“Decent, No Frills!”
Review of Gardens Hotel

Gardens Hotel
Ranked #72 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Had to spend a few lonely days around Christmas and I needed a cheap accommodation in a safe hotel and I got exactly that! Small cosy room with a spacious bathroom. Good wifi, tv etc. The person at the front desk was very friendly. There was no housekeeping or room service due to the holiday season, but cant complain.
Location is excellent..short walk away from the metrolink station, train station & the main city centre area.
Breakfast was average, dont know why few people have raved about it.
Overall, no complaints.

Room Tip: Dont expect anything fancy.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Katy A, General Manager at Gardens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Thanks for taking the time to post your review following your stay at the hotel. The festive period is the only time when housekeeping services are limited, I am glad that this did not deter from an enjoyable stay.

There are newer reviews for Gardens Hotel

Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

I was visiting Manchester to spend an evening out with friends and wanted a cheap, simple hotel to just get a good nights rest before getting the train in the morning.

The cheapest we could find was an internal room at the Gardens for £100 which reflects how expensive Manchester has got at weekends.

Our only needs were a decent bed and a shower in the morning, sadly the hotel only met one of these. The shower worked by running the taps and flicking a switch to turn the shower on. Despite 20 minutes of effort neither of us could produce a steady stream of warm water leaving us frustrated and smelly for the journey home.

So for £100 we got a basic, dimly lit room with a malfunctioning shower.

Also, to any Manchester United fans looking at this hotel - IF YOURE STAYING IN A HOTEL FOR A HOME GAME YOURE SUPPORTING THE WRONG TEAM.

Have a look at your local paper I'm sure there will be a football team there you can support for considerably less expense.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Katy A, General Manager at Gardens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

It is always disappointing to receive poor feedback and only one star, following a guests stay at the hotel. I am sorry you experienced problems with your shower and that this contributed to a less than enjoyable stay at the hotel.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

This is the 4th time I have stayed at The Gardens. As always we were greeted with a warm welcome. The room we received was a large twin on the front of the hotel with comfy beds and all the comforts of home.
I understand why hotels use small cartons of UHT milk, but on request we were given a jug of fresh milk from the kitchen with no bother at all.
We went out to the theatre that evening.
So the next morning, we had an English breakfast, plus fruit, yoghurt, toast and jam. Set us up for the day ahead.
I have always found the staff in all departments to be friendly and very helpful.
I will always use this hotel, when I am in Manchester. I've already booked my next visit in November.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Good Morning and thank you for your review, It is always nice to know that we have guests who keep on returning and staying at the Gardens during a visit to Manchester. Your favourable comments will be circulated amongst the staff and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Having booked the room and requested a "disabled access room if possible" we were somewhat put out to find that the hotel has no wheelchair access. With my limited mobility I was able to negotiate the steps into the property, while members of staff carried my powerchair up the steps. The manager was most apologetic and discounted our stay by way of apology. We were then allocated Room 101 - were they trying to tell us something? :-)
The staff was generally appreciative and accommodating of my needs, friendly and welcoming. The hotel was clean and presentable and offered good value for money, being close to the main railway station yet located in the city centre. It is close to the major shopping areas and has a taxi rank outside the front door.
The room decor was subtle and the lighting subdued. There was no central light in the room and an absence, as far as we could make out, of lighting by which my wife could apply make-up or by which one might do paperwork. Maybe it's there and we just couldn't find it. An extra pillow or two would have made sleep more comfortable, but it was late and we didn't bother to ask whether they could be provided, which I am certain they would have been.
The hotel has business facilities in the reception area and WiFi to accommodate most business users.
The breakfast was good, with a decent range of meats, cheeses, jams, and pastries for the Continental breakfast, a vegetarian choice and a freshly prepared Full English delivered to the table to order in a timely manner.
All in all, The Gardens Hotel is good value for money, offers a friendly and welcoming atmosphere and, when I no longer need the powerchair, will be high on my list of hotels to consider when I am in Manchester.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Katy A, General Manager at Gardens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Good Morning and thank you for taking the time to post your review, I am so sorry that you encountered problems with the lack of disabled access, as there are steps into the building we do not advertise this, but I will ensure that the websites and booking agent sites are checked and that this is not on by mistake and has been overlooked. The staff do work hard to try and ensure our guests are happy and it is nice for this to be recognised. We are looking to review the lighting levels within the rooms as this has been mentioned previously. We can provide extra pillows for guests and this is noted in the guest information within the rooms, sorry that you did not see this. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

We found this hotel a couple of days before our stay. We visit Manchester a lot, and have never noticed this hotel. It is right on Piccadilly, and from outside you would never know it was there. Once you walked in, it was lovely, and you couldn't believe it. Our room was nice, and the staff were very friendly. The breakfast was brilliant too.

Would stay here again, and would recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JoanneWBolton

Thanks for the comments, so many people walk past us as the entrance to the hotel gets missed being in a row of shops and we are looking at ways to increase our visability. I will pass on your favourable remarks to the staff and also the chef responsible for the good breakfast. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Couple of lads on a night out so wanted something in town. Had one of the rooms with no windows as cheaper. Not my fav. room but did the job. Just enough room, clean bathroom needs updating but breakfast was good.

Room Tip: Don't have room with no window very strange and very warm
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Thanks for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at the hotel. Our Internal rooms are really good value if you need somewhere low cost to stay, we are in the process of updating rooms but this does take time. I am pleased that you enjoyed your breakfast.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Arguably the most inexpensive hotel, the centre of Manchester yet it competes with some of the other more expensive hotels in the area. It's location is it's strength. Very central allowing walking distance to almost anywhere in Manchester. Rooms are clean to a high standard. Staff at the desk are friendly and always willing to help.

I've been coming to this hotel for close to 8 years and it has never let me down.

Room Tip: Avoid some of the internal rooms. One of the rooms I stayed in had no windows. Awful during the sum...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Katy A, General Manager at Gardens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Thanks for posting your comments, it is always nice to get feedback from our repeat guests and to know that we are still doing things right.