“Absolutely brilliant”

Britannia Manchester Hotel
Ranked #94 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I have just come back after four wonderful nights at the Brittania Hotel, Portland Street, Manchester. I am a smoker (I can imagine you all tutting!), and this hotel caters for the few smokers amongst us. I reserved ''best available room, dinner and breakfast'' and as usual stayed on the second floor which faces Portland Street. Anyone who knows Manchester city centre will know that Portland Street is one of the main roads in and out of Manchester, so there is traffic noise but hey if you close the window you hear nothing. However, I digress, I was greeted by a young man at reception, who made no complaint that I had arrived at 13.00 an hour early. My room was a smoking room as requested it was shabby chic to say the least and the television was so old I had to ask a staff member how to work it! That said, I wasn't in Manchester for television I watch plenty at home and the staff are on hand at any time to help out with anything and I mean anything, nothing is too much trouble and I was addressed as 'Sir' at all times. As I said the room I had was tired and a bit shabby, but it was spacious I had two armchairs a king size bed, which I discovered on my last night was two singles joined together, I couldn't have cared less, I slept like a log the four nights I was there. On my first evening I went down to the restaurant, which was full, but I was personally shown to a clean, laid out table, and given the option of soup or salad, of which I did not partake as I wanted to get on to the main meal. This was self service, but you could have what you wanted and nobody said a word, I had two desserts and two of their beautiful rolls ( in house baked I think). Breakfast was the same so it was a good start to the day altogether. I know the staircase carpet is worn a bit, and the décor isn't so good but the service, cleanliness and food more than makes up for that. I had a wonderful time I felt as if I was at home. Well done Brittania Manchester, Portland Street, keep on doing the deals and allowing us to smoke, and thank you for making an older man very happy, and able to explore the city I lived in 40 years ago. FIVE stars

Room Tip: higher up the better and always go for the best available room
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank CardiffNicky

Reviewed 15 August 2014

This hotel is actually the worst I've ever stayed in. The staf are rude, can't hardly speak good English to. My room had a TV from 1992, old with the massive back haha! My duvet had a hole in it, also when you flushes the toilet, it made the loudest noise ever! It probably woke my whole bloody floor up this morning. The telephone didn't even have a button to directly call either, house keeping, reception etc. worst thing is that there was no air con in any of the rooms. Please people pay the little extra and stay at another hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014
4  Thank karltheone1986
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

Be aware of the bed bugs. I had bites from my bed and so did parents staying in another room. Bath was not cleaned properly. Food was quite appalling. Sounds like we were lucky to get a window! Moststaff were grumpy in the restaurant. Good location though for our sights.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Just returned from staying for one night at the Brittania Hotel in Central Manchester. This was a great deal via Dealmonster. Yes, the hotel has seen better days and yes the owners need to spend a lot of money on it but for £49 (inc. breakfast and a bottle of wine) for two people it was great. Can't think how they make much profit. We were given a spacious, scrupulously clean executive room and staff were so helpful it wasn't true. Breakfast was rubbish, everything that could be was out of a tin and the rest, supposed 'fresh' food looked and tasted as though it had been there a month! As a point of interest, we breakfasted at 7.30am! However, I we would stay there again given the same very good deal! We have stayed in some of the best and the worst hotels in the world and feel qualified to make such a judgement.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DavidStern
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I spent one night in this hotel and was pleasantly surprised as I did read many reports that knocked the hotel??? I have travelled extensively and found the hotel to be clean smart tidy and perfectly located, the staff were excellent and was excellent value for money. Without hesitation I would happily return to this hotel and will be returning very shortly as I felt the hotel offered quality far in excess of many other hotels at twice the price I have paid. My thanks to everyone who provided such excellent service during my very short stay. In the greatest of traditions "I'll be back"

Room Tip: Parking at reduced rates offered at reception
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Stayed here for one night during the week and i have to say there were several issues that made this review 1* instead of 3*. The hotel is very dated with old, worn & torn furniture, the chest of drawers were already broken upon my arrival and carpet had weird pink stains. The TV had 3 working channels (2 of them were teleshopping) as well as message 'Welcome to Premier Inn' once switched on, I wonder where they've got their TVs from. Now overall that wouldn't be too bad for the price I was paying but what left me disappointed was the fact that there was hair in the bathroom sink upon my arrival as well as suspicious red stain on the bedsheets. I'm sorry but I cannot tolerate a hotel who fails to provide clean linen. The only thing great about the hotel was the location.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PlainCool
Reviewed 14 August 2014

My boyfriend and I chose this hotel based on it's location, and in that respect it was just perfect for us. The hotel is very impressive with it's chandelier and beautiful open ornate staircase.

Just 3 down points, the lifts were very slow. The bath towels were more like hand towels, too small.

Also, we had a guide dog with us, (this was noted on our booking so should not have come as a surprise to anyone) as my partner is partially sighted, the girl on check in wanted to charge us a £50 deposit and a £10 fee for the dog!

I REFUSED, told her this was illegal, and discriminatory against disabled. She disappeared through the back, to consult with a manager, came back, said absolutely nothing more about it, no apology, no "yes madam, you are correct", and handed us our room key.

2 days later, on day of departure we received a call very early in the morning to tell us that we had not yet paid and could we do so before we left! Totally unnecessary, as we would of course have paid on check out, and it was not our fault that payment was not taken on check in, due to her confusion.

However, the hotel was satisfactory in every other way. Would I stay again? yes, definitely.

The weekend we stayed was when the hotel was hosting the SPARKLE Transgender weekend, which made for interesting people watching.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple