choose another hotel
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,051)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
norway
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I stayed at the Britannia Hotel with my wife for 5 days in April 2014 we had a very nice time the food was very good the check in & check out was very quick every thing was very good We will go there again soon i hope

Room Tip: 5 floor is the Best
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank georgeNorway
Glossop, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2014

This hotel is very Grand, but the rooms and service are not up to scratch!

When we arrived it took a very long time to checked in as the staff were certainly not quick and they allowed people to push in the queue!
When we were eventually served and got our key we went to the room to find it was on a smoking floor! (I had requested no smoking as I have asthma). I immedidate phoned reception to be told I would have to go back down to sort it out. When I got to the reception I was told there were no more rooms as the hotel was full! I then had to say that I wasn't leaving the reception until they resolved the problem with the room...

and what a supprise... they found a non smoking room in their full hotel!! When we arrived at the 2nd room we found that there version of a twin room is a double bed with a camper bed at the side! and that some of the lights didn't even work.

This hotel was not cheap and I can honestly say that I will never stay there again...

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Katherine S

Travellers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I stayed at The Britannia Hotel on 16th April with my family and it was fantastic. It looked a little bit tired on the outside but once inside it transported you back to another more gentler age. The staircase was magnificent all the way up to the 5th floor. You could imagine ladies in crinolines coming down them in a previous time. The rooms were very well equipped and very clean. The staff were very helpful and we would definitely go back and very soon xx

Room Tip: I was in a twin and it was lovely and roomy x
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lynda H
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Where to start!
We stayed on the 1st floor for 1 night. Its such a grand and lovely building, stayed here once before its also in a great area of Manchester.
Bad Things
1. The light buzzed in the bathroom every time you put it on
2. The TV keeps making strange buzzing sounds every 3/4 mins
3. Always a buzzing sound also from outside.
4. Carpets are heavily stained (attached pictures)
5. The mattress were awful
6. Food was 2/5
7. No Chairs to sit on in the rooms to do makeup e.t.c.
Good Things
1. The Grand staircase is so eye catching
2. The seating area is comfy
3. Good Location
4. Great Wi-Fi from room

Certainly not a 3* Hotel and ive been in plenty of hotels to understand that the rooms need a good clear out!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here and I guess you get what you pay for. Saying that it wasn't that cheap and certainly more than a premium lodge or holiday inn. After staying here those places look like the Ritz Paris. The room was unbearably hot and had to purchase some flip flops so that my feet didn't touch the floor which was covered in stains. Posted pictures but you would probably find less stains on floor of a Ukrainian brass house. I appreciate the hotel has an old work house charm if that's your thing. How anyone can review this experience positively is beyond me. You have to really look at the previous review's and question the credibility of the submitting individuals. What really got me was the poor attitude and abismal service stemming from the receptionist to the bolshevik like lady serving breakfast. I went downstairs for a coffee without my wallet prior to checking out and was told that she wouldn't give me one unless I paid her immediately. I suggested that I would pay upon checking out however by the look on her face you would think I asked her a question on quantum physics. Disgusting room's, poor attitude and an experience that hypnotherapy to eradicate it from my memory.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Fez127
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I don't normally leave reviews but I drafted this one in my head last night when I was woken up the third time.

The first room I was allocated on the second floor only had a curtain to cover two thirds of the window. I'm not hugely fussy but I want a full curtain! In fairness to the staff they issued me with another room without fuss.

When I went to move my things to the new room on the ground floor I couldn't get the lift to stop for some reason so I had to carry my bags down the stairs. In the room, one of the lamps was broken so it was very dark but I was so tired by then I couldn't be bothered to change room again so decided to make do.

The room was tiny with a narrow single bed and the glass in the bathroom had a huge greasy lipstick mark on it from the previous occupant. The beside table had chewing gum under the rim but the bedding and sheets were clean.

Three things really annoyed me:

1). I had asked for a non smoking room and when I walked in it smelt ok. However all the rooms are so close together that my neighbour's chain smoking swiftly led to my room stinking of cigarette smoke.

2). There was incessant traffic noise. The main road is right outside and even as a normally heavy sleeper I was woken up. Additionally, people in my corridor returned to their rooms talking loudly to each other and slamming their bedroom doors

3). The shower the next morning wouldn't maintain a standard temperature. It would go about 10 seconds at a good temp them go freezing for one second then boiling for one second. My advice if you do stay would be to count carefully!

Like I said, I don't normally leave reviews and I'm trying not to exaggerate or be overly emotional but it was a bad night and it wasn't cheap enough to stay silent!

• Stayed April 2014