A very tried, dated hotel in desperate need of refurbishment.
The public areas are quite grand and impressive, unfortunately this is in stark contrast to the private rooms.
The first impression we had of the room was how dark it was, we knew it had no windows but we have stayed in these type of rooms elsewhere and they usually compensate with improved lighting, not here, although the dark state of the room did help to hide the general state of the fixtures and fittings, the carpet being thread bare and stained, the furniture looking like a charity shop would reject it and a TV that was out the ark, not that it really mattered as you couldn't see it from the bed and it only received a handful of channels with a terrible picture.
These things I could have forgiven as it was just a one night stay but when returning to the hotel after our night out it was like returning to a night club after party, it was a fight to the door, past bouncers and clubbers and the music from the basement in house nightclub could be heard clearly until 3am even on the 5th floor.
The only thing I really ask of a hotel is a good night sleep and this one failed.
I'm a big fan of striking while the iron is hot and requested to see the manager the following morning, he agreed that all the points I have mentioned above where valid and correct, he stated that the rooms where indeed in desperate need of refurbishment, and commented that the basement club had recently had its sound system upgraded, unfortunately this had been done BEFORE upgrading the sound deadening in the hotel.
He continued to add that the 10% discretionary discount he was authorised to give did not go far enough considering the discomfort we had endured and told us to contact head office and give them all the details, this has turned out to be a mistake.
Head office have been completely disinterested in our complaint, taking over 6 weeks to reply and then just offering a discount on another stay, something we aren't really interested in.
We have expressed our disappointment with their current compensation offer and are awaiting their reply, considering Premier Inn which could be considered a 'budget' hotel chain offer a "great nights sleep or your money back" no quibble guarantee I see this as the least this large chain should offer its customers.
So in conclusion, avoid, unless you plan on clubbing until after 3am and don't mind a little filth.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Britannia Hotel Manchester offers great value accommodation in a fantastic Manchester city centre location. The hotel is located in one of Manchester's premier architectural buildings and is grade II listed with outstanding details, such as balconied stairway throughout the building. This Manchester Hotel has two lively bars, where you can dance the night away or have a quiet drink. Jenny's restaurant serves a varied selection of Britain's favourite dishes, whilst the Overstuffed Pizzeria offers freshly cooked pizzas and pastas. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Odigeo, Ctrip TA, Ebookers, Expedia, Hotels.com, Superbreak UK, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HRS, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Britannia Manchester Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Britannia Hotel Manchester
- Manchester Britannia Hotel