“Pleasant afternoon”

Ranked #67 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
Northumberland
“Pleasant afternoon”
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Etrop is a lovely building surrounded by Manchester Airport. Despite arriving an hour early for our afternoon tea we were pleasantly greeted and handed over to a lovely waitress. We ate in the conservatory and the tea was very good, especially the cheese and asparagus tart. We have paid a lot more for teas that were not as good in the past than we did for this one, so I would recommend a visit. Top marks for the white linen and cleanliness. We both agreed the hotel had character and the bar area looked cosy. We did overhear a guest say she was unimpressed by her room and the food, but for what we paid we cannot complain. The only downside for me was the underlying smell often found in some hotels, a bit like stale butter. Nice touch with the attentive doorman, shame about the cigarette butts in the car park.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MagBlossom
ManagerEtrop, General Manager at Etrop Grange, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Dear MagBlossom

Thank you for reviewing your recent experience with Etrop Grange for you Afternoon Tea. This is a new offering for the Hotel, so it is gratifying to read just how much you enjoyed your time with us. I haven’t had any guests mention their disappointments, though we do try to capture as much feedback as possible on the day, and so far we have only had positive comments.

I will re-address our standards for cleanliness with my Front of House Manager with regards litter in the car park. I hope we can look forward to welcoming you back to Etrop Grange in the future.

jodi@etrophotel.co.uk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We recently held our wedding at Etrop Grange in March 2014.
The venue was ideal for the size of our wedding party- approx 40 in the day and 90 to the evening reception. The staff were excellent, in particular Liam who oversaw the day and made sure everything went according to plan. The food was excellent both the wedding breakfast and the evening buffet and all our guests thoroughly enjoyed the day. We would recommend anyone to have their reception there- the staff could not do enough to make sure that everything was just as we imagined it would be but it was actually better!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear Angela P

We are always delighted and honoured when a couple chooses to host their Wedding Celebrations here at Etrop Grange. It is therefore eternally gratifying to hear when guests pay recognition to the team, as they all work so hard to ensure everything goes without a hitch. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with all our Tripadvisor friends.

From all the team and I, we wish you all the very best together; I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Etrop Grange in the future should you ever have occasion to return.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We stayed at Etrop Grange for 1 night before flying to Mexico the following day. This was a great little hotel with lots of old English character and the room was modern and comfortable. We chose Etrop as they offered a sleep, park & fly package which made the start and end to our holiday effortless.

On the morning of our departure a shuttle driver was waiting at reception to take us to the airport, which was approx a 5 min drive away. Our car keys were handed over and our car was moved to a secure car park where it was kept for 2 weeks until we returned. On our return from Mexico, we simply rang a number on the card we were given on check-in, and within 10 minutes our car was brought to us at the terminal and we were straight on the road home.

I cant recommend this package and the service enough, it really made traveling from Newcastle to fly from Manchester totally hassle free and the price was competitive to many airport parking rates!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Debs S

Given your glowing reference and kind words, I hope we can look forward to seeing you again soon! It is always nice to read a guest has enjoyed their stay. We do offer some great facilities and services, and all at a great price as we recognise the importance of receiving value for money.

Runcorn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Me and my daughter were met at the airport train station by the courtesy car.
We were even taken to the venue at the airport on the evening.
Had a twin room on ground floor. Nice spacious room.
Dust in bathroom on shower head and paint peeling off walls. Toilet roll holder falling off the wall. Cracked sink.
I know this is picky but only 4 tiny pots of milk with the tea coffee facilities although however there was plenty of teas and coffees.
nice quite ground floor room and comfortable beds. Nice fluffy pillows.
Got down for breakfast half an hour before finishing. They were moving tables all around us which made me feel uncomfortable as we felt rushed and almost before I had finished my plate they were rushing to take it away. Nice breakfast and plenty of choice. Which was good.
Check out 12. However we were disturbed by housekeeping at 10.30 letting themselves into our room. Which I thought was very rude.
Even though with these little (fixable) problems I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Mary-Helen W

Despite the niggles encountered during your stay, I am pleased to see you enjoyed your time with us. Please know that additional toiletries and in-room refreshments are always available through Reception should those provided not be enough, and we do provide a 'Do Not Disturb' door hanger for guests wishing an un-interrupted start to their day. However, I will be discussing your comments with my Heads of Department regarding the issues of cleanliness you mention, and to see how we can improve the great service we already offer.

The team and I do hope you will choose to return to Etrop Grange in the future.

Guisborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2014

This is a medium sized hotel with a bit of character, just on the edge of Manchester Airport. We stayed here with our son, his wife and their young baby when they were catching a flight back to the USA. Although we'd booked two rooms at the same time, they were a long way apart, on different floors. The rooms were a good size, but the executive room (slightly more expensive) didn't seem to have any features to make it worth the extra cost. We were charged ten pounds for a cot for one night - I wish I'd asked in advance what the charge would be, as we had a travel cot with us in the car anyway. Food (we ate in the bar) was average only, and there wasn't a great deal of choice. We looked at the restaurant menu, but it didn't entice us into paying the prices they charge. Breakfast was basic buffet, especially considering it was an extra ten pounds even if booked in advance. Cooked items were to order at an extra cost. Positives were the friendly staff and the very efficient shuttle service. It's less than five minutes to the terminals and they were happy to take us all, then bring two of us back when we'd said goodbye after the travellers checked in. It's not a cheap option, and maybe not the best quality either, but if the individual character of the hotel appeals (as opposed to the chains with their more standardised buildings in and around the airport) then it could be for you.

Room Tip: on our experience, not worth paying extra for an executive room. If you want rooms near each other...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Nigel_Guisborough

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay here at Etrop Grange. Guest feedback is an important learning tool for my team, allowing them to make improvements to the service and products that we offer.

With the room types booked, I believe this is why they may not have been close together as our Executives are on a separate floor. To enable the placement of the travel cot, and still have ample room for luggage and movement, I believe my team allocated our largest standard room available, which is similar in size to an Executive. However, we are continuously looking at our product and appreciate your feedback.

Should you ever have occasion to return, please contact myself or Chris Packer, Front of House Manager (foh@etrophotel.co.uk) directly so that we can ensure you receive the best possible deal, and the right rooms, with the services you require.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2014

just returned from a few days stay at the etrop grange as attending meetings in manchester, greeted by Chris who i've got to say was helpful in everyway as were the shuttle drivers as well, rooms of a good standard although my first room was on laundry bin runway?? I was woken up at 0615ish for the first 2 days of my stay so asked to be moved, this wasn't a problem and was told ah that will be the laundry service? Perhaps a review of collection time could help?? Also you can hear all the waterworks going on in different rooms. Rooms also old style but comfortable although dont even bother to sort out the aircon as this worked intermittently as did the free wifi? Food good although a tad expensive, around £14 for a burger and chips?? Overall not a bad stay at the etrop but would prefer a quiter stay?

• Stayed April 2014
Dear royzie64

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience here at Etrop Grange with all our Tripadvisor readers, and for the kind words regarding the team members encountered during your stay. They all work hard to try and ensure every guest enjoys their stay, and it is particularly pleasing to see this recognised.

I am sorry for the disturbances encountered, and I will certainly be investigating your comments with my Department Heads to discover what went wrong during your stay, and what we can do in the future to prevent a re-occurrence.

Should you ever have occasion to return, please contact myself or Chris Packer, Front of House Manager (foh@etrophotel.co.uk) directly and we will personally look after your booking.

manchester
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We stayed at the Etrop grange for a wedding. There were three of us in the room which wasn't ideal in the first place.

The room itself was nice. They were huge but it comfortably fit in all beds, a TV and an en suite bathroom. The staff were nice, even going so far as to keep the bar open for us when we got in VERY late (they charged the drinks to the room as the bar was shut) and keeping the breakfast open after said late night mean't we got down to the restaurant 5 minutes after they were supposed to stop serving. The room was clean and the facilities were appreciated (Iron and coffee/tea making is provided in the room).

The only complaint I have was about the cot bed that was provided for the third guest in our room. Don't get me wrong, I never expected it to be completely comfortable, but I'm pretty sure the guest would have got a better night sleep on the floor.

Great hotel but keep to only two to a room; your extra guest will not sleep!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear ni_kii_8

Thank you so much for your kind words. The team do work hard to ensure every guest has a great time whilst under their care, so it is always gratifying to read they have succeeded again in providing that great customer service they thrive on.

Please accept my apologies regarding the Camp/Cot bed for the third person. I will speak to the team to ensure they communicate more effectively regarding these, as ideally they are actually only for children under the age of 12, and you should have been informed of this at the time before agreeing the reservation.

Despite this, I hope that we can all look forward to you returning to Etrop Grange in the future should you ever have opportunity.