“Bareable for one night at short notice” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ibis Styles Manchester Portland Street

Ibis Styles Manchester Portland Street
Ranked #55 of 115 Hotels in Manchester
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Bareable for one night at short notice”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2011

Having stayed in a Thistle Hotel before in another City and with the understanding that this hotel had recently been refurbished - we expected much better.

The room we stayed in was small, drab and uninviting, the bathroom was awful and in need of modernising, the pillows on the bed where so flat they needn’t have even been there, and the bed was poorly made so that when we went to get into it at night all the under-sheets etc came away and we had to remake it ourselves.

Breakfast in the morning was just as disappointing – it doesn’t take much to serve pots of Tea rather than having to make your own in a mug with a bag and a flask of hot water!? The eggs were unappetising and obviously bought on the cheap - can’t really comment on service as there wasn’t any.

For the price we paid of £95 (we were desperate and needed somewhere at short notice) we certainly would not recommend – we’ve stayed in Manchester before at other hotels paying the same price for B&B and had a MUCH nicer stay – go elsewhere if you want value for money.

Room Tip: Perhaps ask for one of the 'new' rooms? Some must have had the illusive refurb...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
186338Thistle, Manager at Ibis Styles Manchester Portland Street, responded to this review, 23 August 2011
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your comments and I would like to assure you that all guests feedback is treated very seriously and I apologise that you were so disappointed with your stay. I would like to assure you that your points will be discussed at hotel level to ensure guest satisfaction is paramount at the hotel. Once again our sincere apologies.

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2011

i booked with lastminute.com, them claiming it to be a 4* hotel and its only a 3*. After speaking with The Portland they were helpful to get me a refund but wouldnt in any way give me a room upgrade for the troubles which i thought would be the least they would do for a customer wanting to stay at their hotel. you obviously only pay for what you pay for!!! so i havent actually stayed at the hotel!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your comments and the hotel is indeed a 3 star property and I am sure if you would have stayed at the hotel, your experienced would have been memorable and pleasant.

Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2011

Really enjoyed our stay and are going again soon.We have stayed in this hotel previously and not realised how central it is for shopping, pubs, eating out and clubs. The room was fairly small but adequate, air con the best we have had, bed very comfortable, heavy curtains keep room dark in the mornings, which I like.Breakfast was great.Car park is just to the rear of hotel which was very handy.

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you so much for your lovely comments regarding your recent stay at the Portland by Thistle Hotel. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to your return visit.

Hertfordshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2011

I stayed here and the reception and bar are lovely.

The bedroom though left a lot to be desired. I had a business deal through AMEX which proved very cheap. When I arrived in the room, I haven't seen anything like this in 30 years.

Later that evening I returned to my room and could hear the neighbours having a conversation (the walls are thin).

Very quickly this problem was resolved and when the front reception person came to assist me in moving to another room, he assured me he'd checked and there was no-one in the rooms either side of my new room so my sleep wouldn't be disturbed.

Unfortunately this room was even older than the previous one. Why oh Why didn't someone try and upgrade me to one of the other rooms!

Breakfast service was superb with very engaged staff making sure everyone was OK and the food quality was very good.

Every member of staff went that extra mile, it's a long time since I've seen such personable staff. Well done to the Thistle for employing and retaining such high calibre staff!

Once all the rooms are refurbished this will be a great hotel, if I stay here again it will be in a refurbished room and I couldn't stay in one of those old one's ever again.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us regarding your recent stay. I am disappointed to read that you felt your room was dated as we have just refurbed all our bedroom stock. I was delighted to read the positive comments regarding breakfast and the exceptional staff at the Portland.

Sheffield
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

stayed at The Portland (thistle) over a weekend. Check-in staff were really friendly. The reception, bar abd restraunt were very clean and spacious, we didn't use the leisure facilities in the hotel.
Unfortunatly we were not very impressed with the room, the room was very small and bathroom was also really small. The bathroom could have done with updating as it was a bit shabby. The wndow in the room wouldn't open so was good the aor conditioner worked well in the room. Also the view from he room was another room in the hotel, this may be because I asked for a high room when making the booking which we did get (top floor). We did have a good nights sleep as it was very quiet but warning the bed is on wheels which makes ot impossible to sit u and watch TV in bed.....
I don't think I will retunrn to this hotel as I have stayed in nicer more spacious ones in the city centre.

Room Tip: Ask for front facing room
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent visit to the hotel, I am so sorry that you found our bedrooms small. The hotel has recently had a 3.2 million pound refurbishment and the next phase of refurbishment will include all the bathrooms. I do hope that you will reconsider your decision never to stay at the hotel again in the future.

Pullman, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2011

It had the basics: clean, good tea tray (except for the totally skimmed milk) with shortbread, small but adequate bathroom. Typical of Thistle Hotels we have been put up in in the past (conference accommodations arranged by the organizer). Staff was quite friendly but some had limited English. An attempt to get more milk for the tea (to compensate for the skimmed bit) eventually resulted in more milk, after an initial miscommunication. The hotel is just around the corner (maybe 1/2 mile) from the Manchester Piccadilly train station, which turned out to be very convenient. Breakfast buffet (included in our room rate) was wonderful - full English plus cereals and yogurt, fresh fruit and juices in plenty, and mini croissants and pains chocolats. Internet was wireless, when it functioned. The first night we arrived, we went through 3 passwords, with my husband going down to reception each time for help from them. Finally they said it was the provider (a nationwide problem they said). After that internet service was intermittent, and sometimes faster than others (typical of wireless in hotels everywhere). Electronic card keys failed twice in 4 days, a pain to go back down to reception to get them changed over each time.

Room Tip: higher floors away from the main street will be quieter.
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent stay at The Portland by Thistle Hotel. We do provide skimmed milk on all tea trays in the bedrooms but if a guest requests this to be milk other than skimmed we would always endeavour to meet guests requests I do apologise if this proved to be difficult in your case. I have checked the comments regarding the Wireless internet access and our provider had experienced difficulties nationwide during your visit and this caused problems for several guests until the problem could be resolved. I was however pleased to read that you enjoyed breakfast and the location was suited to your requirements.

Ayrshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2011

Recently stayed here for 2 nights, the hotel is excellent location wise so its an ideal base for manchester shopping, nightlife etc, I will definetly be returning if I can find it at a good rate, the hotel website is slightly dearer so i searched around online and found it cheaper phoned up the hotel who price matched my 2 nights stay which was great as i prefer to book through hotel directly incase any error occurs booking through an agent!

Rooms are comfortable size we had a standard double room and it was big enough for us beds comfortable only slight thing i would advise the hotel is to purchase new shower gel and shampoo products as they are not good I have stayed in far more basic hotels and the complimentary toilitries are far superior, I had to use nearly the whole bottle of shampoo to get a lather to wash my hair will definelty be bringing my own next time i stay!

All in all if you are looking for a place in manchester then i would book this hotel you wont be disappointed! I will be booking next time im staying in manchester

Room Tip: search online to get the best rate then phone hotel up and they will match it
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at The Portland, I would like to assure you that our brand standard toiltries have changed since your last visit and I do hope that you find these more suitable on your next visit.