“Fawlty Etrop!! But Good.”
Review of Etrop Grange

Etrop Grange
Ranked #66 of 119 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Stayed on a Sunday to catch early flight to Mexico.Building impressive with history,Check in. was good,room was good everything you need for a over night stay and bed was very comfy,surprised how quiet it was been so close to airport,Now on this Sunday they where very understaffed and Andrew F/B manager and the two young girls who worked the bar where run of there feet.Andrew is very informative about the history of this old building.We meet a really nice Aussie couple while we where here <very funny but slightly mad> and had a good time in there company.One down side point forgot to give us the early morning,set your phone,they did apologize.Now the Airport transfer was excellent and so was the car return,what a nice guy the driver is,v. good.Now would we stay here again Yes because it is Quirky

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
ManagerEtrop, General Manager at Etrop Grange, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Dear Holli19

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review for all our Tripadvisor friends.

I will address the issue with the team regarding your missed call, as this is an important part of the service we offer, and I am disappointed to see it has let us down as on another day it could have been a more serious infraction.

Despite this, I was pleased to learn you will consider returning to Etrop Grange in the future - we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

There are newer reviews for Etrop Grange

Reviewed 17 July 2014

we visited the Etrop Grange last Saturday for Afternoon Tea, first impressions of hotel were good, lovely setting with ample parking.After entering into the reception we approached the small reception desk and the lady asked us to wait a minute whilst she found us a table.
We were hoping to go in the conservatory but were shown to a nice small side room which housed a large party of ladies and with there only being the two of us felt drowned out by the crowd.
The Afternoon Tea was nothing to rave over as a few of the sandwiches were stale as these were probably made earlier in the day and felt the choice of sweets were sparse.Was really looking forward to our treat but left feeling rather disappointed.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TraceyanneManchester

Dear TraceyanneManchester

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent trip to Etrop Grange.

Our fantastic Afternoon Tea offer has been running for a few months now, and with all the great positive feedback and constructive criticism received during this time, we have been constantly tweaking the service and products offered as we gauged just what our customers expected whilst they were at the Hotel.

There have been occasions where the team or product have disappointed, and I am sorry to learn that this is the case for yourselves. Please contact me directly so I may learn more about the day you spent with us, and how we let you down on this occasion.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

I have stayed at the Etrop Grange once a month for 6 months and been in 6 different rooms. I love the old character of the building, the comfy beds and the artwork on the walls. Its location has suited me very well, with never any airport noise. The lack of a lift was OK as there was always staff offering to carry bags.

BUT, I am now switching hotels for my future visits through Manchester airport. Each and every room has had problems or something wrong with it. In general the carpets are grubby plus have stains. The bathroom walls often have peeling surfaces and once the shower screen came away. I have even had to tighten the screws on a metal bedframe to ensure I was not woken as it rattled as I moved. But the straw that broke this camel's back was my last stay on Sunday in a room with sash windows that were mostly covered over by ivy growing from the walls across the glass, blocking out most of the daylight. The windows only opened a few inches at the top so with ivy across the gap there was very little ventilation and I resorted to tearing the ivy away to open up the gap and get some air and light. What does it say about attitudes to guests that they would consider such an arrangement as acceptable?

I have concluded that the hotel is being neglected and allowed to decline from its former glory, which is rather sad.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank D P

Dear D P

Although I fully appreciate your decision to change Hotels given your experience over the previous 6 months, I would be grateful if you could contact me directly so I may learn more about your stays as I truly believe it would be such a shame should you not choose to return to Etrop Grange.

As you should be aware, the Hotel is under-going an investment process, with a soft-refurbishment throughout and many historical maintenance issues inherited from the previous owners being resolved. I do understand the frustration that the chronic lack of funding over the years has impacted on the product that we offer, but I would like to reassure you that the team, company and I are all focussed on improving the product and facilities to match the service on offer.

We do not believe the arrangements you have highlighted to be acceptable, and as you will know, our Reception team and Duty Managers are available at all times to provide assistance should any guest be unhappy with an aspect of their stay.

I do hope you will be able to find some time to help me understand what you have encountered.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Last night I stayed at this hotel with some corporate colleagues! All of us had mixed opinions apart from that of the staff! Upon arrival at the hotel the check in staff were rude and arguing about wifi codes that they only had 3 left and needed to activate some more and they would call us to tell them are codes which were never received! That evening we all went for drinks in the bar. We ordered some glasses of prosecco and the young girl behind the bar didn't even know what glass to use or how much to poor despite it clearly stating on the menu. She had to go and check with her manager and left us waiting at the bar for a long time when she came back we still ended up with huge glasses full!! Later that evening one staff member spilt a full glass of wine over me and my chair and never received an apology, let alone a replacement!! We got interrupted and asked to leave the bar by 10.15pm because the bar was now closed which I find dissapoining in a hotel.
Although the food at breakfast was nice it was extremely slow. All the staff are very young and seem like they can't be bothered and don't want to be there!
My room was lovely and Newley refurbished however a colleague of mine stayed in the suite and it was old and dated with Stained carpet and paint coming off the walls. Her bath had hairs in it and was dirty and unclean! The rooms are very mixed in terms of quality and standard. For the money, there are several hotels close by that are much better value! As a company we will defiantly not be using this hotel again. Very dissapoining and bad staffing who all have attitudes!!

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank KLM1990

Dear KLM1990

I would be so grateful if you could take the time to contact me directly regarding your recent stay here at Etrop Grange.

As you will see from our many Tripadvisor friends, it is incredibly rare we receive negative comments about our team members, and I know that what you have described will disappoint them as much as it will me. I can see that there are opportunities for us to learn from our mistakes, and would appreciate more in-depth feedback so I can understand where we have let ourselves down and how we can improve.

Our soft-refurbishment is well under-way, and moving in phases throughout the Hotel. I am sure any other rooms or areas you may have seen that led you to describe them as dated will be remedied soon. However, this does not excuse the poor level of cleanliness you have described, and I am sure your feedback will allow me to focus on this with my Housekeeping team.

I am sorry your group have not enjoyed your stay with us, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

I have stayed in a lot of hotels in my time.....this has got to be the best. Great staff, clean rooms, amazing food and at the airport. This is a gem of a place. They operate a shuttle to the airport....just a fantastic hotel. Even my cat was relaxed....

Room Tip: Try and get rooms 8/9....you won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank VFR1200V4

Dear VFR1200V4

Thank you for taking the time to share such a wonderful review.

It is always a delight to learn a guest has enjoyed their time here at Etrop Grange, and even more so when their delight is shared with our Tripadvisor friends.

Although it may be such a long journey, should you ever have occasion to return please do contact me and I would be happy to help with any arrangements in order to do so - including the return of your cat!

All our very best wishes.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

I booked the Etrop Grange using Hotwire, not knowing what I was getting. I was pleasantly surprised! The shuttle is fast & easy, very professional. The hotel is a restored historical property, so adds a touch of class & uniqueness. I actually had the choice of rooms upon arrival and stayed in a twin room on the ground floor (which helped with luggage - no elevator). The room was clean, nicely appointed, and spacious. The staff was professional & courteous.

I also ate in the restaurant and had a great burger!

Would recommend the Etrop Grange and would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: No elevator, so choose a ground floor room if you have lots of luggage or struggle with steps.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Dear EuroShanny

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay.

Please be aware that although there is no lift in the building, should we not be able to allocate a room on the ground floor, our team will always offer assistance with luggage around the building and up/down stairs.

We would be delighted to welcome you back should you ever have occasion to return, and challenge ourselves on earning a 5th star rating!

Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

My husband & I stayed at the Etrop on Saturday night. We arrived in Manchester very early & went to the hotel to drop our bags off. We were met by a very friendly man who took our bags & then offered to drive us down to the train station! Our room was really nice. Clean, spacious & had a super comfy bed. We opted for room service for our dinner & enjoyed every mouthful of it. The chocolate brownie in particular was devine! When checking out we were offered a lift back to the airport, which we were delighted with. All in all we really enjoyed our stay, the hotel itself is lovely and the staff are fantastic. So pleasant & friendly. Everything was done with a smile on their face & they really made us feel right at home! Looking forward to going back soon!!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Charlie-bear2013

Dear Charlie-bear2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. It is always appreciated when the team's efforts to ensure the Hotel offers a welcoming and comfortable environment for all our guests have been recognised. They really do go the extra mile to play their part in creating an atmosphere whereby many look forward to returning time after time.

I know the Chef will also be happy to read your description of our new food offerings, as a lot of time and care is taken in the preparation of the fare.

I hope we can all look forward to welcoming you back to Etrop Grange in the near future - and perhaps we can succeed in earning a 5th star rating on your next review.