“Nice hotel but don't ask for the cot bed”
Review of Etrop Grange

Etrop Grange
Ranked #68 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We stayed at the Etrop grange for a wedding. There were three of us in the room which wasn't ideal in the first place.

The room itself was nice. They were huge but it comfortably fit in all beds, a TV and an en suite bathroom. The staff were nice, even going so far as to keep the bar open for us when we got in VERY late (they charged the drinks to the room as the bar was shut) and keeping the breakfast open after said late night mean't we got down to the restaurant 5 minutes after they were supposed to stop serving. The room was clean and the facilities were appreciated (Iron and coffee/tea making is provided in the room).

The only complaint I have was about the cot bed that was provided for the third guest in our room. Don't get me wrong, I never expected it to be completely comfortable, but I'm pretty sure the guest would have got a better night sleep on the floor.

Great hotel but keep to only two to a room; your extra guest will not sleep!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
ManagerEtrop, General Manager at Etrop Grange, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2014

Dear ni_kii_8

Thank you so much for your kind words. The team do work hard to ensure every guest has a great time whilst under their care, so it is always gratifying to read they have succeeded again in providing that great customer service they thrive on.

Please accept my apologies regarding the Camp/Cot bed for the third person. I will speak to the team to ensure they communicate more effectively regarding these, as ideally they are actually only for children under the age of 12, and you should have been informed of this at the time before agreeing the reservation.

Despite this, I hope that we can all look forward to you returning to Etrop Grange in the future should you ever have opportunity.

Kindest regards

There are newer reviews for Etrop Grange

Reviewed 24 March 2014

This is a review of our experience with Etrop Grange which was the venue for our marriage on 22 March 2014. Firstly let me declare that we are fully satisfied with the help and support on the day of the wedding, the staff couldn't have been more helpful and the duty manager Liam went out of his way to provide those last minute changes or additions that always occur. He provided much useful advice on tweaks and logistics and was an outstanding master of ceremonies. The venue is suitable, in my opinion, for small to medium sized receptions. We had just over 50 guests and we nearly filled the main room. The venue feels warm and friendly. In respect of the accommodation, we naturally had the wedding suite which was effectively 2 rooms joined together. I saw a guests room and I thought they were quite small. Clean and well equipped but a bit small. The decor in the hotel in places seemed a bit tired, some paint work needs doing. This is a minor criticism, its the service that counts and that was 10/10.

1  Thank Cedders22
ManagerEtrop, General Manager at Etrop Grange, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Dear Cedders22

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. It is always an honour to be chosen as the host for a couple’s special day, and I am delighted to hear that it was such a successful day. I know that all the team worked hard to ensure every expectation is met, and I am sure Liam will be equally delighted to know he has played his part.

Our impending soft-refurbishment will remedy any areas you may have noticed leading to your description of them being tired.

From the entire team, and myself, here at Etrop Grange, congratulations once again and all the very best for your future life together.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Stayed here the night before a very!! early morning flight the next day. I was greeted upon arrival by Andrew on the reception desk who was friendly & efficient. My room was ready even though I was a bit early for check in. I didn't need to ask, Andrew advised me right away that he would carry my bags up to my room for me. Poor bloke, all the way to 3rd floor. He let me know where everything was located, arranged a 3:00 am wake up all for me & booked a cab for 4:00 am the next morning as it was outside of their regular airport shuttle hours. Note...cab was complimentary & driver did not charge. I will definitely be staying here again. I'm so glad I tried this hotel myself without listening to some of the grumbles in other reviews. As a solo female traveller I felt safe, the bed was so comfortable & the bathroom squeaky clean.

A Ashton
Victoria B C , Canada

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Audrey A

Dear Audrey A

It was such a delight to read your wonderful review of your recent stay with us. It is always great to see team members receiving personal mentions, and I know Andrew works hard to ensure all our guests feel just as welcome during their time at the Hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Etrop Grange Hotel should you ever have occasion to return.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Our flight to Abu Dhabi has been cancelled due to technical problems at the destination airport and Etihad Airways put five of us in this place for overnight stay (March 6th) before the next morning flight. We were already disappointed enough while loosing one day of our holidays and that's why all good airlines provide you with accommodation including dinner and breakfast to make your journey interruption as smooth as possible - it's a standard procedure in such situation, especially for a long-haul flights (our destination was Bangkok via Abu Dhabi).
Hotel has got a pretty good location if you flying the next day (only few minutes drive from the Manchester Airport) - and that's all. At the check in the guy was very efficient and explained everything about the facilities, breakfast, etc, unfortunately it didn't match well with the reality after. We have to wait for dinner for ages, we have been sent to the bar to get the drinks while waiting but girl at the bar gave us that 'hate' look and she looked terribly tired or just had no customer service skills. After 30 minutes we have been seated finally (god knows why we waited so long while 75% of the tables weren't occupied). We have been waiting for the dishes for ages while two members of staff were looking so well after one table but never spoke to us and never asked if we are ok or perhaps if we want to order any drinks. We have to go to the bar (ran by that tired girl who never smiled) to get our drinks. I ordered chicken and waited 30 minutes just to be told that there is no more chicken so I can have fish and chips - it was horrible and extremely greasy. For dessert I ordered Manchester Tart but have been told that it finished so I can't have it, had to order cheese board like the rest of my group. Just after that seen the same waiter taking order for lovely... Manchester Tart from the next table diners. My cheeseboard arrived and was like a half of the portion the other diners had so I did complained on this point as I simply found it to much. Had to go to the kitchen to raise my complain as the waiter completely ignored us whole evening so there was no chance to get his attention while he was so busy entertaining the drunk couple at the other table... There was no sympathising at all, forget the apology.
Bathroom in our room was dirty, there were pubic hairs in the toilet and bathroom floor, dirty glasses and a lot of dust.
This place has been paid in full for our stay including dinner, bed and breakfast so I cannot understand why did they made us feel like intruders rather than guests?
Also I don't understand why is this place such popular for the weddings?! Look how many 'happy customers' reviewing about their wedding ... at the airport. If you want your unforgettable wedding at the Manchester Airport you've got to stay in Etrop Grange (it should be Gringe probable).
I worked about 15 years in the customer service field including more than 5 years in the hotels and I tell you what, you've got to re-train your staff about customer service and get the place cleaned.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank PawelZap

Dear PawelZap

I was so disappointed to read your review. I must admit that all other feedback I have received from the rest of the Delayed Flight party was only positive, so I am sorry that this was not the case for yourselves.

There can be no excuse for the issues you have highlighted regarding the cleanliness of the bedrooms, and the lack of customer service displayed by the Food &Beverage team. I would be grateful if you could take the time to contact me directly so that I may learn more about your stay and investigate further, and take action where necessary.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

We stayed the night here before an early morning flight from Manchester. There is very little service - the reception desk was chaos - and the bedrooms were miles away, upstairs and downstairs, through umpteen fire doors - no lifts and absolutely no help with the luggage or directions. We booked a table for 12 of us for dinner but we had to wait nearly an hour to be served and the staff were very lackadaisical. The table was poorly laid and the meal disappointing. Our bed was lumpy and the pillows very poor. Every time anyone flushed a loo or ran a tap in the night the plumbing vibrated and woke you up - so basically we had a very poor night's sleep. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear PenelopeL3

Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls encountered during your stay. I would be grateful if you could take the time to contact me directly so I may learn more about your stay.

Whilst at peak times areas of the Hotel can become very busy, particularly if a large group arrives together, my team are briefed to offer assistance with luggage and directions as standard. I am sorry that this was not evident during your stay.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

using Etrop for our pre holiday flight accommodation was ideal, close to airport, friendly staff, a hotel with character, despite its location. Looked forward to treating ourselves to an evening meal, which looking at your webpage, sounded very promising...it wasn't, very average food, bar meal at lunch was much better value, & then to be told..."oh you must have looked at the webpage when the other chef was here"!!!!. so yes, recommended, but be aware the good chef has left!!

Room Tip: we had a ground floor room as we were leaving early, so as not to disturb other guests
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear maffjill

I was pleased to see you enjoyed your stay overall, though I was bitterly disappointed to read your comments regarding our Wine Glass Restaurant. We have been accredited with one Rosette by the AA based on our food and service offering; I am so sorry that we have let ourselves down on this occasion and you have left with tarnished memories of your stay.

I would be grateful if you could take the time to contact me directly so that I may investigate this further with the Food & Beverage team.

Reviewed 20 March 2014

We stayed here before our flight to Dom Rep for 1 night. Basic accommodation but adequate as an airport base. The staff were friendly, it had a nice restaurant but service is a bit slow. We had the 3 course deal for £20 but we wanted an early night for an early start.The meal dragged on too long.
Reception gets megga busy at about 6pm so avoid that time.
Its so close to terminal 2 that you dont need to stay anywhere else.
Some rooms are in the bowels with limited natural light so avoid them if u can. Otherwise its fine

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor

Dear tango12354

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience here at Etrop Grange. All our Executive Rooms are located on the lower ground floor, with standard sized windows allowing natural light to enter and offer our largest square footage excepting our Courtyard Suites.

During peak times, all areas can become busy of course though this should not impact on the service offered to all our guests.

I do hope you will choose to return to Etrop Grange in the future should the opportunity arise.