“dont believe all the bad reviews”

Britannia Manchester Hotel
Ranked #93 of 119 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel for two nights with a coach party with majestic , and having read most of the awful reviews,was a bit wary as to what to expect.
However, I had a super room on the fourth floor,although I was on my own ,it was an executive double room and absolutely spotless.
the jenny restaurant where we had our meals was large and plenty of space, and the food was very very good. excellent breakfasts, and even better evening meals with choice of carvery.
Although the Hotel looked a bit jaded along the corridors to the rooms, The food and friendly restaurant staff made up for that.

Room Tip: Fourth Floor is excellent.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank choosy65
There are newer reviews for Britannia Manchester Hotel

Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

OK, firstly let me say that for £45 per night I wasn't expecting The Ritz. The building is beautiful and the hotel are retaining its features well. That's as far as it goes in terms of a positive review. The decor is tired and outdated. The rooms (mine anyway) was damaged and uncomfortable. Breakfast is a crime at £10.95, particularly when there are so many places nearby. Now, as I said, I wasn't expecting 5 star accommodation but is it really asking too much to get an alarm call? No. No call and a flimsy excuse for an apology from reception staff. I missed my train and had to pay almost £80 for a replacement thanks to the lack of basic hospitality at Britannia. All in all, a very disappointing stay.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank easymate
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Just back from a mid-week 2 night stay. Our coach party was all inclusive. Hotel, beautiful, in need of TLC never the less clean. My double room(on my own) was lovely, lots of hangers, spotless. Staff efficient and friendly especially in dining area. As a veggi I take what I'm given but, the food here was very poor, veg, overcooked and the veggi option was meat free only, no protein with pasta and tinned tomatoes. Orange juice so watered down tasted like water. What a shame that food has let down this beautiful hotel. Shame on you.

Room Tip: I was on 4th floor. 3 windows, very quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

I'm going to keep this short - don't book this hotel! We booked a Superior Double for a night as I was due to be in Manchester for the X-Factor auditions..... Reception was ok but the dodgy bars below the hotel should have indicated what was in store! The room was large but exceptionally tired with stained carpets, one wardrobe door missing, threadbare chairs, holes in the bathroom door and a terribly uncomfortable bed.... Bathroom was small but again tired! We walked out and the only reason why I gave this review 1* is that they did not haggle on the refund!!!!! Don't waste your money on this hotel - avoid at all costs! It's definitely not 3* and personally I've stayed in B&B's that were better!!!!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Craig J
Reviewed 1 May 2014

This building is amazing, old and in some parts in disrepair but beautiful. My room was perfectly clean and serviced each day of my stay by friendly and polite staff. The only staff I found surly and unwelcoming were ironically the reception staff. I would definitely stay here again. This hotel is perfectly situated for a great city break.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 May 2014

First of all I would like to thank Andrew in reception for all his help on Weds 30th April. He helped with holding my luggage, charging my phone, looking after shopping goods. Really terrific service, always polite and didn't get flustered or annoyed by repeated requests. Keep up the excellent work as us customers will appreciate it very much! On the other end of the spectrum, I slipped in the bathroom of my room. There was no water on the floor, so its an issue with the flooring. Apart from that I didn't spend enough time in the room to really examine it too much but it was strange that a) the tv remote wasnt working (even though batteries in the remote) b) the carpet looked a mess.. c) it was strange that apart from 2 bedside lamps there wasn't a ceiling light so if i had wanted to work during the day i'd have problems.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Great location but that's as far as it goes. The place needs millions spending on it. Where the carpets aren't threadbare they're patched up with gaffer tape and the ceilings are pock marked throughout with damp patches all over the place.
Should have realised how cash strapped the place is when I phoned them, they charge you for the phone call even if you make a reservation. Bloody cheek.
The entrance is an ash tray, with complimentary beggars lining the walls of the hotel, and the whole of the ground floor is occupied by cheap, noisy bars selling fast food.
When you do get to bed they are no more than put-me-ups, and you are lucky to be able to sleep with the constant noise from the ground floor hell holes and ignorant noisy guests rolling in drunk at all hours up to 4.45am.
One point of amusement are the TV's in the room. They must have been a bulk purchase from a car boot sale, haven't seen models like them since 1990.
This review may seem a bit harsh, but read it, and if you do book a room, you will regret it.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends