“Would not stay here again!!”

Britannia Manchester Hotel
Ranked #94 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 11 June 2014

The hotel is in a good location, the lobby looks great and you think you are getting much more then you are. I was very impressed when walking in, but once I got to the room, it was a huge let down. It was just grotty. The bed was rock hard and the pillows extremely thin, It did have a window but that didn't close properly and there was loads of stains on the carpet.Tiny little old box telly, that didn't work properly nor did the remote but hey, I was only there for one night so I was not going to complain but at 5am there was a beer delivery which was extremely loud and could not get back to sleep,The only reason I am giving it stars is due to the lovely lobby and enterence, but please do stay!! I'd recommend you stay somewhere nicer, I felt like I was squatting!! Hope someone else takes over this wonderful building and makes it a proper hotel that people will enjoy.

• Stayed: June 2014
Write a ReviewReviews (4,200)

Reviewed 11 June 2014

My wife booked via Groupon for my birthday and upgraded to an Executive room.
The room was a 'family' room with a double and a single bed - not much room. There were crumbs on the floor and the taps in the bathroom were not even fastened to the sink properly and felt like they would come apart at any time. She asked for a non smoker room but there was an ashtray and a smell in the room. There was no complementary newspaper or the offer of a wake up service. The parking facilities, advertised at 5 mins walk took 15 to 20 mins to get there ( why are hotels allowed to say this ) When we went to the gents/ladies at breakfast our shoes were sticking to God knows what on the floor
We asked the reception if we were in a 'standard' room and they said 'yes' When told we were to be upgraded we were told it was a 'standard executive' room. Not satisfied we asked for another room. It was better but by then a 'sour' taste had been left in our mouths. On a positive note the staff were great and the food exceptional. It is a great building with loads of interesting features. It is a shame but there you go

Room Tip: Make sure in advance you are getting what you book
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Stayed here for one night after a concert at The Etihad end of May 2014. Three adults and one 9 year old in a family room which was a very good size but was dirty, tired and desperately in need of a refurb.
We were allocated a room on the first floor and only when we returned after the concert did we realise that we were right above the nightclub which on a Saturday night was NOISY!! Needless to say we asked to be moved and fortunately Paul the guy on duty that night was very understanding and apologetic towards us and sorted the problem out swiftly and even thanked us for accepting the alternative room. He couldn't apologise enough at the fact that whoever checked us in earlier had allocated us a room above the nightclub when we had a young child with us. If it hadn't been for his gentle calmng and sincere manner things could have turned out much worse and I think he deserves a mention and probably a pay rise too.
Breakfast was fine, nothing to complain about and again the staff were brilliant. One of the chefs came out of the kitchen to top up the supplies and apologised to me for another guest spilling apple juice on the floor in front of me, and promptly mopped it up.
The hotel was probably very grand in it's day but today it needs some TLC and a good few million spending on it, carpets in the room had dust balls on them and were threadbare, fixtures were out of the ark and on the whole the two rooms that we had were quite depressing.
Location wise it's pretty good for the city centre and Canal St area and it's a 25-30 minute walk to the Etihad Stadium which was well lit coming back from the concert late at night.
For me the redeeming feature was the staff, couldn't fault them at all and their Managers should be proud that they do such a good job given the complaints and niggles from guests that I'm pretty sure they must encounter on a daily basis

Room Tip: If you stay on weekends request a room as far away from the nightclub as possible
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank BaggageAllowance
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend stayed just for one night and this hotel was just right for that. Lovely lobby and staircase, room nice, clean and basic. Reasonable price, got what I paid for.

Only complaint was the sheer heat of the room in the morning. As the sun came through the window is heated up the room, there was no way of opening the windows and no air conditioning. Made us make a very quick get up and go as was too hot to bare!

Otherwise was a pleasant stay.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 June 2014

On entering the Britannia the lobby is stunning, Extremely clean, Staff very helpful, Rooms need modernising, but on the whole a lovely place to stay, 5 mins walk from the station so we left teh car at home, literally 2 mins walk to all the shops. Only downside was our room was at the front of the hotel so noise was heard until at least 4 in the morning xx

Room Tip: Ask for a room towards the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 June 2014

The hotel is in a good location for sure, the lobby looks great and you think you are getting much more then you are. I was very impressed when walking in but once I got to the room, it was a huge let down. It was just grotty. It did have like an odd little roof window and so we got some sunlight in. Tiny little old box telly and dirty carpets but hey, I was only there for one night so I was not about to complain but once the music started, somewhere on the ground floor and i was on the 5th and could not sleep, I asked to have the room changed. It took an awful lot but I finally manged, should not have bothered, got an even grottier room, no window at all and even worse pillows and bed, both rock hard. I will give this place two starts, just for the lovely lobby and enterence, but please do stay away if you want a good nights sleep. And dont expect anything at all from the staff, they might be fed up with working there anyway, most guests must be complaining. Hope someone else takes over this wonderful building and makes it a proper hotel that people will enjoy.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank lisa026
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel soley as a budget option and made my reservation via booking.com. Understanding that it was an old run-down property in need of modernisation I didn't object to the dirty wall-paper peeling from the walls, the old carpets that would benefit from a quick machine cleaning ir the huge chip in the enamel in the bottom of the old bath...however I really do object to being charged a surcharge for using my credit card when my booking confirmation said that there were no extra charges and the adverstised price would be the price I'd pay. Booking.com are taking this up with the hotel directly as it contravenes one or two legal points. It was only £2 that if it had been included in the price or I had been notified in advance about I would not have quibbled...just a matter of principle and deceitful practice!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business