“The staff are it's only redeeming feature”

Britannia Manchester Hotel
Ranked #93 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Stayed here for one night after a concert at The Etihad end of May 2014. Three adults and one 9 year old in a family room which was a very good size but was dirty, tired and desperately in need of a refurb.
We were allocated a room on the first floor and only when we returned after the concert did we realise that we were right above the nightclub which on a Saturday night was NOISY!! Needless to say we asked to be moved and fortunately Paul the guy on duty that night was very understanding and apologetic towards us and sorted the problem out swiftly and even thanked us for accepting the alternative room. He couldn't apologise enough at the fact that whoever checked us in earlier had allocated us a room above the nightclub when we had a young child with us. If it hadn't been for his gentle calmng and sincere manner things could have turned out much worse and I think he deserves a mention and probably a pay rise too.
Breakfast was fine, nothing to complain about and again the staff were brilliant. One of the chefs came out of the kitchen to top up the supplies and apologised to me for another guest spilling apple juice on the floor in front of me, and promptly mopped it up.
The hotel was probably very grand in it's day but today it needs some TLC and a good few million spending on it, carpets in the room had dust balls on them and were threadbare, fixtures were out of the ark and on the whole the two rooms that we had were quite depressing.
Location wise it's pretty good for the city centre and Canal St area and it's a 25-30 minute walk to the Etihad Stadium which was well lit coming back from the concert late at night.
For me the redeeming feature was the staff, couldn't fault them at all and their Managers should be proud that they do such a good job given the complaints and niggles from guests that I'm pretty sure they must encounter on a daily basis

Room Tip: If you stay on weekends request a room as far away from the nightclub as possible
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank BaggageAllowance
Write a ReviewReviews (4,222)

Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend stayed just for one night and this hotel was just right for that. Lovely lobby and staircase, room nice, clean and basic. Reasonable price, got what I paid for.

Only complaint was the sheer heat of the room in the morning. As the sun came through the window is heated up the room, there was no way of opening the windows and no air conditioning. Made us make a very quick get up and go as was too hot to bare!

Otherwise was a pleasant stay.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 June 2014

On entering the Britannia the lobby is stunning, Extremely clean, Staff very helpful, Rooms need modernising, but on the whole a lovely place to stay, 5 mins walk from the station so we left teh car at home, literally 2 mins walk to all the shops. Only downside was our room was at the front of the hotel so noise was heard until at least 4 in the morning xx

Room Tip: Ask for a room towards the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 June 2014

The hotel is in a good location for sure, the lobby looks great and you think you are getting much more then you are. I was very impressed when walking in but once I got to the room, it was a huge let down. It was just grotty. It did have like an odd little roof window and so we got some sunlight in. Tiny little old box telly and dirty carpets but hey, I was only there for one night so I was not about to complain but once the music started, somewhere on the ground floor and i was on the 5th and could not sleep, I asked to have the room changed. It took an awful lot but I finally manged, should not have bothered, got an even grottier room, no window at all and even worse pillows and bed, both rock hard. I will give this place two starts, just for the lovely lobby and enterence, but please do stay away if you want a good nights sleep. And dont expect anything at all from the staff, they might be fed up with working there anyway, most guests must be complaining. Hope someone else takes over this wonderful building and makes it a proper hotel that people will enjoy.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank lisa026
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel soley as a budget option and made my reservation via booking.com. Understanding that it was an old run-down property in need of modernisation I didn't object to the dirty wall-paper peeling from the walls, the old carpets that would benefit from a quick machine cleaning ir the huge chip in the enamel in the bottom of the old bath...however I really do object to being charged a surcharge for using my credit card when my booking confirmation said that there were no extra charges and the adverstised price would be the price I'd pay. Booking.com are taking this up with the hotel directly as it contravenes one or two legal points. It was only £2 that if it had been included in the price or I had been notified in advance about I would not have quibbled...just a matter of principle and deceitful practice!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Stephen D
Reviewed 5 June 2014

The britania hotel in Manchester ,is a nice hotel if staying in Manchester it's in an excellent location for shopping eating out,,the gay village behind the hotel and many more ,I've stayed at this hotel alot of times even new years eve,,the staff are so friendly and make you so welcome,,a few tips if you know your going to Manchester on a certain day book this hotel early as poss the earlier you book the hotel the cheaper you get it for,,I've got the room for 45 pound for a sat night and the rooms and hotel are nice,,also ask for a high floor room cuts out any noise.

Room Tip: Ask for high floor ,or any above the second floor cuts the noise out from the night clubs under the...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alan H
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I know what am getting when you check in here, so, on that count, I cant be too scathing.
Plus points, the location, and the price. The rest, must border on unlawful.
Tried to check in, was rudely told we had no booking, 30 mins later it turned out that we did, and indeed the ignoramus at the desk was in the wrong. An aggressive manager tried to apologise but his unfelt words fell onto my deaf ears. From reception, to the rooms, its like a hostel, a brothel from 1930s France, its a maze of corridors and a cesspit.
Into the room, the bed is already broken, there is no window (I knew this when booked it), BUT, its also ROASTING, def over 30 degree in the room, Now, have a shower and with the steam, it is near pass out material. The last guests had also urinated in the kettle. Its a hovel, a hole and a dive and how it allows to trade as a "hotel" beats me, the Bellgrove Homeless Shelter in Glasgow is a better option than this stinking sh1thole.
Course, 2 emails sent to the hotel direct have been left unanswered
Course, nobody from the hotel puts up any fight on this site, or any other?
Wonder why....

Room Tip: Make sure you get a window !!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends