“In desperate need of a revamp”

Britannia Manchester Hotel
Ranked #92 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
“In desperate need of a revamp”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

A very tried, dated hotel in desperate need of refurbishment.
The public areas are quite grand and impressive, unfortunately this is in stark contrast to the private rooms.
The first impression we had of the room was how dark it was, we knew it had no windows but we have stayed in these type of rooms elsewhere and they usually compensate with improved lighting, not here, although the dark state of the room did help to hide the general state of the fixtures and fittings, the carpet being thread bare and stained, the furniture looking like a charity shop would reject it and a TV that was out the ark, not that it really mattered as you couldn't see it from the bed and it only received a handful of channels with a terrible picture.
These things I could have forgiven as it was just a one night stay but when returning to the hotel after our night out it was like returning to a night club after party, it was a fight to the door, past bouncers and clubbers and the music from the basement in house nightclub could be heard clearly until 3am even on the 5th floor.
The only thing I really ask of a hotel is a good night sleep and this one failed.
I'm a big fan of striking while the iron is hot and requested to see the manager the following morning, he agreed that all the points I have mentioned above where valid and correct, he stated that the rooms where indeed in desperate need of refurbishment, and commented that the basement club had recently had its sound system upgraded, unfortunately this had been done BEFORE upgrading the sound deadening in the hotel.
He continued to add that the 10% discretionary discount he was authorised to give did not go far enough considering the discomfort we had endured and told us to contact head office and give them all the details, this has turned out to be a mistake.
Head office have been completely disinterested in our complaint, taking over 6 weeks to reply and then just offering a discount on another stay, something we aren't really interested in.
We have expressed our disappointment with their current compensation offer and are awaiting their reply, considering Premier Inn which could be considered a 'budget' hotel chain offer a "great nights sleep or your money back" no quibble guarantee I see this as the least this large chain should offer its customers.
So in conclusion, avoid, unless you plan on clubbing until after 3am and don't mind a little filth.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SteveJ19732014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,051)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 7 July 2014

At least my stay wasn't. I booked through laterooms and got a standard (these have windows!) single for half price, and the breakfast was half price too. All in all 60 quid. The common areas of the hotel are dated but grand. The room was clean; rather small and the carpet a bit tatty, but fine for one person for one or two nights. Although a single room the bed was like a small double, and it was comfy enough. The bathroom was fine. The breakfast, a buffet style thing, was plentiful and there was a good choice.

I found the staff to be perfectly courteous and efficient. At breakfast particularly the wait staff were friendly and keen to help. I'm not sure why the comments on the staff are so negative on here, but maybe I was lucky.

I stayed on Saturday night and yes, it is loud outside but it's Manchester city centre, not sure what people expect. It's hardly known for being a monastic retreat.

To be honest I would not pay full price to stay here, but for the money I paid I thought it was great value, especially as even a private room in a hostel would have cost £70 without breakfast. I'd definitely do it again if I could get a similar deal.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms (City?) apparently don't have windows so do check if that's important to y...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Stoke-on-trent
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

On first reviews I thought hmmm will judge myself and so glad I did the room was perfect and did everything they cud to help me and my girlfriend out as she had planned to purpose to me and they did everything they could to help her out arranged the flowers n champagne n a little card along with will marry me it was amazing, room service was speedy and brilliant food hot on arrival and tasty room very clean an spacious bathroom the shower was hot and the bath nice and deep to have a long soak in bed very comfy and very clean and definitely will be stopping again for our anniversary n also considering it's in centre of Manchester it's quite quite but what do I expect really great value for money

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014

My stay here was awful. Dirty hotel (although the sheets were clean) but everywhere else was
in great need of cleaning and decorating. I was travelling alone and did not feel safe in this old delapidated building, so pleased it was only for one night. The price was £98.00 with £7.00 for breakfast, there are so many other hotels much better than this. The noise from the street was so loud and the staff were not really helpful

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We chose this hotel for the location, which is excellent. When you enter the hotel it's like stepping back in time with a wonderful staircase and huge chandeliers; it's a grand old building so full of charm.
We booked a standard room on a B&B basis (June 28th 2014) and were delighted when we opened the door to room 428 to find we had been allocated a suite!!! How lovely, especially as it was our 39th wedding anniversary and we were going on a tour of corrie - our lucky day...
The suite was spotless, had a Jacuzzi bath (shame didn't have time to use it), power shower and tea & coffee etc. with lots of wardrobe space too.
Being a central location, it was noisy at night but that's only to be expected and after a few glasses of red wine sleep was inevitable!
Breakfast was delicious, with plenty of choice.
Staff were all very pleasant and professional and made us feel very welcome. We would return and recommend.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

I've stayed here for years, it never gets any better it just gets more and more expensive!

40 years ago this would have been a beautiful hotel! Now it's redundant, dangerous and dirty!

The staff can be very rude at times, you're not a customer you're just an annoyance!

This whole hotel chain is a waste of time, I can't stand them! I've finished with the Britannia from now on! I've had it,

Don't be fooled by nice pictures of glorious rooms, they probably do have a room that looks like the images however I can assure the one you book won't!

If you have a window you're lucky, if the TV works don't expect a remote! A pot of tea, what can I say apart from thank you to the previous guest for leaving me this along with a used tissue stuffed down the side of the bed!

Just a dirty horrid hotel, that is used by late night prostitutes and rent boys! I am very sorry to say, however I have seen this blatant obvious activity going on and it's a disgrace!

That's all I have to say about this! Stay away for your own health and safety!

Stayed June 2014
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Our tour group checked in around 9 PM and checked out next day after breakfast. So it was basically a very short stay. But I found the room was comfortable, clean. Only the TV was kind of outdated.

Building is very old, The reception area and stairway is grand. Read some of the review below. But my experience was that bad.

Close to Tram centre. Had a morning walk around the hotel. Place seems to be in center of the city. Tried to take a tram ride till media city, but heard I wont be able to return back as the service will be closed by the time I would reach media city.

Reception staff were helpful and friendly.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family