“Decent room at a bargain price but a bit noisy at times”
Review of Gardens Hotel

Gardens Hotel
Ranked #66 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Gloucestershire
“Decent room at a bargain price but a bit noisy at times”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

This is the second time I've stayed at the Gardens, and I'm glad I did. The hotel is about five minutes walk from Piccadilly station and it located in a busy part of Manchester. The nearest tram stop is 2-3 minutes walk away. Being in the heart of Manchester there are plenty of restaurants and shops close by.

The room was a double with en-suite bathroom. In the room there was a wall-mounted Freeview TV, free wifi, desk and wardrobe. Aside from the wardrobe, which was better than most hotels, there wasn't a lot of drawer space. The bathroom was spacious with a strong over-bath shower. Early in the morning, the water needed to be run for a minute or two before the hot water arrived but there was plenty of it.

Having booked several weeks in advance I got an excellent rate which included breakfast. As I was one of the first down for breakfast each morning, the service was excellent. As well as a buffet there is a choice of vegetarian or English cooked breakfast.

The only sour note was noise. My room was at the back of the hotel overlooking a street. During the both the Monday and Tuesday nights, I was woken by street noise in the early hours. However, Sunday and Wednesday nights were unbroken. On my final night I discovered the reason for the disturbance was a poorly closing window, which hopefully the hotel will repair.

Overall, brilliant value for money. I will definitely stay here again next time I'm in Manchester.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Andy_Diluvian
Katy A, General Manager at Gardens Hotel, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Good Morning, thank your for posting your review following your recent trip to the hotel. Unfortunately our location within the city does mean the noises that go with it, however you mention that the window wasn't closing properly, I will ask maintenance to check this and repair. For future reference some of the inside rooms are quieter, ask on arrival and we will try to allocate. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Singapore
Reviewed 11 January 2014

I stayed there for a day transit in Manchester. It's location is great, close to everything. It's close to Piccadilly station (along the same road), to shopping malls, and trem stops. Lots of restaurant and convenience stores nearby.

The building and its interior look old, but they have lift although small. The room was clean, but small, Small area to move around. I booked a single room, but got a double bed. The bed was comfy, the linen was clean, and had complete furniture (Dressing table, chair, TV, cupboard). Toiletries and towels were provided.

The bathroom is clean and big, with a bath tub style. The only problem was that the strength of the shower spray was uncontrollable. The shower spray was too powerful and I did not know how to slow it down. It's fine as long as we make sure the bath tub curtain is closed.
It was the best bet I got for the hotel around the city center!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Good Morning, thank you for your review and are pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
Hendersonville, North Carolina
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Stayed one night at the Garden Hotel before catching a flight from Man Airport. The hotel was clean and comfortable and the receptionist most helpful. Although the room was small (Room 407), mainly due to our over load on baggage, it was very cosy and the bed very comfy. I would definitely stay there again due to the convenience of Manchester Piccadilly Train Station, just a short walk up the pavement as well as been in the heart of the city centre. Many pubs and eateries are to be found along Portland St, right opposite the hotel.
My only concern was that the full breakfast could not be ordered before 7am and therefore if one is catching an early flight as we had to, there is no time to stay and eat it. Sadly we had to forego breakfast. If breakfast could start earlier, then this is definately a handy place to stay before flying, at a very reasonable price.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay at the hotel and your favourable comments. I am sorry you missed breakfast, however whilst our restaurant does not open until 7am, we do offer a continental room service breakfast that is available from the early hours of the morning for guests who have an early departure.
Killarney, Ireland
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Stayed here Dec 3rd & 4th. Excellent location to shops, trams,Piccadilly station, restaurants etc. Would definitely stay here again and would have no hesitation recommending this hotel to friends. Staff very welcoming and accommodating in getting our room ready as we arrived there at 9.30am after an early flight. Breakfast was more than adequate.

Room Tip: The internal rooms are very small and can get very hot, better to pay the bit extra for a room with...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Katy A, General Manager at Gardens Hotel, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Many Thanks for posting your review following your stay at the hotel. I am pleased you appreciated your early check in- Even though our official check in is not until 2pm, if the rooms are ready we will always allow guests an early check in with no extra charge. We hope to see you again in the future.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 5 January 2014

For the price, this hotel was great for my needs. It was cheap and in a great location and right by the tram station. There are several food and drink options nearby too. Of course the room was small, but it was clean and the bed was pretty comfortable.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Katy A, General Manager at Gardens Hotel, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Thank you for posting your review following your recent visit. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and found that we were good value and centrally located. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
oldham
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Had a one night stay here, booked via hotel's website, incredible value for money booked the day before our stay. We were just after somewhere to crash for a night out and this ticks all the boxes.

Perfect location on Piccadilly Gardens, ideal for northern quarter and gay village Really friendly reception staff, Room good size, neat and tidy with all you require, we went for an internal (no window) cheap as chips but a bit disorientating as you can't work out day or night one suggestion for the hotel, a digital clock would help with this.

We made it to the inclusive breakfast simple buffet with a reasonable selection of fruit, meat, yoghurt, cheese, juices, help yourself and a full English served to your table. Not the best ingredients but very acceptable for the price.

Will definitely use again.

Room Tip: internal rooms dark and quiet
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your review and to award us five stars. We do work hard to ensure our rates are competitive, you mentioned that you booked through the website, which is always the best rate guaranteed.
We look forward to your return in the future.
Blackburn, England
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I booked this hotel the night before staying, that doesn't mean it's a bad hotel I had plenty of other options. The hotel could be easily missed because the entrance to the hotel is between shops. A warm welcome from reception, who had just helped 2 Aussies with info and maps of the area. My room, 306, had a view of the gardens and Portland St, 2 single beds, plenty of storage, en-suite bathroom, LCD TV about 26" with freeview and stuff for brews. Double glazed windows kept most of the traffic noise out but seeing as I knew the area I had no problems. No comments on breakfast, although I'm sure they make a good breakfast, at nearly £9 for a full English I knew places that served good food for half that price. Overall a good hotel with buses on the doorstep and the train stations about 10 mins walk.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Wow a five star review, many thanks for taking the time to post your comments following your recent stay and it is nice to know that you enjoyed your stay. Our head office are aware that the signage needs reviewing and this is something we are looking into. I will pass on your feedback to the reception team as they do work hard to make a good impression.