“Not worth the money paid ”

Britannia Manchester Hotel
Ranked #92 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
“Not worth the money paid ”
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

We booked a last minute stay for this hotel and unfortunately didn't look on here first!

I will start with the good points:

- the location is fab.. Right in the centre we managed to find a car park 2minute walk from the hotel for £8 for 24 hours

- the outside of the hotel is quite amazing lovely building.. The inside/desk/ beautiful staircase
- had a bath and shower in the room

The bad points:
• the room was so hot that we had to leave early (we had a window the size of a catflap!)

• the room was very small and basic not worth the price we paid

• Staines on the carpet

• overall quite dirty and dated

I personally wouldn't recommend this hotel for the price paid

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Newsmile T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,060)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Location - the location is outstanding, it is a nice 2/3 minute walk to the main high street and Arndale shopping centre but it is around the corner so it's not too loud or anything like that. There are clubs connected to either side of the hotel but when you're inside the hotel you can't hear anything from the nightclubs so that's a bonus. The closest strip of bars is called Printworks which is situated on the other side of Arndale shopping centre (6/7 minute walk)
Hotel - the hotel itself is really nice in public places e.g. Reception, lobby, stairs, bar. There is security on a night so nobody who isn't a resident is able to enter the building.
Room - The room was a little bit of a let down and speaking with other couples they felt the same way too, we did pay for the internal room with no windows which was the cheapest so really you could say we got what we payed for. It was a nice little quiet room but the air con was fairly loud and you couldn't really feel that it was on, when returning to the room at night it felt like an oven, if you are staying in one of these rooms I would strongly recommend you enquire about a fan. There were also cracks on the ceiling and walls and slight damp patches but that didn't really bother us.
Overall it was a lovely stay and we would come back again but pay that little bit extra for the better room!!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jamie S
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I think I have to give at least a one star rating by default, but in reality minus five would be more accurate. My wife and I stayed on the 27th using a KGB deal. I could go on and on about the state of the room, bathroom, stains on the carpet, broken window latches etc, in fact I have the photo's to prove it, but it has already been said and frankly having only just completed an intensive week of trauma therapy, following my stay, my therapist has told me to try and remain calm and not get too excited.

Two questions
1. Britannia management/directors/owners - what are you doing - are you deliberately running down your hotels - I say hotels because when I last checked at least two of your other hotels in Manchester were rated as badly if not worse on Tripadvisor. Having said that your staff were brilliant - you definitely do not deserve them!
2. KGB - do you not vet companies like Britannia to stop them from ripping YOUR customers off?
SHAME ON YOU BRITANNIA AND KGB

Room Tip: avoid this place like the plague as therapy is very expensive
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Manchester hotels

London
Reviewed 7 August 2014

My trip got off to a bad start when I checked in at the Hotel and was asked "do you want to upgrade to a room with a window?" Not the sort of question one expects. My room was £50 a night double with Booking.com. The 'extra' window another £10 a night. In fact this was not actually a window at all but a 4cm opening in the ornamental round windows on the 5th floor. The room was very stuffy and I can't even start to imagine what the rooms without windows must be like.
The general appearance of the hotel is very shabby and is in need of a complete refurb.
Staff were effecient and the room was clean with comfotable beds. The TV was vintage 1980.
Good central location and cheap but don't be fooled by the grandeur!

Room Tip: Room with a proper window
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thirsk
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Gota say this is probably one of worst hotels I have stayed in.

On check in I was allocated a cupboard with no windows or AirCon, the desk did upgrade me to a room with windows and air!.

The furniture looks like it should have been thrown out 20 years ago along with the massive Tubed Tv that gave a snowy picture.

Eating experience, well after tasting breakfast once I decided to take meals out. The Breakfast was totally tasteless, I tried some toast which was cold and had been left under a lamp.

I certainly would not consider a Britannia Hotel again what ever the budget.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Patroni2013
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the 4 poster suite. Some of the decor was slightly tired but overall it was a great stay. Large spacious room and the bed was very comfy. I would stay again. The staff were very helpful and the all you can eat buffet in the morning was fabulous. It had everything you wanted.

Stayed August 2014
Reviewed 6 August 2014

The hotel is in a good location for what I needed had two rooms 418 and 419.

Both of us have been bitten due to bed bugs. When I told the staff there was no apology. My window didn't close due to wood expansion and so was noisy. Walls and curtains were mucky and the place had a general grotty feel. Will be reporting the case of bed bugs to Manchester council. Don't stay its cheap for a reason! !

• Stayed August 2014