“Friendly airport hotel.”
Review of Etrop Grange

Etrop Grange
Ranked #66 of 121 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Very friendly and helpful staff. Our room was clean and comfortable but a little cold. There was an extra heater which took a couple of hours to warm the room up. The restaurant provided good food and service, but was a little pricey. The transfer service to the airport was very efficient. Now the bad points! Rack rate is way overpriced, our deal through a bucket site however provided good value, but if there was one downside it was the intrusive background music! Get it changed please. Overall a good place to stay and we would use it again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
ManagerEtrop, General Manager at Etrop Grange, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Dear Racingjohn789

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay here at the Etrop Grange Hotel. I was pleased to read you enjoyed your time with us overall. If you could kindly contact me directly to provide a little more information, I will ask my Maintenance Engineer to examine the heating in the room you occupied – our Climate Control air-conditioning is throughout the Hotel as well as wall heaters being in most of the rooms.

Whilst some online websites can offer cheaper rates, invariably these are on a Room Only basis – I am confident our pricing is competitive against them, and we offer packages and promotions through our own website or over the telephone that provide better value overall which are not found elsewhere.

We do try to strike a balance with our music choice to create a welcoming yet professional atmosphere, and we always welcome feedback on how this is received by our guests. I do hope to hear from you soon and look forward to welcoming you back.

jodi@etrophotel.co.uk

Write a ReviewReviews (1,466)

Reviewed 18 January 2014

Stayed this week, have used the hotel before, went down to the restaurant at 7:30pm and was told "quote" I had no chance of getting a meal tonight because a large party had just sat down to eat "unquote". I was advised at check-in that last food orders tonight would be 9pm. I asked to see the duty Manager and was advised that he was on reception, I went over to him and explained what had just happened and to my astonishment he said exactly the same......I reminded him that I was a hotel resident and just wanted to have an evening meal in the hotel restaurant............he repeated that I had no chance this evening !!! I then said what about a compromise, can I order something via room service, he said " Not this evening Sir". Never once was there an apology or any offer to try and do something. Absolutely shocking, unbelievable and something I have never experienced in many years at staying in hotels.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank Wickers2014
ManagerEtrop, General Manager at Etrop Grange, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Dear Wickers2014

I am very shocked, and bitterly disappointed in my team, after reading your review of your time here at Etrop Grange. I would really appreciate if you could take the time to contact me personally so I may understand when you stayed with us so I may investigate.

In the first instance, please accept my sincere apologies and I do hope you will be in touch soon.

0161 499 0500

Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

Location handy for airport with efficient transfers by very helpful staff member. Room spacious and comfortable but noisy from hotel generators/air con outside window. It would be worth checking about this. Accessible bedroom had a shower over the bath, not very accessible. Bar area comfortable but upholstery could do with refurb.
However, very welcoming and comfortable over all.

• Stayed: January 2014

Dear cork-journeys

I appreciate you taking the time to review your recent stay at Etrop Grange Hotel, and thank you for your kind words with some constructive criticism. As you may have learned during your stay, or from some of the other reviews here on Trip Advisor, an impending soft-refurbishment of the Hotel is due to take place. I am sure this will remedy some of the slight issues you mention, and only improve the fantastic product we already offer.

The team and I would be delighted to welcome you back should you ever find yourself having the chance to return.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

My wife booked for our 10th wedding anniversary as we wanted to go somewhere Special and not just another restaurant meal. Etrop Grange was also where we held our Wedding Reception and sons christening party, so there was a sentimental value to us going back.

On booking the hotel knew this was a special occasion, however this seemed to have slipped their minds in telling us there was also going to be Xmas events on. Whilst I appreciate the hotel is busy over Xmas, pre-warning us that this would impact on where we would eat, could have made us rethink. In the past we have been back for meals at this time of year and Helen used to be very accommodating.

On arrival we were shown from reception downstairs to what I can only call a makeshift breakfast type room. Whilst we had dressed for the occasion in black suit and black dress, there were other residents eating in this room with tracksuit type attire watching the final of strictly come dancing. Immediately I knew we had not been accommodated for and just pure ignorance of staff in taking the booking and not telling my wife we would not eat in the restaurant upstairs. Appreciate residents will need to eat in any hotel but what did the hotel think we would be turning up for (Fish & Chips). I was not prepared to stay for a meal in what I would describe as a makeshift room ready for breakfast time. For what reason would a hotel also think this was a romantic setting to celebrate an anniversary with prime-time BBC1 playing on a large 40" plasma??? This spoilt what was meant to be a special night of celebration and to make things worse it was a Saturday before Xmas day, so to leave and book another special place was almost impossible.

I am leaving this feedback to state how ruined our night was on the 21st December and to have to go home, change and get a takeaway leaves a real bitter taste - A real great way to spend what was meant to be a memorable night!!

If this is how the hotel wish to manage guests then I can say we wont be booking or recommending this place to friends or family any-more..... Shocking experience and would not have even give this 1 star in my opinion.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Nick H
ManagerEtrop, General Manager at Etrop Grange, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

Dear Nick H

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to Etrop Grange Hotel.

As you will see, I have responded more fully via private message here on Tripadvisor. I am truly sorry for our failings, and please be assured I am investigating and making amendments to our procedures where they have let us down.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

Miss sold room but ebookers, The hotel knew nothing of the deal I had supposedly purchased.

This was all ebookers fault.

The Manager at the hotel was very sympathetic and apologized for ebookers misrepresenting them and even halved my even meal bill as a good will gesture.

Would recommend Etrop hotel again on serve alone.

Room Tip: Hotel is an oldie world one. Don't good there looking for the latest modern setting
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
ManagerEtrop, General Manager at Etrop Grange, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Dear wreck42321

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of the Etrop Grange Hotel. Although I do remember your stay not getting off to the best of starts because of the issue experienced with the online travel agent, I am so pleased to hear that we did our very best to help you in this situation. The team and I all hope we can look forward to welcoming you to the Etrop Grange again in the future.

All the best for this New Year!

Kind regards

Reviewed 1 January 2014

We stayed at this hotel recently for a Christmas party, and can only say how disappointed we were with the whole experience, the room and the food for the party event. We have written to the hotel, and they have made no effort to respond so feel a review should be put on here. Our room was very small, and cold mainly due to the large gap in the putty on the window frame surrounded by mould, we had dust and hairs in the room and bare wires showing on the heated towel rail in the bathroom. The food for the party event was not worth the £32.00 per head and the staff were very un-attentive and not once during the evening asked if everything was ok and at the end of the evening were very rude in making us all leave the venue, when it was not even the time stated that the event should end. We did complain in the morning and we were offered a 10% discount off the room rate but nothing towards the party. As I said they have not even had the decency to reply to our email sent over three weeks ago. If you need a hotel or party venue near Manchester airport, I would advise booking elsewhere.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carole K

Dear Carole445

Please accept my sincere apologies, both for the poor experience during your time here at the Etrop Grange, and for not having responded to your email. I have to confess I am unaware of your correspondence, and I would be grateful if you would kindly re-send this directly to myself so that I may investigate further. My email address is noted below, or please telephone me on 0161 499 0500.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor, I hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a New Years Party night with another couple who had preciously stayed here and had the most amazing night from start to finish.

The hotel exterior is very nice and homely as you drive in, the reception staff were very friendly and we felt at home as soon as we walked in.

We went to our room which was very warm and cosy. It is an old building and it has some character but this is in no way a negative point, we are used to staying in larger hotel brands that are a lot newer but we actually really liked the older style here, it was a refreshing change.

The party night consisted of a glass of sparkly on the way in, then a five course meal which looked very impressive on the menu and we didn't know what it all was but as it was served course by course we were extremely pleased with the quality and the taste of the food, especially the beef which has to be one of the nicest pieces I have ever had the pleasure to eat. After the meal there was a disco till 1 am and the DJ, Darren, was outstanding. He played a good mix of music and had the dance floor bouncing most of the night. He saw in the New Year with a great medley which really made the night.

The beds were comfy and we had a good night's sleep. The next morning we went for breakfast which was also of a high standard and then checked out of the hotel feeling like we had had a perfect night in a wonderful hotel with two lovely friends.

We will be looking at their other sister hotels with a view to staying there again soon.

Thank you to all the staff that made it such a wonderful evening.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Tony_and_Kay

It was such a delight to read your review from your New Years Eve stay. I know all the team were equally as pleased to see such recognition of the hard work they all put into each and every day to create a special occasion for all our guests. The only question they are asking is “When can we expect you to be back?!”

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

All the best for this New Year!

Kind regards