“Brief but Pleasant Stay”

Crowne Plaza Manchester Airport
Ranked #40 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Calgary
“Brief but Pleasant Stay”
Reviewed 28 May 2008

We only stayed one night here and cannot compare to other hotels at the airport nor to other Crowne Plazas. In comparing to other North American hotels, the facility was rather average. We chose it for airport convenience and because we got a VERY good rate (65% of most posted rates) by paying in advance through the hotel website.

Checking in was quick and easy. The room was clean comfortable and complete with quality amenities and toiletries. Our room location was towards the back of the hotel where there was neither bar nor airport noise. We did not eat here due to our brief stay so cannot comment on that.

We did not bother with the shuttle service. With wheeled luggage, a short 10 minute walk is all it took to get to Terminal One. This was for us easier than struggling with luggage on and off the shuttle.

Overall there did not appear to be any reason to not recommend this place.

• Liked — Convenience
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PoPTraveller

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (462)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Thai first
Derbyshire, UK
Reviewed 2 May 2008

This review will be somewhat biased, however, for the right reasons.

I'm a fairly hardened hotel client, who purchased this stay on his priority club points and normally spends 200+ nights away in a hotel a year, so I've stayed with the good, bad and ugly.

This stay included my Wife and 3 yr old Son, so I emailed ahead to get the sofa bed made up. Check-in took 30 second using the prioirity club area and we were off to our room.

The room itself was spacious enough for the 3 of us, had all of the facilities I'd require on business or pleasure and a more than ample stocked bathroom. We dined in Sampans restaurant and although the bill was extremely high, the food and service could not be faulted, with our 3 yr old Son not complaining about the food once, which is testiment itself!!!

After a good nights sleep, we woke at 3:30am for our flight. I checked the bill both online and via the invoice that had been posted, noting no issues, so used the speedy check-out, which saved us a good 15 minutes queue and meant we could use the complimentary shuttle service before everyine else who seemed to be travelling to the same terminal.

Now the HORROR story..... Our Son, who was surgically attached to his toy cow called "moo", realised at 37000 feet that "moo" was still tucked away in the hotel bed!!!!! argh. On our arrival to the airport, I contacted the hotel via priority club and managed to speak to an extremely helpful member of staff. I explained our dilema and described moo. 20 minutes later I received a call to say that Moo had been rounded up, herded into the business centre and was ready for transporting back to us. He has since been sent out via a milk carton (great sense of humour!!!) and is now happily reunited with our Son :-)

So, I have nothing but praise for the Crowne Plaza and feel very happy that we decided to stay with them and their extended customer service.

• Liked — The staff and their assistance both during and after our stay
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank goatiegadget
Renfrewshire
Reviewed 18 April 2008

Stayed here one night before travelling to the USA. I have stayed in Bewley's next door often on business and thought this would be a bit of a treat as it is more expensive and has a higher rating. I wish I had gone to Bewleys again. The rooms here are tiny, no room to move at all. Check in was awful - the guy couldn't understand anything we said and no one in the line had a smooth experience as the credit card machine did not appear to be working. Breakfast was probably the worst ever and I stay in hotels at least 100 nights per year. They served only diluted squash which was vile, the salmon had gone hard round the edges and everything was greasy and overcooked i.e. scrambled eggs like rubber. The coffee was particularly bad. The only pass mark would be the bar attached which opens at night time, half decent food and service there. For a better price go to Bewleys next door it is far superior. I have stayed in several Crown Plaza's before and this is inferior to the others in every way.

• Liked — Convenience to the airport
  • Disliked — Breakfast and room size
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank Mary1967
ulverston
Reviewed 17 April 2008

Skiing trip March 2008 meant being at Ringway 4am so a night before stop over was essential. Booked room only using Priority pointi had easily on site.
Arrived 7:30 at railway station and phoned for shuttle mini bus, arrived 5 mins later and by 7:45 we were checked in. Lovely twin room clean and with all usual facilities, again corridors are dower.
Quick change and down to Sampans for evening meal, excellent attentive staff and lovely fragerent food. not too pricey!
Bed by 10 and up early 3:30, check out fast and minbus ready to take us to airport.
A stress free start to our holiday.

Stayed March 2008
1 Thank cockerhoop
Singapore
Reviewed 14 March 2008

I have seen the reviews that was written about this hotel and felt that I should write my experience here even though it has been two years since I have stayed in this hotel.
I encountered the same problem as some of the reviewers. When I first reached the airport there supposedly should have their shuttle bus waiting to transfer my husband and I to the hotel, however, it did not arrived. When we called the hotel using the telephone given in the airport, the hotel sent us a car to transport us there. The driver was a very nice and funny guy in his mid-forties I would say. Though the journey was short, we had a wonderful time chatting with him. This is an Excellent customer service.
When we reached the hotel and about to check in, the counter staff told us that we have not paid for our room charges (which we already have) and wanted us to pay for it again. I was rather upset and angry probably due to waking up too early that day to go to the hotel as I have already checked out of my university hall. He saw that I was frustrated and puzzled, he asked his manager to help him check. Only to discover that I had booked the room twice (due to the connection of my computer in my uni. hall) as I thought my first booking didn't go through.
Unexpectedly, the manager refunded us a night or two stay (coz we book for three or four nights) in the hotel. Probably because he took pity in us as we looked really really tired, which we were. We ended up only paying for a night or two out of the three to four nights stay. He even sent someone to bring our luggages to our room and sent a complimentary fruit basket as well.
Throughout the stay, we had a wonderful time and managed to freshen up and getting ready to take off back to Singapore permanently.
On the last day when we checked out, though we had a different driver, he was equally chippy and wonderful and he was in his early-twenties.
Oh before I forgot, the most important thing is my husband and I left our souvenirs in the hotel room and only thought of it when we were on the plane. But, again, the hotel was kind enough to check our Singapore address and SENT them back to us FOC. :) Guess you couldn't get any better service anywhere else. :)
As I have read from newspapers and other trip advisors that some say UK having racists issue. I certainly DISAGREE. Both my husband and I are a commonwealth asians and were students when we went over. I can't recall any single issue or meeting anyone who is racist. They are wonderful people and my husband and I would really love to go back again. And of course, to stay in Crowne Plaza again.

• Liked — Everything about the hotel
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed December 2005, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ElizabethSingapore30
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2008

This hotel is a short walk from terminal 1 & 3 and this is what you are paying for.
The refurb was still ongoing when I stayed & it does seem to be needed. The hotel is clean enough it is just a little tired, particularly in the corridors.
The rooms are comfortable & more than adequate for a stay before or after a flight. There is a large beautifully clean bathroom with good quality toiletries. Plenty of tea/coffee/chocolate/biscuits are supplied for a quick cuppa.
The food is expensive, but half price breakfasts were on offer during my stay.
I stayed at the next door Bewleys hotel recently & must say that although the bedrooms were smaller, all in all I preferred the Crowne Plaza
It is just very convenient for the airport & it just boils down to how much you are willing to pay for the convenience.

• Liked — Airport Location
  • Disliked — Cost
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled solo
3 Thank angwri
daventry northants
Reviewed 7 March 2008

We had a nice overnight stay at this hotel. The room was very nice and clean. We ate in the Irish pub and although very dear the food and service was very good. The reception staff were very good and the hotel courtesy bus that picked us up from Station and took us to Terminal to check in for our flight was a bonus. They were doing some alterations to the hotel when we were there, but did not cause us any problems. The hotel left me a little bear because of any inconvenience caused. I thought that was such a lovely touch and i have called my new teddy "floppy legs". For an overnight stay to catch a flight for your holidays i cannot fault this hotel.

• Liked — so close to airport
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dumblonde51
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,871 reviews
Holiday Inn Express Manchester Airport
Premier Inn Manchester Airport (M56/J6) Runger Lane North
Manchester Airport Marriott Hotel

Been to Crowne Plaza Manchester Airport? Share your experiences!