“Good hotel but God forbid if you dare to complain !”

Crowne Plaza Manchester Airport
Ranked #40 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
London
“Good hotel but God forbid if you dare to complain !”
Reviewed 1 May 2009

I stayed at this hotel for one night whilst at the airport on business. The general standard of room was good, but the bathroom was a bit grotty looking - mildew in the corners of the shower and no lid on the wc. What was unforgiveable was the unemptied bin containing used condoms.
On checking out the following morning, there was a long queue at the desk and I was pushed for time, so I decided to contact the hotel by email to advise of the problem.
After emailing several times, I finally received a standard response, offering me $40 of vouchers - not what I was looking for at all, but I appreciated the gesture. I emailed back and explained that as I was a UK passenger, I would prefer Sterling - this is not possible - $ or nothing. No movement on this - take it or leave it.
What is a shame is that I was never looking for a comp payment - and by giving me a payment which seemed flippant and without thought, they managed to annoy me more !

2 Thank NSWUK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (462)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Thai first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2009

So long as you go to this hotel bearing in mind what it is - An airport hotel, you'll be absolutely fine (not sure what some people on here expect from a quick overnight stay at an airport for little more than the cost of the parking fee!). The Asian restaurant is exceptional and the two course special for £15 a head is a good deal. If you get the chance to take the cooked breakfast, do - It was as good as any I've had at an airport hotel. Yes, the bar prices are a little on the high side, but this seems to be the norm. for airport hotels worldwide. As an airport hotel, it's functional without whistles and bells but I though it was good value for money.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank UncleBulgaria15
Cumbria
Reviewed 1 May 2009

On initial view the hotel is all the brochures and advertising suggest. The initial booking in procedure is smooth, efficient, and totally geared to upgrading with the minimum of information from reception to guest.

The rooms, are excellent, clean, neat and all that can be expected. The bars and restaurants if not extortionate are very close to it. An upgrade to a junior club room privides you with "free soft drinks", a.k.a. a bottle of water.

15 days later on return from avery good holiday and landing at terminal two, I phoned the given number 4090. The recpetionist said" Go out of the airport into the multi story car park and turn left you will see a sign saying Hotel Buses". I repeated the instructions to the receptionist and was happy that I understood the route. I did as followed and after walking over a hundred yards, I spotted a sign saying hotel busses. We crossed to the place and waited. We landed at 2010hrs and phoned at 2035hrs. it was then getting dark,I had no other number to contact apart from an 0870 number which I continuously rang without it ever being answered. I could not leave my stranded in a strange car park whilst I went back to the courtesy phone, at around 2050hrs drivers from both the Hilton & Bewleys Hotel spotted us and asked if he could help. The Hilton driver contacted Crown Plaza on a number he had, they said they would resend the bus.

The bus came around 2115hrs, we had waited around 45 minutes in the freezing cold. When I complained at the reception,an unmoveable grey haired female receptionist said, "when I tell people, I always may sure they understand where to go". My reply was yes but I didnt speak to you,I spoke to someone who didnt know where they were sending someone, your invoice also fails to provide a phone number whereby they can contact the hotel reception, "well I cant do any thing about that' she replied, and to cap it all my car was parked as far away as was phyically practical, not what I expected after a five hour flight and a three hour journey in front of me. Next time the Bewleys or the Hilton, never again the Crown Plaza, There's more to being a successful hotel than photo's and high prices, and whatever it is Crown Plaza havent got it, they need to totally reassess their customer needs and requirements and the attitude of the reception rew towards clients.

In the restaurant on the night prior to our departure we ordered executive sandwiches at around eight pound each, my wife said she would have the corn fed chicken and whatever on a triangular piece of wheaten bread, I selected the home cured ham and salad in a cob. The waitress came over took our order and said so thats it one ham and one chicken sandwich then. 16 pounds for one ham and one chicken sandwich, please.

Final note;
A waiter in Lanzarote said to me after another english customer was wrong and abusive and I apologised on his behalf, Senor, the customer is always right, regrettably even when they are wrong, that is the nature of our business.

This is a policy that perhaps Crown Plaza should at least try to understand. The customer,especially when he has been let down or ill treated is most definitely always King.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Workington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2009

On a recent overnight stay at the Crown Plaza airport hotel I was recommended by a friend to use the hotels restaurant, but on our arrival we noticed that there was an Asian restaurant directly opposite the reception and after checking in I asked a member of staff which one I should choose, he said without hesitation that the Asian was his favourite so we tried it and without doubt I can say it was one of the best Asian food experiences I've had in this country, well done Crowne Plaza for trying something different. The hotel itself was a typical Crowne Plaza airport property but the Asian restaurant is certainly untypical.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Morecambe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2009

Beware the system for leaving your car at Crown Plaza has changed.
After check in you have to move your car to the long stay car park next door (no problem)
The problem is when you return and arrive at Terminal 2.
There is NO pick up point at Terminal 2 for the long stay car park and you are requested to use the Sky Link to Terminal 1
This is a very long way along the Sky Link even if you are lucky and the travelators are all working.
We are going to use Bewleys Hotel next time

1 Thank MalcolmandJudith
Staffordshire
Reviewed 4 April 2009

This was our third stay at Crown Plaza Manchester Airport on their park and fly 15 day package. It was to be our last.

Unfortunately, the standard of service we encountered on this occasion had declined from that of the previous two visits. In addition to this, one event that occurred has left a very sour feeling towards this hotel, I will come on to that later.

The check in was ok at best, mainly because there was no queue so I was able to book in immediately. Lacklustre and not interested is how I describe the staff member on our initial contact.

I enquired about a late check out due to my flight not being till late afternoon the following day. This was not available at present I would have to ask in the morning. Moments later, it was recognised (through no prompt of my own) that I was a Priority Club Member and a late check out was now available.

The additional day parking on the 15 day park and fly I required had not been recorded. At the point of booking I had informed the booking agent that I required 16 days parking and it was noted so that the car park pass could be altered accordingly. I was wise enough to enquire as I had a feeling that the pre-paid ticket wouldn’t have been altered, I was right, only 15 days pre-paid parking had been allotted to the ticket. The lady on reception went behind the scenes, came back and said that the additional day had been added and everything was now in order. Yeah ok, I thought. Not convinced. I asked on a further two occasions (before I left the hotel to go on holiday) for them to confirm that the error had been corrected. They assured me it was.

Skipping forward briefly to my return… after an 11.5hr flight, you would like the concierge to pick you as previous. This doesn’t happen anymore. I had to get ourselves and our luggage from Terminal 2 to Terminal 3 to hop on a bus to take me back to the long stay T1&T3 car park next to Crown Plaza where I had to park my car shortly after arrival at the Crown Plaza. Sod that I thought, I’m getting a taxi as I just want to get in my car and get on my way. Right then, back at the car, loaded the luggage, pulled up at the exit barrier, inserted my pre-paid ticket and yep, you’ve guessed it, the additional day hadn’t been added on! It wouldn’t let me out. I had to reverse my car from the exit barrier, park up and stomped off to Crowne Plaza to sort the issue. Eventually, after a 15 minute wait and a few choice words in their reception I was back in my car and on my way home.

A bit about the room.

The room we were allocated was spacious had been painted / emulsion recently and was moderately furnished. For an over night stay the room is more than adequate and proved to be comfortable for our stay.

The bathroom was clean but there was evidence of over use from the years but nothing to concern potential customers at this hotel. Again, like the main room the bathroom is more than adequate for an over night stay.

The drink and food prices are extortionate! A pint of Stella and a small rose wine came to £9.80. We didn’t eat at the hotel, we went to a nearby pub called The Honey Bee in Wilmslow and had a good quality meal and drinks for a good price.
I recommend it to anybody who wants to eat off site, a few miles away (five minute drive or taxi £7 each way)

Now, the sour taste I mentioned. Some will read this and say it’s your own fault, but accidents do happen and things do get overlooked. We managed to leave an Ipod video 80gig on the bed in the room when we checked out. 100% categorically left on the bed, with no doubts in either my partner’s or my mind. (I had taken the Ipod out of our overnight bag so it could put it my partner’s hand luggage ready for the flight) We realised we had left the ipod in the room when we were in the air! Couldn’t do much about it at that point in time but as soon as we landed, I text a family member giving room details, booking reference and all that so that they could enquire.

The Ipod hadn’t been handing in, no surprise really. All I can say is there is a dishonest member of staff, who could rightfully be labelled a thief cleaning rooms at this hotel. Disappointed but like I said not surprised with the outcome. A further example of the type of person that is becoming more and more regular in this country! I also enquired about this loss / theft firmly but fairly when I had to go and sort the car park debacle out upon my return! To no avail, but the hotel manager was in no uncertain terms briefed on my thoughts of this hotel and the particular member of staff who attended to our room following us checking out.

Next time we fly from Manchester Airport and require a park and fly package we will be choosing a different hotel.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravellersTune
New York
Reviewed 2 April 2009

I think my ratings say it all. This hotel is extremely . . . average. Which is to say there is nothing bad about the hotel. I stayed one night before flying out of Manchester Airport. This hotel was a good value. And I would recommend the hotel to anyone looking to stay close to the airport without maxing out your credit card.

On the plus side, there was ample restaurant and bar/lounge space. Which is good because the hotel was quite crowded with travelers. The beer was cold and delivered quickly. And I was pleased to have a diverse food menu available at the bar. There's an Irish Pub too that I didn't patronize.

Not much to say about the room except it had a very odd toilet that only flushed on every other pull of the lever. It was strange but otherwise unremarkable.

Last point, for those looking to use the shuttle service. Leave early. Leave early. Leave early. The hotel was very crowded and there was a loooong queue for the shuttle.

While I was comfortable and well fed, I think I'll pony up some more cash and stay at the Radisson SAS. You can take the moving walkway directly into terminal 2. And if you're in a hurry to catch a flight, that's very valuable.

1 Thank PhiPsi32
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,871 reviews
Holiday Inn Express Manchester Airport
Premier Inn Manchester Airport (M56/J6) Runger Lane North
Manchester Airport Marriott Hotel

Been to Crowne Plaza Manchester Airport? Share your experiences!