“Good City hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #57 of 115 Hotels in Manchester
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Good City hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

This is a good example of a city hotel with everything at your fingertips. Great location easily accessible by tram,bus or train.Within walking distance of shops and sights.
We had very friendly service from all staff from welcome to leaving.
The rooms are compact and clean plus have everything you need,seemingly recently refurbished (although the bathroom could have done with a little more attention to detail).
The plunge pool and gym were good ,great after an afternoon in town and before a night out.
The breakfast was excellent with a very good range on offer.All in all a good stay!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PCuk67
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Ibis Styles Manchester Portland Street, responded to this review, 16 August 2012
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I was pleased to read that you found us to be centrally located with everything at your fingertips and all in all to be a great stay. I have taken on board your comment regarding the bathroom but do hope you will return to us here at the Portland on your next visit to Manchester.

Ian Corner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Wigan, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

Stayed here last weekend, wasn't particularly pleased to be honest. The room was small and felt cramped, the bathroom was, again really small. There was some black mould around the bath and the toilet handle was loose and rusty around the attachments.
I had pre-emailed reception to request a quiet room - we were given one on the 7th floor and it WAS quiet - until first thing in the morning when the group of men in the room next door decided to get up and start singing/talking really loudly!

Didn't eat in the restaurant so can't comment on that. The receptionists on check-in and check-out were both lovely.

Room Tip: If you want to ensure a lie in, request a room away from the lifts and whereever possible, nowhere n...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am truly sorry to read that you were not particularly pleased. I have issued a copy of your review to our housekeeping and maintenance teams so they can review the comments you made and see if we can resolve these issues as no lack of standards are acceptable here at the Portland. However I do hope in the future you may decide to revisit with us as it would be good to able to apologise to you in person for the concerns you have raised in your review.

Ian Corner

Travellers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Near Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2012

I stayed at the Portland on the weekend of 4th August. On entering, the lobby & reception area are bright and fresh with plenty of seating areas.
Check-in was quick and efficient and we were checked in to our room at 1pm, earlier than the published checkin time without an additional charge. We stayed in room 705, one of the suites on the top floor. The room has obviously been recently refurbished and has a fabulous four-poster bed, seating area and lovely large bathroom with a jacuzzi bath. It was spotlessly clean.
We headed out to Manchester for shopping and drinks (well- it was my birthday!) and had a great afternoon. The shops and bars are only seconds from the front door of the hotel.
When we got back to the hotel, we were presented with a bottle of champagne (sent by friends!) along with a fabulous selection of canapes and treats.
We went out into Manchester for dinner & drinks, and got back in the early hours of the morning, to be greeted by a lovely night porter (sorry - cant remember his name)
Breakfast the next morning was plentiful and freshly prepared along with fruit juices/tea/coffee all available. Service was friendly, quick and efficient, particular mention to Sue, who was lovely.
Checkout was quick and easy, especially given that the hotel was very busy, and we gathered together with our group of friends in the lobby area for a while, before heading off home.

All in all- a great luxury break in one of my favourite cities!!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite for a bit of luxury & spoil yourselves!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Andrew M
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your lovely review. I was very pleased to read that you had a great birthday and that you had an enjoyable stay with us I have forwarded your lovely comments regarding our breakfast supervisor (Sue) and our lovely night porter to all of the team as I know they will be greatly appreciated. I do hope you will come back and stay with us again as it would be a pleasure to welcome you back to the Portland.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2012 via mobile

I stayed for 3 nights. When I checked in, I immediately found most of the grout in the bathroom to be covered in mould. Reception promptly moved me without fuss. The replacement room was marginally better. The room overall felt really bare, nothing on the walls, no decor to speak of, just a telly plonked on the wall (which had terrible reception).

Tried the gym out, which in itself is a term I use loosely. Its a very small room with 5/6 bits of equipment, which seemingly we're tucked into the room like a tetris game. Can't fault the sauna though. Again the showers in the changing rooms were mould ridden.

Overall the hotel feels like it tries to meet the bare minimum in standards. Its not a hotel where you can relax in, it's just a place to sleep.

I'll be working in Manchester for 4 nights a week for the next few months, and won't be returning to the thistle.

Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Mattelliott39
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I was extremely disappointed that you felt we only try to meet the bare standard and that it is not a hotel you can relax in. I have forwarded a copy of your review to our Management team for their thoughts as it saddened me greatly to read that you would not consider returning to. I am hoping that in the future you may reconsider your decision as it would be a pleasure to welcome you back to the Portland and to have the opportunity to apologise to you for the experience you had and to have the opportunity to show that our main priority is our guests and I would hope not one of our team would settle for only offering the bare standard.

Twickenham, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2012

I stayed here for one night, I needed somewhere central and the location is great within easy walking distance of Piccadily station. Check-in was quick and I found all staff to be polite and helpful throughout my stay.

The rooms whilst small were clean and had everything you would expect including tea/coffee, iron, hair-dryer and some toiletries. WiFi is an additional £10.00 for 24 hrs, breakfast is also an additional £10.00 which brought the total bill to £75.00 - not to bad for Manchester particularly compared to other hotels in the area.

I have no complaints and would happily stay here again, perfect for both business and pleasure.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank P0rkpieUK
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review it is greatly appreciated. I was happy to read your review and was thrilled to read that you had no complaints and would happily stay with us again. I will look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Manchester as it would be good to have the opportunity to welcome you personally back to the Portland.

Aylesbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

The hotel is perfectly placed in the centre of Manchester, within a short walk of the shops, bars and train station. We paid £60 per night.
Our room was fairly small, but clean and modern and as expected for a Thistle.
The best part of the hotel is the fitness/health suite downstairs. A small gym, plunge pool and sauna are provided for guests. We spent a good couple of hours down there and thoroughly enjoyed that element of our stay.
The hotel bar is pricey as you would expect, but is really well appointed with a nice atmosphere.
Overall, very pleased with our experience and would recommend.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jazmundo
Dear Reviewer

Thank you posting your review it is most appreciated. I was delighted to read that you had been very pleased with your experience and would recommend us. I do hope you will return to us the next time you are visiting Manchester as it is always a pleasure to welcome back returning guests.

surrey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

Stayed here a couple of times on business trips. Chosen because of central location, not too expensive and proximity to Manchester Piccadilly station. Efficient, quick check in and very friendly, helpful staff. Disappointed by the tiny, rather dark bedroom "double room for single occupancy" - would have been a squash to get two people in! Business side: Pleasant bright, meeting room and refreshments handled efficiently. Breakfast and dinner OK but nothing outstanding.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank a m
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to post your review regarding your recent stay with us. I read your review and was pleased to read that overall you had found the business side of your stay successful. Although I was disappointed to read your comments regarding the bedroom and that we were unaware of your disappointment whilst you were with us. I am so sorry that you found our bedrooms to be small however we do have a limited amount of suite bedrooms available which tend to be more spacious. I do hope you will in the future consider revisiting with us as it would be a pleasure to welcome you back in person and have the opportunity to discuss your concerns in person.