“Perfect stopover for next day flight”

Crowne Plaza Manchester Airport
Ranked #40 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
New York City, New York
“Perfect stopover for next day flight”
Reviewed 29 September 2010

I stayed here for one night with my daughter. It was great, they picked us up from the airport with just one quick free phone call. The room was comfortable, clean and modern. The hotel staff was beyond helpful. Anything I asked for was answered or taken care of right away. They asked us to make reservations for dinner when we checked in, which we did, but then decided to stay in our room for room service and a movie. We ordered from there Asian restaurant and the Shrip Pad Thai was fantastic. We left early the next morning and the shuttle was waiting for us in the front lobby. Overall way more than I was expecting from a hotel by the airport.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (462)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Thai first
Sheffield, England
Reviewed 28 September 2010

I have stopped at the Crowne Plaza on several occasions and have always found the rooms and service at this hotel to be great. We arrived on 8th Septemer, having booked the stay and park for 15 nights, getting a great deal for £79.00

Checking in was as fast and efficient as always, the staff pleasant and helpful. The room was small but clean and comfortable. We ate at Sampans restaurant on site, the meal was really nice but a little on the pricey side, which is to be expected in hotel restaurants.

On going to bed, we found that we could hear the planes taking off, something that we had not heard on our previous stays. I'm a heavy sleeper so this didnt bother me but I cant say the same for a light sleeper. The next day we caught the shuttle bus across to the airport with no problems and again no problems on our return. Unfortunately on arrival at the hotel to pick up our car, they had misplaced our car keys which after a nine hour flight is not what you want to hear. After a half an hour search they were eventually found, filed under a completely different surname. What surprised me is that we were offered no apology by the person on the reception. Would I stop at this hotel again.. yes but only if I got a good deal.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2010

Just 'Ok' it you close your eyes and ignore the obvious flaws of this hotel and all you need is a place to lay your head.

Bedrooms have gone downhill since my last stay. The room was smaller than a Travelodge or Holiday Inn Express and had a smelly shower curtain, fixed shower head, dirty literature and room had a funny smell of body odour left from the previous guest.

General lack of care and attention from housekeeping (very dusty and missing bedthrow) and a quick lick of paint does not hide the fact that this hotel is a tired Posthouse trying to live off the Crowne Plaza name (the City Centre one is so much better).

We went for breakfast at 10.30am (restaurant empty) on the first morning. We had to help ourselves to coffee mugs as the table had not been sent properly. Choice of breakfast was fine and serivce was ok if you like the breakfast supervisor shouting across the restaurant to see if you were enjoying your food.

Breakfast on the second morning was terrible - again the place was quiet and the 'loud supervisor' was not on duty. Staff were talking the whole time to a family with a young child that was having breakfast (quite clearly an employee of the hotel) and everyone else was ignored. Staff just helping themselves to sausage baps and just forget about the guests. No management around, no bacon, no hash browns, no fried eggs, no crossaints, no yoghurt, no bread, no plates....no breakfast really! Waited for ages to sign breakfast to my bedroom but no one around to help so enjoyed a 'free' breakfast 'free' of food!

Long queues at Reception with porters / shuttle bus drivers and management in new suits just ignoring the guests as they pass from the Reception into the back of house areas. Hotel full of queue jumpers - no system at Reception. Joshy on Reception stayed calm while guests jumped the queue and tried to 'jump' other guests that were already being served. Car Park payment machine out of order so you have to join the huge queue every time you want to leave the car park. Receptionist at check out 'on auto pilot' thought I was an airline crew member and messed up the final bill.

After my last stay and the refurbishment this hotel had improved but sadly the place has gone downhill. If all you want is a room with no breakfast then it is ok but if you are looking for more then give it a miss.

• Stayed September 2010
west yorkshire
Reviewed 21 September 2010

In short, One woman on reception a bit slack, other two excellent. Room ok on the second floor. Bar and bar food ok .Didn't go in the Irish pub.

No milk for coffee in room. Rang house keeping for milk, none appeared so went searching for room cleaner to get milk.

Not much sound proofing, could hear planes landing at 2am. The stuff you put on the pillows made me cough all night..

English breakfast perfect and very fresh. A bargin at £9.

Hotel airport bus perfect bothways.

Cost less than £90 and 15 days parking.

I think good value for money, 15 days parking included.

Would use the hotel again but not the pillow stuff

Rated7/10

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank degsy49
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2010

The hotel is clean and convenient. There ends the good bits. A 15 min wait at breakfast to get a table!!!. Yes 15n mins in a queue to be shown a table. The lone person managing the queue is all action but no output. She even pulls groups of people from the back of the queue only because a table for 4 became free. I am at the front, eating alone, as are a majority of the people in the queue and we dont mind sitting with each other for our breakfast. It was incredibly annoying. The hotel knows it is full so should have more tables and staff for breakfast duty. As usual half of the food stuff wasnt there and the tea and coffee came after a long wait. I got my own cutlery from the staff area. The fried egg was slow cooking on a sea of oil on a hot plate set at the lowest heat setting. Incredible. For heavens sake just make the tea and coffee as self serving. Just set the table and we will find our own places as we do in all other hotels.

My room was twin single beds and comfortable. The bathroom was a bit odd. the towel rack was above the toilet. Pull one towel and the rest fall into the toilet after crashing through all the toiletries (soaps, shampoo etc) stacked below it. Maddeningly stupid.

TV is the large behemoth of yester years. All in all Ok for a single nights stay, anymore and you will tear your hair out at breakfast time. Beds are comfortable.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
sheffield
Reviewed 17 September 2010

My partner and I have stayed at this hotel 4 times now as a stop over before our flight.
I have always found the rooms to be clean and most of the staff friendly and helpful. The airport transfer and parking is the main reason we stay. It makes life so much easier.

I must say however that I do not find the restaurants and bar value for money at all. I appreciate that as a guest at the hotel you are a captive market and not likely to venture far from the hotel for meals etc. Due to this I would expect prices to be over-inflated but I think the prices are far too high to reflect any kind of value whatsoever as my partner and I didn't find anything enjoyable about the food we were served.

We have now dined in all the restaurants here and find none of them to be worth the amount of money charged. If they insist on charging high prices, the food they serve should be worth it. In my opinion it clearly is not.

Lancashire
Reviewed 16 September 2010

We booked a one night stay package bed/breakfast. The room was so small, the air con did not work, it was extremely hot, if you opened the windows the noise was terrible not just from the planes. Reception very cool, breakfast one person only serving, food on tap from 4am just lying there. Had to ask for plates. Will never stay there again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,871 reviews
Holiday Inn Express Manchester Airport
Premier Inn Manchester Airport (M56/J6) Runger Lane North
Manchester Airport Marriott Hotel

Been to Crowne Plaza Manchester Airport? Share your experiences!