“Adequate but tired”
Review of Etrop Grange

Etrop Grange
Ranked #69 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Wevw stayed at Etrop twice now, very handy for the airport and much nicer and more personal service than bigger chains. We choose a stay and park option through holiday extras, and usually stay the night we fly back to the uk from Cyprus because flights are very late. So we park up at the start of the holiday and get the shuttle or taxi to the airport. No problems, but the rooms are tired, not dirty but shabby bathrooms, small and cramped. We stayed once on our return from honeymoon. We arrived in plenty of time for dinner but because we couldn't lock the door we had to wait for assistance and on arriving at the dining room just after last orders, we're told chef had left. As they knew we had a table booked and reception were aware of the door problem, we were annoyed but too tired to argue. fair dos they didn't charge us for the burger we had, or the bottle of wine, which we would have paid for anyway, so that was a nice gesture. Again, a more personal touch not normally offered by bigger groups. Overall, nice but a little tired in decor and overall warmth (heating wise) but perhaps in may and September when weve stayed, to be expected. Will be staying again this coming may so speaks for itself really. Just needs freshening up.

Room Tip: he four posters are small
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
ManagerEtrop, General Manager at Etrop Grange, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Dear ShropshireBadger

Thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback about your most recent stay here at Etrop Grange. Please accept my apologies for the issues encountered during your stay in September 2013. I would like to confirm that a soft-refurbishment is soon to be underway, which I am sure will resolve any features you noted as tired.

If you could like to contact me directly, I would be grateful to learn more about your stay so I may investigate the room defects mentioned along with the hiccup regarding Restaurant service; though I was pleased to learn we had offered your meal complimentary as a gesture of goodwill given the problems encountered.

Reviewed 7 February 2014

A one night stay, staff on reception were good, bags taken to room. Good nights sleep had even though close to airport. Car to take us to the airport with no fuss. Very reasonable rates for your car to be parked up while your away with it being brought to the airport to meet u. Would use again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Steve T

Dear Steve T

Thank you for such a nice review, I was so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay.

I know the team and I are all looking forward to the challenge of earning that 5th Star Rating, so perhaps on your next visit we will have the opportunity.

Reviewed 5 February 2014

on arrival we were welcomed very professional and friendly and nothing was too much trouble as we had asked for some photo copies to be done for us for my sons trip
room lovely and clean and bed comfortable
had a meal in the restaurant excellent food and service
overall excellent experience

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank suenles

Dear suenles

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a wonderful review of your recent stay.

I was so pleased to hear that you had a great time with us, and that the team have once again provided the exceptional service and product that creates a memorable stay. We all look forward to seeing you should you have the opportunity to return to Etrop Grange Hotel.

Reviewed 31 January 2014

We have stayed twice in the past 10 months before and after our holiday flights. The staff were brilliant especially Ian and Andrew on Reception also Nicole and Daniel who looked after us in the Restaurant. Nicole made sure we had a room suitable for my hip problem which was much appreciated. The rooms were clean, comfortable and warm. Food was very acceptable, freshly cooked and not mass produced so much better than the huge hotels. Transfers to and from the airport were quick and hassle free. Shall confidently book before our next overseas holiday.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
ManagerEtrop, General Manager at Etrop Grange, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Dear Beatrix06

It was such a delight to read your review of the experience during your recent stay here at the Etrop Grange Hotel. Thank you for highlighting some of the team who helped make you feel at home – I will ensure they are aware of your comments, and my own gratitude!

I know they and the rest of our wonderful team are already looking forward to seeing you in the near future. Until then, all the very best.

Reviewed 31 January 2014

We were visiting family and had come from Lancs after a wonderful wedding with our friends...
The sequence of events is like an episode of Fawlty Towers...
The room we were first given was "like a dungeon"....there was water pouring in(it was raining) and the heating did not work...the bed was like something from Orphan Annie....horrific...we had had to carry all our bags down three flights of old,rickety stairs to get to this room.
The second room was around the corner and looked better....unfortunately it was so cold in there no heating worked and worst still no hot water...we felt bad calling the front desk and sat in the lounge for some time to warm up...we stayed one night in this room,but the next morning was asked to me moved or we would have to have moved out...I would add that I have never seen so much rain lashing down and did not relish moving again...
We had a call from the front desk to say they were moving us into the Bridal Suite....this was ln the top floor up another two flights of rickety old stairs...there was a nice four poster bed in the room....BUT the flush in the toilet did not work...the taps did not work to the bath and the worst of all the rain was coming in through the windows along with a cold wind...making the windows rattle all night...
They obviously sell themselves for weddings/functions as cars were coming back and forth all day/night and I very little sleep was had.
We spoke with the manager the next day and explained all of these problems...we did get a discount on our stay,but I could not wait to get out of there and will never recommend it to anyone to stay at.
We got into the car and had I not laughed I would have cried.......hence my Fawlty Towers title.

Room Tip: Do not have one on the lower floors.....they are like dungeons....
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank ladyashcroft

Dear ladyashcroft

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay, if I have correctly located your profile, I can see that your stay was in April 2012. I am unable to comment on the exact situations that may have occurred 2 years ago and I understand from your comments that you did discuss this with the manager at the time on departure.

I am sorry you feel it necessary to give the hotel the title you have and to post your comments after so long, however with the soft refurbishment of the hotel imminent, I do hope you will be able to return to the hotel, it would be great to have the opportunity to welcome you back and provide a positive experience. Please do contact me directly and I will personally look after your booking.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

Booked my work mates into this hotel has it was local to our office, informed rooms were fine and what a lovely change to to stay at an hotel which was not part of a chain ..... Breakfast was a joke with staff not even asking for your order even had to request some tea & coffee, with one member of staff stating she was not taking orders then came back and ask what we would like ?? Waiting times after order was taken were long to a point we we're going to leave and use the staff canteen.Prior to breakfast they would have stayed again. Maybe it was a just a bad day.!!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank BMorriss

Dear BMorriss

Please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointing service received from our Food & Beverage team during your colleagues stay here at the Etrop Grange Hotel. This is not acceptable, I have already discussed your experience with my team to ensure we are better prepared and provide the expected levels of service. Whilst there may have been some delays in service had a group of guests arrived at the same time, this does not excuse the manner of how the situation was handled.

I do hope you and your colleagues will reconsider your inclination to not return, and I am sure that given a second opportunity, the team and I will redeem ourselves and provide the high level of service we are capable of. Please feel free to contact me directly, and I will be happy to personally look after your booking.

Reviewed 29 January 2014 via mobile

I decided to use the Etrop Grange as a base for a night out in Manchester.
The hotel is less than a mile from the airport and about 15 mins by train to the a City Centre.
The hotel itself is reasonably well kept but the thing that stood out about it was the quality of the staff; in particular the two gentlemen behind reception.
Nothing was too much trouble, even to the point of being offered a lift to the nearest supermarket when I asked for directions!
Great staff and wish I'd got their names to commend them to management.
On the downside to the hotel is the breakfast. Be warned, it's very expensive and really not worth it.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Youngydriver

It is always a pleasure to read such a fantastic review. Thank you for taking the time to do so, and to commend the staff that evidently made the difference during your stay. I am sure all of the team would be pleased to offer such great service.

Although with our AA Rosette for the produce and service on offer we do feel our food is appropriately priced, guest feedback is constantly reviewed and your comment regarding the cost of breakfast has been noted for future consideration.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Etrop Grange Hotel in the future.