“totally crap......”

Ranked #92 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
Widnes, England, United Kingdom
“totally crap......”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Never again.. stayed in some hotels but this one never again..... wardrobe door fell off in hand. Tap in bathroom broke. Told reception didn't do anything. Tv in room never worked complained nothing done. Don't recommend this hotel at all. Room noisy on third floor. Booked executive suite but not worth money

Room Tip: Don't do it.. not worth money
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,057)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

Let's be honest, it's a very cheap hotel and it's in a very central location. If you want the hilton go to the hilton!

The exterior and communal parts of the hotel are beautiful, especially the staircases which I did make a point of walking even though I was in heels. The decor is old but with the grandeur of the staircase it works.

The room was an ok size but a bit shabby. It was clean which is all I'd ask for such a cheap stay. There were a couple of dints in the walls but the bed was comfy and the kettle worked. I was in room 315 which had full windows in two of the walls and it wasn't too noisy for the location.

I didn't eat while there but I did go into the bar which was pleasant and reasonably priced.

I'm a big fan if there being a concierge on the door and checking room keys after a night out, makes you feel a bit safer after a night out.

I've stayed in better places but I've stayed in much worse and for the price I'd go back again

• Stayed August 2014
Winsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2014

If I had wanted to stay in a prison cell I would have opted to stay at Strangeways prison also conveniently situated close to Manchester City centre, except that would have been free of charge. We were informed when we booked that the room did not have a window, believing that this would only be a minor hindrance we completed the booking.
Upon entering the room we were met with a tired ,dilapidated, musty and dimly lit room.The only natural light came from a tiny skylight.The room itself was tiny and in dire need of makeover.
It was fortunate there was only two of us because we barely had room for our suitcase.
I couldn't recommend this hotel because it would be criminal!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Andy B

Travellers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Whilst some of the hotel staff were very pleasant, this hotel is very tired and out dated.
The room we had was clean and quite nice to look at but the bed was rock hard and so did not offer a good nights sleep. Also the curtains did not meet so we had to pin them together as best we could to stop morning light coming through!
Our only experience of the food served was when I ordered room service and the food that came was cold and totally inedible. The beef burger was cremated and I asked for med rare and the chicken burger was cooked to extremes and looked like a piece of shoe leather. The whole food experience was quite shocking and the 'chef' obviously was by no means worthy of that title as he was shouting in the background when I called to complain and have the food taken back, that there was nothing wrong with the food!
I have stayed in many hotels throughout the world and had room service a lot and never in my life have I experienced that poor standard..... even in poorer countries.
The positive side of the hotel was its location; great for walking to shopping areas.

Room Tip: Sadly I would not recommend a stay here, so no room tips.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
wigan
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Booked a double room here on the cheapest tariff as a quick stop over with my boyfriend- £39.00 for the two of us. The Room was n.o 145 and on the first floor, a bit of a maze through the floor to find it and you can tell the place is very dated. The first floor smelled strongly of smoke and there is odd furniture everywhere, but it does have a weird charm. The room was tiny and with a 3/4 size bed but did have a window to my surprise. The TV was tiny and an old style big backed thing but the bathroom was clean and the bed was quite comfortable. Basically it suited our needs as we didn't want to spend long in the hotel, and for the price cannot really complain. They need to update the TV's though and fit new carpets throughout as it all felt very tired and old walking through the building. Could look amazing with some TLC. I'd stop here again if I needed a budget room, BUT If you want mod cons go elsewhere!

Room Tip: First floor smelt strongly of smoke
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank carinalouise
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Hi recently stayed here for work for a few nights

In short, It's clean and tidy, nice staff, very good location but my room was awfully dated, the decor was very old fashioned.

Other guests were making quite a lot of noise and the walls and not very thick! Perhaps staying a Friday night its no surprise.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2014

just got back from this hotel would recomend to family and friends needs bit updating but still lovely hotel staff really helpfull room very spaciouse beds nipping clean and comfy we were astonished at the beautifull staircase and amazed at the gorgeouse chandollier hanging just above stair case it is huge plenty places to see lovely shopping centre bars and restraunts breakfast was lovely are looking to book at this hotel again soon

Room Tip: we had room at the front on first floor which was good
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends