“Best value for money in Manchester by far” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ibis Styles Manchester Portland Street

Ibis Styles Manchester Portland Street
Ranked #56 of 115 Hotels in Manchester
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Best value for money in Manchester by far”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

The Thistle is now up on my list of favorites & I plan to return there in a couple of weeks. Excellent value for money; I'd searched high and low for a hotel at a reasonable price for 9/11/13 & ended up with the bargain of £144 for a triple room with breakfast. The staff, plenty of them & ALL really helpful & friendly. The room; exceptionally clean, comfy beds (with ear plugs!), TV, kettle & lots of supplies, A DECENT HAIRDRYER, iron & ironing board, spacious, lovely freebies in the bathroom. Room service; prompt & delicious food & drinks. Bar; lovely atmosphere. The hotel as a whole had a very modern feel through the entrance & bar area. The pool was a nice temperature & the spa was lovely! Other points; shame they didn't have a kids menu, kids didn't think the pool was big enough (but this wasn't an issue). Laos had a small CV gym but I didn't use this on this visit. Loved it.

Room Tip: Although we didn't stay in a designated family room that night, I hear the family rooms are bril...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Bubble1410
GeneralManager54, Manager at Ibis Styles Manchester Portland Street, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of us. I was thrilled to read that the Thistle is now on your favourite list and that you are planning to revisit with us soon. I have issued a copy of your review to all our team as I know they too will appreciate your lovely words. I have also asked the Food and Beverage Manager to investigate your comments regarding the kid menus as we do have one and it should be available at all times. I do hope I will have the pleasure of welcoming you back personally to the hotel on your next stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Northampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

We liked this hotel, it is close to the station and to the shops. Although it said it may be noisy and provided ear plugs they were not needed. The breakfast was not included in our package but we purchased breakast vouchers and the cost was reasonable and lower at the weekend. The breakfast was good value and there was a good choice. All the staff were helpful and friendly.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback it is most welcome. I was delighted to read that you found our team to helpful and friendly and that breakfast was of good value with a lot of choice available. Furthermore I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Portland in the near future.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

Stayed for a 3 day business conference. Staff were not very helpful and the restaurant provided poor food at high prices. Bathrooms dated and bedroom noisy. Wouldn't stay again.
******^^^^^^^^**********^**^^^^^^^^

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Joeb0wen
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback it is greatly appreciated. Firstly allow me to apologise for the issues you experienced and please do make contact directly with the hotel should you wish to discuss your concerns any further as without feedback from our valued guests we would never learn or develop as a hotel or a team.

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

I loved this place. Its so close from the bus station and rail staion. The Manchester Arndle shopping centre is 5 min walk. Check for the offers as its worth having breakfast if its included in the package

Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank SaurabhSal
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments they are most appreciated. I was delighted to read that you had loved this place as we do aim to do all we can to make it feel like a home away home from all our guests. I do hope you will come and see us on your next visit to Manchester as it would be a pleasure to welcome you back to the Portland.

London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

I can put up with a small room (which it certainly was!), inconsistent heating and no comfy chair, but the room service supper was totally awful. Flavourless onion soup (amazingly difficult to pull off when you think about it!) and a sandwich which seemed to have been sitting there since lunch, given how dry and curled up the bread was. I did get a replacement sandwich and an apology from the waiter (it should have been the manager surely?) but it simply wasn't acceptable to have given the meal to me in the first place. So would I stay again - no, because for the same price I could try somewhere else (there are plenty of mid range hotels) and I will.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences of us it is most appreciated. I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for the issues you encountered and have asked our Food and Beverage Manager to investigate as no lack of quality or standards is acceptable. However I am aware this does not overcome your sense of disappointment and should you wish to discuss your points in greater detail please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

Can't beat the central location, the room was small but quiet, and the staff were very helpful -- they let us store rental bikes in the luggage room overnight. Also breakfast was a good deal -- two vouchers for 15 quid. Only downsides are a deficiency of elevator capacity and the potential for long backups at reception.

Room Tip: Try for a low room so you can avoid the elevators.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I was pleased to note that you found us to be in a central location and an ideal base for exploring the area. I was delighted by your comments regarding our team and I have posted a copy of your review onto our staff board for everyone to share your lovely words. I do hope that on your next visit to Manchester you will choose to come and stay with us again here at the Portland.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for work on a busy weeknight. Got off to a bad start as I had a twin room instead of a double which they couldn't change as it was busy. I moved the beds together in the end so it wasn't a huge deal.
The room was basic but clean and had what I needed. Bathroom was also very small, but decent shower.
The heating was via the AC system which meant keeping the hot air blower on all night which didn't make the most comfortable sleep.
I ordered room service but there was a £5 charge so I went and collected it instead! The prawn linguine was really tasty, and the staff member who served me, Paula was very friendly.
I used the gym- a very small room with 6 pieces of equipment in, not the best.

I actually left some items in the room by accident, and came by later the next afternoon to collect and they very helpfully had put them aside for me.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for posting your review it is most appreciated. I read your comments with interest and have shared it amongst our management team for their thoughts and any necessary internal actions to be implemented. I was pleased to read your comments regarding Paula and be assured I will pass them onto her as I know she will greatly appreciate them. I do hope in the near future we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Portland.