“No Frills But Functional Hotel”
Review of Gardens Hotel

Gardens Hotel
Ranked #67 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
eastbourne
“No Frills But Functional Hotel”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Stayed here for two nights last week. Basic hotel and bit tired and need of decoration generally. Clean though which was more important. Breakfast absolutely fine; waiters arent what you would call dynamic but hey-ho the food arrives hot and swiftly. A tad concerning that the hotel recommends using a local multi-storey car park that the night receptionist has no idea where it is or seemed to understand English. Hotel could not be more central in terms of location. If you want somewhere inexpensive yet basic and dont want to interract with the non-smiling or chatty staff this is for you.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Katy A, General Manager at Gardens Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Good Morning
Thanks for your review and for bringing to my attention the fact that the staff at night didn't know where the car park is situated. I will ensure that this is rectified as soon as possible. We do have foreign staff working at the hotel on the reception and as a whole their English speaking and understanding is very good so I apologise if you felt that they didn't cater to your needs.
It is important for the staff to make a good impression on guests.
We hope to see you again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Swansea, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We stayed the weekend in Manchester, the hotel was just down the street from the Piccadilly train station and was in walking distance of the Randall centre,china town,phones4u arena and the football museum amongst other things.
Comfortable rooms, nice staff and they held our case all day for free ax we weren't leaving until the evening
Would definitely return

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Katy A, General Manager at Gardens Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Hello and thank you for posting a review following your recent stay at the hotel, we have to agree that our location is great, with easy access to lots of things. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
newcastle under lyme , uk
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Have stayed here twice in May and very impressed with everything , a 12 o'clock check out would be nice rather than 11 but I guess it made us get up and make the most of the day ! Will definitely stay again when we come to manchester :-)

• Stayed May 2014
Katy A, General Manager at Gardens Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Thanks to you for giving us 5 stars following your recent stay at the hotel, we do have a late departure service where you can pay to extend and leave up to 6pm or we can keep baggage in the office for a future visit maybe this will be of use to you.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

On my way up to Glasgow from london, decided to stop off for a bit in Manchester , booked online ,just a short walk from rail station, that suited me, great location, plenty of bars shops , friendly welcome , all staff helpful and pleasant , room is clean, comfortable and got everything you need for a good stay, good to know there is somewhere really good, first hotel on my list the next time I visit manchester. Thanks

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Katy A, General Manager at Gardens Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Hello and thanks for your review and for awarding us five stars, it is always nice to know that we are working hard to ensure that our guests are happy. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed here as was seeing a concert at the Apollo. The location is perfect for the centre of Manchester. Just a short walk from Piccadilly Station, right in the city centre.
Check-in was fine, paid and got my room key, was served quickly.

The decor for me seemed very out of date, I would describe it as granny-style. I had a single room and the bed was tiny. I did at times feel like I might fall out the bed (I didn't though!). The room was spacious enough, there was a desk and a sideboard with kettle and coffee and tea. The walls were very thin, in the morning I could hear people in the next door's bathroom, I slept undisturbed though. The bathroom was a little difficult to move around in as the door opened right into it and it was hard to move around it. The shower had good pressure though, a lot better than I was expecting. The guy who checked me out was very friendly and efficient. For the price it was okay, I just needed somewhere to sleep, I've stayed in much better places for the money though.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Katy A, General Manager at Gardens Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Good Morning and thanks for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay with us. Concerning the décor, we are working through a redecoration programme. In our single rooms the beds are standard UK sizes, we do only have a few single rooms, so unless really busy we do try and upgrade people into a double or twin room for more space.
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night place very roomy downstairs, breakfast very nice. Room fulfilled the requirement only thing wrong was the skylight dirty but can live with that. Very good staff and fantastic location fir the centre of Manchester and very close to train station. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank ktjz
Good Morning
Thanks for your review following your recent visit, we only have a few rooms with skylights and these have a dark frosted coating on the windows to diffuse the light and to keep the room dark. Your nice comments will be forwarded onto the staff who do work hard. hopefully we will see you again shortly.
NEW YORK
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed in two different rooms over the holiday weekend, separated by a couple of days. I'd found a sub-£40/night price on a hotel website and as I traveled alone, I had no need to impress. Front desk was very helpful and speedy, even letting me check in before 10am and accommodating a bag in storage while I was traveling elsewhere.

The rooms were similar, except once I had a shower, once a full bath. The decor certainly could use updating, but then you'd be paying more, too. Single bed (at that price) was in good shape, a desk and television provided, plenty of power outlets everywhere. Showers were not intuitive for a non-native, and the water pressure in the sink was less than optimal (both rooms). There didn't appear to be temperature control, so it felt rather stuffy in the room.

The hotel is just a few minutes' walk from Piccadilly station, and the street is well-traveled. There's a Wetherspoons two doors down, and if you need a free phone, why, there's no shortage of folks hawking them. Plenty of better pubs within easy walking distance, though your quality eating options are somewhat limited nearby. Close view of the massive Ferris wheel, too. Though I was oblivious to their existence, apparently there's been an issue with ladies of the evening in the area attempting to use the Gardens' services, of which they do not approve.

Over all, of course things could be improved, but at this price, it's not a priority. Everything I needed was there, I felt safe, and proximity to the train helped tremendously. I'd stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a full bath instead of the shower-only.