“A nice alternative to a branded hotel”
Review of Etrop Grange

Etrop Grange
Ranked #66 of 121 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I needed a room to stay overnight before my flight back to USA from Manchester. I had done this previously and stayed at several of the airport branded hotels, but wanted something different and more personal. Etrop Grange fitted the bill for being convenient, quirky [each room seems to be different than the others], excellent concierge service. I was followed to the vehicle rental drop off area and the concierge waited for me to complete returning the vehicle before taking me back. I had not expected that. This is apart from the expected drop off at the airport the following morning. Food and alcoholic drinks were reasonably priced and better than you would get in a branded hotel. I had a slight problem with the bill, but that was handled well by the manager.
Not luxury, not trendy, but very nice period building with old-fashioned service in an attractive setting.
More to the point I would and shall use it again next time I need an airport hotel in Manchester

Room Tip: The hotel does not appear to have any lifts so older or infirm guests should avoid the top floor. O...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Countyarrow1
ManagerEtrop, General Manager at Etrop Grange, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2014

Dear Countyarrow1

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with the team and I at Etrop Grange.

The team work so hard to provide a friendly and comfortable environment for all our guests, so it is always pleasing to read when they have succeeded and even gone above and beyond what was expected of them.

As a former private residence, many rooms are individual and we believe this is one of the any charms of the building, yet each is well equipped and offer a different experience to other Hotels as you have mentioned.

I do hope we can all look forward to welcoming you back to Etrop Grange the next time you have occasion to make the long journey.

jodi@etrophotel.co.uk

Write a ReviewReviews (1,468)

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Booked this hotel which is only 2 mins from airport with 10 days parking and transfers to and from airport included. This was good value for money and I would stay here again if using Manchester airport. The room was large and clean with a high, comfy bed. We had no issues with the cleanliness of the room. Staff are friendly and helpful. The evening meal was very good and reasonable priced but service was a little slow. Did not have breakfast. Transfer to airport was on time and meet and greet on return from holiday was great.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Teeside Chestnut

From all of the team and I, thank you for much for your kind words. It is always a great delight for us to read we have succeeded in ensuring a guest's stay has been a comfortable and enjoyable time, and I know we will be honoured to be able to welcome you back to Etrop Grange in the future should you ever have occasion to be in the area again.

Until that time, our best wishes.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Now for the bad.... Room was just large enough to swing a small cat but was dirty and in need of updating. Carpets were stained, cobwebs on the light fittings and mildew in the bathroom. I would have been prepared to accept this in a cheap B&B in Blackpool but certainly not at the price of this hotel. Shower itself was dangerous as the screen required you to clamber around it onto the wet tiled floor which very nearly caused me to slip (accident waiting to happen in my opinion). Also ventilation in room was poor so whole room filled with steam as you showered. Communal areas also smelt very musty and I would suggest needed a deep clean.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank PHIL625

Dear PHIL625

I would be grateful if you could take the time to contact me directly on 0161 493 2100 or via my email noted below. I am concerned to read about the cleanliness and service issues you encountered during your stay and would like the opportunity to learn more about your stay so I can investigate further.

I can confirm as of August we have retained our 4 star status as awarded by the AA as part of their annual . Despite this, as you may have noticed during your stay or read here on Tripadvisor or seen on various websites (including our own), the owners are investing heavily into the bedroom stock, public areas & facilities, and produce available. Our new menus were launched in June, 10 of the first 'Club' bedrooms came online at the end of May (with more being completed as I write) and much more planned for the coming months.

I am sorry we have provided a disappointing stay for you on this occasion, and I look forward to hearing from you so I may correct any defaults with the room you occupied and perhaps we can discuss your return and challenge ourselves to earn a place in your heart as we know we are capable - as is the Hotel.

Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Will start with the good points as that won't take long. Service was good and breakfast was reasonable although there was quite a wait for the cooked breakfast. Now for the bad.... room was dirty and just big enough to swing a very small cat. Carpets stained, cobwebs and peeling paint. Bed was extremely hard and there was very little ventilation so the whole room filled with steam when you took a shower. Shower itself was dangerous as you had to clamber around the shower screen onto the wet tiled floor which seemed like an accident waiting to happen. Communal areas smelled musty and in desperate need of a deep clean.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Phil S

Dear Phil S

Reviewed 1 August 2014

booked the hotel for stay for a wedding a short drive away.was told there was a free taxi service from hotel to venue.arrived at hotel at 1245pm to be told our rooms wouldnt be ready till after 2pm the wedding was at 130pm and the hotel was aware of this.we had to leave everything in the car.we then got in the mini bus provided by hotel and the taxi driver got lost! my neice had to use her sat nav on phone to get us there with mins to spare. my daughter arrived at hotel at 5pm and checked in her room and ours she then enquired for the taxi to bring her to the venue to be told only if its in the area. a taxi arrived but she was charged £10!so much for free taxi.we got back to hotel at 230am only to be knocked up at 830am for housekeeping! disgusting as we only had the room for 6hours ! we then went for breakfast it was chaotic.no tables left.when we did sit down the table was full of dirty pots we had to ask for tea/coffee there was no bread for toast no cups for tea and the smallest portions ever for breakfast.this cost us £90 save your money and book into the premier inn instead got to be better value for money.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank jacque2014

Dear jacque2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay here at Etrop Grange. I would be grateful if you could take the time to contact me so I may investigate your comments further, as this is not the usual standard our guests should expect. I was particularly disappointed to learn about your breakfast experience, as we take great care to ensure we offer the best start to a day for all our guests, yet we have let ourselves and you down on this occasion.

To confirm, Hotel check-in is 2pm, and check-out is 12pm. This consideration is offered to all our guests, but sometimes this may mean we are unable to offer access earlier though we will always offer assistance storing luggage should a room be unavailable before 2pm. I will ask my Head Housekeeper to review our processes to prevent further disturbances to guests, but we do encourage customers to take advantage of the 'Do Not Disturb' door hangers to communicate this wish to our team.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

We were picked up by the hotel car and arrived to a lovely welcome by Kriztina Fabo. I was pleasantly surprised by the quaint English house which is the Etrop Grange. Loved the decor which smacks of England and the polite friendly staff. A relaxed atmosphere, lovely huge suite. Quaint and yet modern and a lovely introduction to Manchester.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear zaylahis

Thank you so much for your kind words, and for taking the time to share your experience with all our Tripadvisor friends. I was delighted to learn how much you enjoyed your stay, and for the personal mention Krisztina received as personifying the effort the team put into creating a warm, friendly and relaxing environment for all out guests.

We hope we can look forward to welcoming you back to Etrop Grange soon.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Enjoyed this charming/comfy hotel close to Manchester Airport/train. Easy transportation to and from Manchester Airport/train station. Room was comfortable and appreciated the dark draperies. Breakfast buffet substantial and delicious. Of course you can order off the menu for an extra charge. Nice having the restaurant open at night so we didn't have to go out again after a busy tiring day. Delicious. Folks do tend to dress a tad for dinner. Food was quite nice. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
ManagerEtrop, General Manager at Etrop Grange, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Dear BevCS

Thank you for all your kind words. The team wok so hard to create a welcoming and comfortable environment for all our guests, and I know they will be as pleased as I to discover you have appreciated and shared this with all our Tripadvisor friends.

We hope to have opportunity to welcome you back to Etrop Grange in the future.