“Oh dear!”

Britannia Manchester Hotel
Ranked #93 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I think I have to give at least a one star rating by default, but in reality minus five would be more accurate. My wife and I stayed on the 27th using a KGB deal. I could go on and on about the state of the room, bathroom, stains on the carpet, broken window latches etc, in fact I have the photo's to prove it, but it has already been said and frankly having only just completed an intensive week of trauma therapy, following my stay, my therapist has told me to try and remain calm and not get too excited.

Two questions
1. Britannia management/directors/owners - what are you doing - are you deliberately running down your hotels - I say hotels because when I last checked at least two of your other hotels in Manchester were rated as badly if not worse on Tripadvisor. Having said that your staff were brilliant - you definitely do not deserve them!
2. KGB - do you not vet companies like Britannia to stop them from ripping YOUR customers off?
SHAME ON YOU BRITANNIA AND KGB

Room Tip: avoid this place like the plague as therapy is very expensive
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,222)

Reviewed 7 August 2014

My trip got off to a bad start when I checked in at the Hotel and was asked "do you want to upgrade to a room with a window?" Not the sort of question one expects. My room was £50 a night double with Booking.com. The 'extra' window another £10 a night. In fact this was not actually a window at all but a 4cm opening in the ornamental round windows on the 5th floor. The room was very stuffy and I can't even start to imagine what the rooms without windows must be like.
The general appearance of the hotel is very shabby and is in need of a complete refurb.
Staff were effecient and the room was clean with comfotable beds. The TV was vintage 1980.
Good central location and cheap but don't be fooled by the grandeur!

Room Tip: Room with a proper window
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Gota say this is probably one of worst hotels I have stayed in.

On check in I was allocated a cupboard with no windows or AirCon, the desk did upgrade me to a room with windows and air!.

The furniture looks like it should have been thrown out 20 years ago along with the massive Tubed Tv that gave a snowy picture.

Eating experience, well after tasting breakfast once I decided to take meals out. The Breakfast was totally tasteless, I tried some toast which was cold and had been left under a lamp.

I certainly would not consider a Britannia Hotel again what ever the budget.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Patroni2013
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the 4 poster suite. Some of the decor was slightly tired but overall it was a great stay. Large spacious room and the bed was very comfy. I would stay again. The staff were very helpful and the all you can eat buffet in the morning was fabulous. It had everything you wanted.

Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 6 August 2014

The hotel is in a good location for what I needed had two rooms 418 and 419.

Both of us have been bitten due to bed bugs. When I told the staff there was no apology. My window didn't close due to wood expansion and so was noisy. Walls and curtains were mucky and the place had a general grotty feel. Will be reporting the case of bed bugs to Manchester council. Don't stay its cheap for a reason! !

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank katyhamilton
Reviewed 6 August 2014

The hotel itself is in prime location in Manchester, it looks good on the face of it and reception seems quite swanky. Thats were it ends! The room I stayed in was a joke, luckily I was only staying for a works night out otherwise I would have demnaded a move. The bed was concave, and I often woke up being rolled to the middle, the wallpaper was peeling off and dusty plaster on the floor, floor to ceiling curtains had no window behind them??? Was expecting a view of the cirty but instead more 30 yr old wall paper. Uncomfortable, smelly, dirty and expensive and thats just the room, the breakfast was pretty poor, poor choice, tiny glasses for a drink so you spend more time up and down filling up. Get a tent and go to the park, you will have a better experience

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank pubcrawler1980
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We are really unhappy with our stay at the Britannia hotel. We were on a 15 hour flight excluding the transit time and being really tired were looking forward to a nice shower and rest. I asked for a room with a nice view and was given room 613 and 612. No one told us about all the stairs we had to carry our luggage up because the elevator stop on the 5th floor. No view due to the wall, no aircon or fan and nearly 40 'C. After complaining I was told they can only change our rooms in two hours time and brought us fans. You can sleep with a open window due to the traffic noise. Then the shower head is broken and flooded the bathroom floor and the hot water tap is loose and does not work probably. The light does not work. The televisions are outdated and the remote nearly never works. The closet had one door missing.
We have stayed in Tokyo, Daejeon, Vienna and Seoul but this was the most expensive and horrible stay we have experience.
We were looking forward to stay in this historic building but much to our disappointment. The hotel has so much potential but is neglected and not maintained.

Room Tip: In summer, stay on the ground floor if you have no other hotel to choose from.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business