“Our Wonderful Wedding”
Review of Etrop Grange

Etrop Grange
Ranked #68 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 29 November 2011

We held our wedding at Etrop on 18th November 2011. The day was just perfect in every way. Helen was great at helping us plan our day but I have to say that on the day Luciano was just fantastic. He made me feel like a princess all day long and we both feel that him and his staff did everything possible to make our day special from start to finish. Nothing was to much for them. Food was delicious and the wine kept coming, every single guest has commented on what a beautiful day it was. I would love to do it all again because we didnt want the day to end. Even breakfast the next morning was perfect with all our relatives there to join us. I would certainly reccommend Etrop to any couple wanting a really special wedding.
David and Sheila Gilchrist

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Sheila G
There are newer reviews for Etrop Grange

Reviewed 23 November 2011

We stayed for a 50th birthday party, room was ok, reception staff were slow and unhelpful. The drinks price is a disgrace , even by hotel standards.

The main point was that their is residents bar, that is if they don't decide that they cannot be bothered, or that I will not be allowed on a flight if they serve me. Nice touch if I was flying but I and the group were not. None of us were drunk and all over the age of 30, I think we can be trusted, disgrace avoid like the plague

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank woodgnome76
Reviewed 22 November 2011

I recently went to this hotel for a conference.

Looking on their website it seemed to be the usual high-quality conference hotel but looks can be deceiving!

I think this may have been a good hotel some time ago but it has not been maintained for many years.

The whole hotel was cold and there was far too much going on in every room, meaning there was barely any room to sit down. The reception was packed with bags and leftover cups and plates.

The staff were very surly, the reception toilets were filthy (depsite having been cleaned recently acorrding to the job sheet!) and the food was average at best.

My room was just about acceptable but the bathroom looked like it hadn't seen a lick of paint since the 60s.

As part of the conference there, we had dinner there which was extremely poor. The soup starter was so bad with so much salt that a lot of people sent it back - so many in fact that the waiter took them all back and replaced with a different starter. The rest of the meal was nearly as poor - dry chicken and an unidentified dessert leftover from the afternoon.

Breakfast was just about ok, as long as you don't mind being told how much you're allowed to take, this as part of a buffet!

I guess it's close to the airport but there are better airport locations to be had.

We didn't even have to pay for any of this and I still think it's poort value.
Best avoided!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank HornetBrad
Reviewed 17 November 2011

I have just returned from a conference and stay at the Etrop Grange Hotel.
This is a charming old hotel which is situated very close to Manchester airport and railway station.
The hotel offers a free shuttle service from the airport and railway station.
My room was tastefully decorated with a very comfortable double bed.
The room facilities were excellent from a large television to an iron and ironing board.
As I was travelling alone I chose room service.
The menu was varied and the quality of the food was of a very high standard.
The staff could not do enough for me.
It is lovely to stay in an non chain style hotel.
I would certainly recommend this hotel and look forward to staying again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 November 2011

Although we did not stay at the hotel we did have a meal in the restaurant and it was a very poor standard.
My husbands starter was inedible and my main course totally lacked flavour and was dry, my husbands was, frankly, nothing resembling it's description. We also found that the food was totally overpriced.
We certainly will not be eating there again, which is a pity as it is a lovely historic building.

Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ruianCheshire
Reviewed 8 November 2011

I've stayed here 3 times now in the hope that my first experience was a one off. It wasn't. They are consistent at least. Rooms are not clean when you look behind furniture or on top of the four posters (which haven't been cleaned since being installed in 1885). As an asthmatic that was a problem. Food in the room is memorable but not edible and consistently tasteless. Steer clear of the Caesar salad as they only have lettuce and the dressing as ingredients and the burger had the texture of a rubber suspension component but was less tasty; the bun was made from granite. In fact just avoid their food altogether until they get a chef.
Two of the beds were not comfortable and must have come from Lilliput. I'm 6 foot and had to sleep diagonally so if my wife was with me it would be impossible to get any rest; not that she gives me any rest anyway. The other bed needed a step ladder to get into. All the baths are very short so you won't enjoy a good soak. By the time you've slide into the warm relaxing water your legs are halfway up the wall. I did eat in the restaurant one evening and it looked very presentable but again remarkable in its complete lack of flavour. The breakfast is OK but the coffee varies hugely; the last pot was very very weak.
Finally the room air conditioning unit is enough to drive you to almost ripping it off the wall. In one room i had to take the fuse out to shut the thing up as the controls had no effect. The thing comes on in the morning on too high a heat.
Good points are the parking and service to and from the airport which is free. I really wanted this to be my regular hotel as I fly from Manchester several times a month but I will have to look elsewhere now. I should finish on a positive as I feel I've been a bit harsh, even if truthful, so I have to say its marginally better than sleeping in your car.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 October 2011

Even before arrival I had problems with hotel. I booked this through booking.com and on the paperwork it stated payment was due the same day the reservation is made. When the money did not go out of my bank I called the hotel to double check the booking and when payment was due. I was told that payment is made on departure of our stay. A week before we were due to stay at Etrop my bank account was a minus figure, low and behold Etrop had requested payment from the bank. Due to not expecting to pay this until departure the money was not in my account! When I arrived at the hotel I asked the receptionist what had happened regarding the payment and she didn't seem very interested. At this point I wasn't even sure if I would receive bank charges. After check-in I thought I will go back to the receptionist and ask again why payment was taken from my account only to find another person there. I had to explain everything again and unfortunately again didn't seem to be bothered, so I had to push to speak to a manager. Only the duty manager was available and to be fair to him he was very very helpful. He looked into my issue thoroughly and was very apologetic. Although he was unable to do anything about the fact that the money had been taken he did offer us some drinks on behalf of the hotel. The room was abit dated and basic and it's lucky that I'm not an old lady as the bed was very high off the floor. Me and my partner were flying out to get married but our guests got better rooms than we did (four poster beds) so was abit disappointed. Abit later into the evening after having a rather average meal that took ages to get to us, we retired to our room. Before this we stopped at reception to ask for some bottled water to be delivered to our room. After 15 minutes of waiting I called reception to ask where our water was. After another 15 minutes I physically had to go back to reception but luckily bumped into the duty manager again. It took him approx 2 minutes to be at our room with 2 bottles of water in ice buckets. I'm confused as to why only one member of staff seemed to be able to do there job at this hotel. On the plus side my car was very well looked after and was delivered straight to the airport when we landed. Not a great start to our wedding holiday and certainly will not be staying at this hotel again or recommending it.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family