Britannia Manchester Hotel
US$178
US$161
Hilton
  • Restaurant
Jurys Inn Manchester(Manchester)(Great Value!)
US$101
US$127
US$95
  • Free Internet
4,341 results
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 March 2011

Myself and my freind booked a night at the Britannia for £90, and on arrival I was impressed with the reception area and huge staircase, however once we got out of the lift and turned onto the corridor the decor turner very shabby. The room its self was very small, and had no overhead lighting - only lamps - which i found quite strange and it was quite hard to see what I was doing when trying to put my make up on! the matress was a joke, visablly sagging in the middle and creaked very loudly, didnt sleep well on it at all. i can only say I am glad we were out most of the night and only used the room as a base, would have been a lot more disapointed if had planned to stay with my partner or for a weekend away. my advice is pick elsewhere if possible, this is not worth the money.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank dooley23
keith_bracken704, General Manager at Britannia Manchester Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor, it’s important I receive invaluable guest feedback like yours so I can review and improve standards or service with in the hotel.

Reviewed 7 March 2011

This is the first time that I have been compelled to write a review, such was our bad experience.

We stayed here for the night for a friend’s birthday and there were 6 couples in total. On checking in our friends were sent to the sixth floor whilst we were put in a room on the ground floor; room 50.

Our room had no natural light (not the biggest of problems) very poor artificial light and no sockets to charge phones etc. The décor reminded me of staying in a Blackpool B&B in 1989, the white paint on the walls had turned a creamy yellow and shabby carpets gave the room a foisty aroma. Even at lunchtime the noise from the pub/bar that was above us was unbearable, thank god we didn’t have to try and sleep there on the evening.

Meanwhile our friends were put onto the 6th floor (the lift only goes to floor 5) and were given a room with a similar but very slightly better make up. The noticeable difference being a window with natural light coming into the room.

We approached the reception desk to ask for an alternative room, mainly because of the smell and were told we could be upgraded for free to a ‘Double Executive’ room. This turned out to be exactly the same room all of our friends had been put into and to add insult to injury there were a number of items that didn’t belong to us in our replacement room – I’m not sure how often the rooms are cleaned.

The communal spaces remind you of how grand the place may have once been but again the décor is in desperate need of updating; we are talking 1970’s carpets and wallpaper here!

The lifts service 5 of the 6 floors but in typical faulty towers fashion they have wrongly labelled the buttons to the lift. For example the ground floor button is very cleverly disguised as a ‘doors open’ button! Despite the faulty towers reference this isn’t very endearing but neatly demonstrates the inherent faults with this hotel – an absolute bodge job.

To top it all off they gave us a great send off by bringing our ordered breakfast (£19) 10 minutes before the time our taxi was booked (by them)

An awful place from beginning to end. Despite it’s central location do yourself a favour and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
keith_bracken704, General Manager at Britannia Manchester Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2011

Dear guest, thank you for taking the time to review the Britannia Manchester Hotel with trip advisor.

The hotel has an ongoing refurbishment programme and the public areas have been refurbished within the last four years,I am sorry that you found these not to your personal taste.

I do appreciate your feedback and please accept my apologies for the lapse in standards you received on this occasion. I will discuss these issues with the Team here and address these where we can.

Reviewed 7 March 2011

Stayed here because of the ideal location, there was a large group of us celebrating my dad's birthday. When we arrived check-in was slow. Then got to our rooms, inside rooms with no windows, the shower head broke on me in the shower, and the bath taps were not even fixed down. Had a gorgeous meal at Bem Brazils in Deansgate. Got back to the hotel, to finish the night off in the bar, had a few drinks and they shut the bar! People were gathered outside the hotel drunk and collapsed on he floor! Went to bed and the people in the room were making so much noise we couldn't sleep, rand the duty manager who came up and shut them up, until he left, then they started again. 4 phone calls down to reception later, the police had to be called to have them ejected from teh hotel. Finally got to sleep at 5am, to then wake at 8am, because the room was so hot from the heating being on that couldn't be tuned off, and no air con working. Got down to breakfast and it was awful!

Gutted a lovely weekend was ruined by such an out dated shabby poor quality hotel.

DO NOT STOP THERE!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2011

Dear guest, thank you for taking the time to review the Britannia Manchester Hotel with trip advisor and your feedback is much appreciated.

The hotel is located in the heart of the City and gets very busy with people enjoying a night out, as with any City centre.The front of the hotel is a major thouroghfare and unfortunately peolpe on a night can over indulge a little too much.

I am sorry you were disturbed by very noisy guests next to your bedroom,but was glad to read that the team eventually managed resolve the issue.

With regard to our economy rooms we do have a small percentage of these window less bedrooms and are sold at low price accordingly you should have been informed at the time of your booking.However we have many other bedrooms available depending on your budget. I note your comments with regard to the faults in your bedroom.

We do offer an excellent breakfast buffet and I was surprised you described it as awful.

Reviewed 6 March 2011

This hotel looked as though it had not been decorated since 1972!! It was old needs a total refurbishment. The rooms were awful and the price was £15 less than The Radisson!! There is no iron available for the rooms its on the 3rd floor in a room!! For £88 a night it was the worst hotel I have been in for a long time!!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
keith_bracken704, General Manager at Britannia Manchester Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2011

Thank you for your comments We always strive to improve our standards and customer care and will use the comments in a constructive manner.I would have to point out that the hotel has been decorated within the last five years and we do have an ongoing refurbishment programme in place.

I only wish we could have dealt with this at the time and have spoken to a duty manager

Reviewed 1 March 2011

This is the worst place I have ever stayed in in this country. The check in was slow and rude. The beds were old, sagging and uncomfortable. The room vibrated from the noise of the traffic and the two nightclubs we could hear from our room that went on most of the night. The people in the rooms next to ours partyed loudly the rest of the night. The room and the corridors smelt stongly of smoke which the hotel tried to disguise with a heavy use of strange smelling air freshners. The fire alarm went off in the middle of the night, all the guests were left outside for half an hour wondering what was going on with no explanation from the management or aplogy nor even a manager to be found.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family