“Hard to find with sign faded and neon switched off”
Review of Gardens Hotel

Gardens Hotel
Ranked #69 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Hard to find with sign faded and neon switched off”
Reviewed 5 December 2013

The Hotel was very hard to find, I did not beleive my map I had printed out and re googled it on my phone, whilst it said I was near I could not see the red and green neon sign that I had seen on the web site. This turned out to be because the neon sign was not working and the paint on it has faded to nearly white. Also there were no lights on above shop level so I was convinced that even once i had found it, that it may have gone bust and closed down. However there was a small dorway between 2 shops so I reluctantly ventured in. For the £115 I had paid to book at short notice it was below my expectation. The room was an internal room with no windows and hot and gloomy, there is just a table lamp, 2 bedside lamps and a wonky floor standing light. There was no way to ventilate my room. Floor tiles were cracked in the bathroom and most things could do with a complete refurb rather than a lick of paint. Had my wife been with me she would have walked out, but as I was on a business trip and tired I put up with it.

Room Tip: Make sure you have a good map should you wish to find this hotel, and ask for a room with a window...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Katy A, General Manager at Gardens Hotel, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Thank you for posting your review following your recent stay at the hotel, It is disappointing to receive only one star, and to know that we have failed to meet your expectations for the duration of the stay. Your comments will be reviewed in detail and circulated amongst the management team and also to our head office so that we may make changes and improvements in future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Islamabad, Pakistan
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Very nice hotel in terms of location, staff, rooms condition, easy access to rail station, city tourist busses, city attractions. I stayed in single (twin bed) room which was with quite much space. I was so happy to stay there, and I will recommend to everyone and I would love to stay again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Many Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel and to provide a 5 star review, it is always a pleasure to receive good feedback and to know that our guests are satisfied with the service we provide.
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Stayed at the Gardens for one night when in Manchester for a gig. The hotels location is extremely central... couldn't get more central to be honest what with it being on Piccadilly and all. I was in a courtyard room on the 3rd floor, reasonably small but thats ok. Bed was comfy enough and bath/shower combination sufficed. The hot water was incredibly hot and the cold water didn't do much more than trickle... it also didn't work in the sink when it was on in the bath! Minor things though really.

Sleepwise, I have to say not great. Bed comfy as I've mentioned, but this place has creaky wooden floors and that woke me up whenever someone walked by in the corridor. Whilst there is no noise from the street (in my room anyway) I have stayed in much quieter hotels and would have to rate this hotel in the lower half sleep-quality wise.

Breakfast was ok, selection of small boxed cereals, toast, some meats, yogurts. English Breakfast ordered off a menu, not buffet. Quality reasonable but not exceptional..... all grilled.

Check in/out efficient enough but I have been greeted/said-goodbye-to by friendlier people. Its the small things as we all know.

Would I stay here again? I'd do a night here again, but not a week. Price of £95 absolutely ludicrous but then again all hotels in Manchester seem to be fleecing everyone constantly.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay at the hotel, I am sorry you were not happy with certain aspects.
Without knowing your room number I am unable to check on the problems with the water in the room, however housekeeping do check all rooms daily so we should be able to fix this.
As an old building we do suffer with creaky floorboards and as we replace carpets we are making repairs to these but it is a timely process. It is disappointing to receive negative feedback on the breakfast and also the customer service level provided by the staff as these are normally areas which are praised. Your comments will be circulated amongst the staff in the hope that we can make adjustments to our service in the future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2013

After looking at lots of hotels for a long weekend stay in Manchester, we decided on the Gardens Hotel as it was the most affordable in such a central location. Some negative reviews were a little off-putting, but it turned out to be a decent place to stay for a city break.
Breakfast was included in the price and offered a good range of continental, full English and vegetarian options – and it was all very tasty!

The room was pretty small, but comfy and clean with TV and tea/coffee facilities. It was definitely worth paying a bit extra for an external room, as without a window it would've felt too small and dark.

As it was, there were a few niggles with the room: it could do with an additional main light instead of relying on lamps that don’t really provide enough light. More power points are needed, as there are currently only two available and one is very difficult to reach! Although the wardrobe had good hanging space, white powder came off on our clothes from loose plaster on the back wall. More generally, the décor could do with a bit of an update, especially in the bathroom.

Having said that, you really can’t beat the location – right in the middle of Piccadilly Gardens, walking distance from the main city sights and a few steps away from bus and tram stops. The staff are all very friendly and we were able to leave our cases in a secure room for the day after checking out, which was a big help. It’s certainly not the Hilton, but it’s a great option for a city centre hotel on a budget.

Room Tip: Definitely worth paying the few extra pounds for a room with a window.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Katy A, General Manager at Gardens Hotel, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Many Thanks for posting your review following your recent stay at the hotel. We are aware of the issues with lighting and are working to improve on this, however it is a lengthy process and we are also adding additional sockets as more and more people have electronic items requiring power. I am sorry about the powder from the wall within the wardrobe I will ask maintenance to look at this. I hope that these things have not deterred you from staying in the future. We try to ensure our rates are competitive and if booked from our own website will include a free breakfast.
Batley
Reviewed 4 December 2013

The price we payed £41.00 for a twin room inc. breakfast was reasonable & reflected the standard of room but if I had payed £100 (price for a one night stay later in December) I would not have been happy. Stayed in room 211, internal twin, not enough lighting as there's only bedside lamps & a floor lamp....would benefit from ceiling lights, the room was very small even for just 2 people however the bedding, towels & bathroom were very clean. In great need of some TLC.
Reception area very clean & pleasant, staff excellant & very friendly.
One big plus was that we checked out at 11 a.m. and were able to leave our bags at no extra cost, we didnt go back until 8 p.m. and that wasnt a problem.
Location is fantastic.
Overall if I could get the same price I would stay here again but would book a room with a window.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Katy A, General Manager at Gardens Hotel, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Many thanks for posting your review following your recent stay at the hotel, With reference to the lighting within the internal room, we do use energy efficient bulbs which do not always provide as much light so we are reviewing the levels in all rooms and making changes accordingly.
Your favourable remarks concerning the cleanliness within the hotel and the friendliness of the staff is appreciated and will be circulated to all.
We do have different standards of rooms within the hotel and do review our prices regularly to ensure that the rates are competitive. If you book via our website you will always receive the lowest price and a free breakfast. We do look forward to seeing you again.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 3 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed in Gardens Hotel for a night on 27 Nov. Its not a fancy smanshy hotel..but decent enough. Stayed in a single room and it was very spacious. Staff were friendly and the continental breakfast that came with the room was excellent. For £30 it was well worth it. Will surely recommend this hotel and even return again next time.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Katy A, General Manager at Gardens Hotel, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay, It is always nice to receive positive feedback and to know that our guests were happy. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2013

no problems whatsoever ,when i checked out at 11am they watched my luggage free till 6.30 pm when i had to get a bus home been in manchester lots of times this is first hotel with breakfast included clean room good facilities don`t know what else to add to this review

Room Tip: recommend it
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Many Thanks for your review following your recent stay at the hotel. Your comments will be circulated to all the staff. If you do decide to stay please use our website to ensure the "Best rate guarantee" and also a complimentary breakfast.