“Disappointed”

Ranked #66 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
North Wales, Pennsylvania
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Stayed for 1night, room 28. Main room light didn't work just flickered on and off. Light in cupboard didn't work but managed to get it going myself. Room was dirty, empty coffee sachets on floor. Bathroom dated with black stains in bathroom, and noisy cistern which took ages to fill. Very sad return as I have stayed here 3times before a few years ago and never experienced any problems. Sadly I will not be returning again. Positive points are the wonderful staff, especially reception and the resturant.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 504mark
ManagerEtrop, General Manager at Etrop Grange, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear 504mark

I really do believe it would be such a shame if you chose not to return to Etrop Grange in the future. Please accept my sincere apologies for the issues encountered with your bedroom on this visit - and be assured that by highlighting exactly what has gone wrong, the team and I will be taking appropriate corrective action to ensure future guests are not disappointed.

Our soft-refurbishment is now well under-way, and defects such as those you have mentioned are on our list to remedy along with a general improvement throughout the Hotel. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you ever have occasion to come back to Manchester, I know the team and I would love the challenge to rebuild your faith with us.

jodi@etrophotel.co.uk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Polish first
Holmes Chapel, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

We were invited to a wedding here on a Sunday and decided to book a room. We were allocated room17 in the stable block, it was quite small and a bit shabby, the old round window wouldn't close properly because of all the filler at the bottom and wasn't double glazed so there was quite a bit of aircraft noise. The room was also over the disco but as we were wedding guests this wasn't much of an issue until we went toned at 12 and the d.j. finished at 1 .am. As is often the case with these small hotels there isn't a lot of space for so many guests, the bar was cramped with one person serving most of the time and they ran out of Guinness and bitter, very unfortunate for some of the Irish guests!
However the food was very good and was well served and hot. The staff were good and worked very hard. Again at breakfast they struggled with room and we ate at a tiny table in the bar. We mentioned the state of the room when checking out and were told there was a big refurbishment about to start. I hope it works because this could be an excellent hotel.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Nigel T

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with all our Tripadvisor friends. Of course, I am disappointed to learn about the issues you encountered during your time at the Hotel but I am grateful for the constructive feedback you have provided.

Please be assured that I will be sharing this with the Department Heads and the teams, in order to provide a better quality of product and service. We are constantly monitoring our staffing levels and although (as can happen on occasion) we may run short of popular products, we do offer several alternatives for our guests to enjoy in those circumstances.

Our refurbishment is indeed well under-way, with the first section of rooms due to return for sale very soon; along with our exciting new food and beverage menu, I am confident should you ever have occasion to return to Etrop Grange you will not leave with a tinge of disappointment again.

Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This was our 5th time staying at this hotel as we find it very handy for Manchester airport however we think it is not as nice now as previous visits have been. The hotel is right next to airport which is great but on this stay we stayed in room at back of hotel and it was obvious someone was smoking in one of the rooms as you could smell it every time you entered the corridor so how staff could not act I DON't know I did complain on morning of our departure and was told that they were aware of it and knew which room it was but I don't know why they didn't do something the day before.
We also witnessed people ordering take ways for rooms which I would have thought would have been against hotel policy but maybe not!
As I say the hotel seems to be going backwards somehow and not as pleasant to stay in as previously so we will be going elsewhere next year as we are flying from Manchester again.
Ps tap in room dripped all night.

Room Tip: Rooms are all quite nice but try to get near reception if you have heavy cases like my wife.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear makems_13

I was so disappointed to read your thoughts of Etrop Grange after your most recent visit. I would like to assure yourself and our Tripadvisor friends we are very proactive in the matter of guests smoking in our bedrooms. The Hotel is indeed non-smoking throughout, and when residents are found to be contravening this, the team are trained to deal with this with consideration to all parties - offending guests are advised of the cost to be paid for a deep-clean of the room, charged, and reminded any further contravention would result in their removal. Unfortunately, many of our international visitors are not always aware of the law in this respect, and we believe a degree of understanding is of benefit to all.

We do not have a definitive policy on our guest's ordering food from outside sources - whilst we are bitterly downhearted when a guest does not dine from our wonderful menus, an individual's comfort is of paramount importance. The only restriction we place is that the food not be consumed in public areas.

Other than the dripping tap, I am unsure of how we may have failed to meet your expectation on this occasion, and would be grateful if you could find the time to contact me directly so I may learn more about your previous stays in comparison, as we really do not like to lose our valued friends to a competitor if we have a chance to redeem ourselves.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

stayed here a few times over the years with work nice hotel nice location not far from my work . Hotel staff very helpful rooms very comfy , food was good . I don't know if they do it now but they used to have a chauffeur driving rolls to take you to airport as a shuttle which i thought was a nice touch. only problem i ever had was some doo going on one night which was a bit rowdy but i did not mind in fact i had to laugh at some of their antics

Room Tip: any room trees keep traffic noise away
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Dear arthurg

It was such a delight to read your fantastic comments regarding the Hotel and our team. I am sorry to say that we no longer have the 'Rolls; it proved too small for the larger luggage many travellers now require so we have a vehicle with much more boot space!

It has clearly been too long since your last visit, and we would be delighted to share the exciting tweaks we are making to our product and service so that we may gather your thoughts and keep our place in your heart as a favourite destination to stay near Manchester.

I do hope we can look forward to seeing you return to Etrop Grange soon.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I made a reservation to stay here for the night of 13th May 2014. I carefully chose a hotel within walking distance of the Airport so I could make my own way there after my late evening flight landing. I also wanted an easy walk the following morning to the airport's train station to complete my journey home.
On arrival at the hotel there was an issue with my reservation of the kind that travellers can face from time to time. We all accept that things can go wrong with our travel plans and hotel reservations from time to time. So for me the critical point here is the quality of customer care and effectiveness, or otherwise, of the provider's problem resolution skills.
It's here that I want to record the Etrop Grange Hotel excelled itself in every respect. The staff had forseen the problem, addressed it prior to my arrival, and everything was solved in a totally satisfactory and generous way. This was followed up with an exchange of e-mails with the hotel's manager a few days later to ensure that I was happy with the overall outcome.
So I'm happy and pleased to record a five star rating for this hotel and its customer service.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Dear Nick B

As you mention in your review, certain circumstances unfortunately do arise that result in difficult situations for all concerned. Once again, I am grateful for your patience and understanding on this occasion, and for the time you have taken to converse with me to ensure you will remain a valued friend of Etrop Grange.

I know you will be returning in the future, and the team and I are already looking forward to the challenge of providing the high quality of product and service we thrive on. I am confident our refurbishment plans and mouth-watering new food & beverage offerings will draw you back time and again.

All our very best

Sheffield
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel for one night before an early flight. They run a frequent, free and comfortable shuttle to the airport, whenever needed.
No complaints at all about the staff, who were kind and helpful.
The problem was that we had booked, through Laterooms.com, a twin room but apparently this information had not been passed on so we were booked into a double. The reception said that this happens often with Laterooms.com. The receptionist did his best, and found us a “suite” of sorts, consisting of one pleasant double room, but the other room was really just a small conference room with an opened up (though comfortable) sofabed. Not a particularly pleasant place to sleep. Additionally the cups provided in the main room were not clean, so we had to raid the conference cupboard for clean cups.
If the hotel finds that a particular agent or website is not passing them information that ensures the comfort of its guests, then why does it not tackle the problem or stop using that source?
I realise that not everyone can have lovely views from a hotel room, and we weren’t there long, but the view was of overflowing dustbins. These should really not be visible anywhere from the hotel that guests can see.

Room Tip: If you want a twin room then make sure the hotel knows about it.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear joolsd

Whilst I was pleased to learn the team did their utmost on your behalf once an issue was highlighted, I am sorry to see that it was understandably not what could have been expected prior to arrival. I have spoken with my Sales team, who have confirmed my initial suspicions; the Hotel only has 4 (four) twin-bedded rooms - as such, we do not sell this room type via online travel agents, such as laterooms.com. Twins can be requested in the special comments section, but should they be unavailable we will still offer the original double room as booked.

However, in order to ensure something has not gone awry for this process, I would be grateful if you could contact me directly so I may investigate your individual booking specifically. I was also disappointed to read about the unclean cups provided, and will be discussing this with my Housekeeping team.

I do hope that you would consider returning to Etrop Grange again, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kind regards

Mona Vale, Australia
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We had an emergency trip to Manchester to visit a sick relative and booked a 10 day stay which was extended by a few days. Because we were visiting Wythenshawe Hospital daily, Etrop Grange was a very convenient location also close to the Airport. We were not aware of any noise from the road or the airport and the room was comfortable but very compact, especially considering the length of our stay. Our only concern was the bathroom (but isn't that often the way in England?). The fixed shower above the bath had a force similar to a water canon and the screen leaked so water spread over the entire bathroom floor. To stop it spilling onto the bedroom carpet we used a towel but obviously previous guests hadn't bothered and the carpet was water damaged as a result. The hotel has a restaurant with a limited menu and seemed to do constant business with wedding receptions most weekends. There is a cosy bar area and other lounge areas which seem quite comfortable, but we rarely used them on our visit because often they were occupied by wedding guests. This hotel is 'quaint English' rather than slick international but has a certain amount of atmosphere as a result. The staff were very friendly and obliging. We had a hire car, so the location suited us very well. There are no shops or restaurants within walking distance so if you are staying there you would either need your own vehicle or a taxi. (Another reviewer mentioned you could walk to the airport - well only if you are young, very fit, with no luggage and lots of spare time! I wouldn't consider it.) The hotel does have its own shuttle vehicle for to and from airport transport. They had a very annoying wifi policy of having to enter a new code every day, however, this probably isn't an issue for a shorter stay. Breakfast was quite expensive considering we only wanted a small amount of food, so we tended to eat elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Foodie1947

Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls experienced during your extended visit with us. I would be grateful if you could take the time to contact me directly so I may investigate the individual room concerned. I must also apologise for the poor timing; I am pleased to confirm our exciting new Food and Beverage offerings have now 'gone live' including extended Restaurant and Lounge menus.

We are investigating several options regarding our free Wifi as we do recognise it has some limitations. This will be part of our wide-ranging refurbishment and review of facilities we offer.

We would love to show off our fantastic changes next time you make the long journey to Manchester - please do let me know if I can ever be of any assistance in organising a return visit.