I have just come back after four wonderful nights at the Brittania Hotel, Portland Street, Manchester. I am a smoker (I can imagine you all tutting!), and this hotel caters for the few smokers amongst us. I reserved ''best available room, dinner and breakfast'' and as usual stayed on the second floor which faces Portland Street. Anyone who knows Manchester city centre will know that Portland Street is one of the main roads in and out of Manchester, so there is traffic noise but hey if you close the window you hear nothing. However, I digress, I was greeted by a young man at reception, who made no complaint that I had arrived at 13.00 an hour early. My room was a smoking room as requested it was shabby chic to say the least and the television was so old I had to ask a staff member how to work it! That said, I wasn't in Manchester for television I watch plenty at home and the staff are on hand at any time to help out with anything and I mean anything, nothing is too much trouble and I was addressed as 'Sir' at all times. As I said the room I had was tired and a bit shabby, but it was spacious I had two armchairs a king size bed, which I discovered on my last night was two singles joined together, I couldn't have cared less, I slept like a log the four nights I was there. On my first evening I went down to the restaurant, which was full, but I was personally shown to a clean, laid out table, and given the option of soup or salad, of which I did not partake as I wanted to get on to the main meal. This was self service, but you could have what you wanted and nobody said a word, I had two desserts and two of their beautiful rolls ( in house baked I think). Breakfast was the same so it was a good start to the day altogether. I know the staircase carpet is worn a bit, and the décor isn't so good but the service, cleanliness and food more than makes up for that. I had a wonderful time I felt as if I was at home. Well done Brittania Manchester, Portland Street, keep on doing the deals and allowing us to smoke, and thank you for making an older man very happy, and able to explore the city I lived in 40 years ago. FIVE stars
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Britannia Hotel Manchester offers great value accommodation in a fantastic Manchester city centre location. The hotel is located in one of Manchester's premier architectural buildings and is grade II listed with outstanding details, such as balconied stairway throughout the building. This Manchester Hotel has two lively bars, where you can dance the night away or have a quiet drink. Jenny's restaurant serves a varied selection of Britain's favourite dishes, whilst the Overstuffed Pizzeria offers freshly cooked pizzas and pastas. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ctrip TA, TripOnline SA, LateRooms, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Britannia Manchester Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Britannia Hotel Manchester
- Manchester Britannia Hotel