“GOOD FOR AN OVERNIGHT STAY” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Manchester Airport

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Hilton Manchester Airport
Ranked #58 of 115 Hotels in Manchester
Newcastle
“GOOD FOR AN OVERNIGHT STAY”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2012

Stayed one night on B+B before an early morning flight. The free shuttle bus to and from the airport terminal was fast and efficient and ran at very regular intervals. Reception check in was quick, friendly and smooth and I was in my bedroom within 5 minutes of entering the hotel.

I had a standard king size room which was as expected based on website photos. Nice decor, good facilities and very clean. I didn't eat in the restaurant that evening but based on the room service menu, food and drink was very pricey with no alternative venues apart from other hotels or the fast food outlets back at the airport.

Negatives I encountered were the fact that the king size bed was made up of 2 smaller matresses placed side by side so I couldn't sleep in the middle of the bed which I prefer, the pillows were quite lumpy, and a couple of families staying in the same location as my room kept me a wake late at night as the kids were going between their rooms, knocking on the doors and shouting 'room service' which they thought was amusing and the parents made no effort to stop them.

Perhaps the biggest negative was breakfast at the hotel - I had paid for full breakfast but due to my early flight departure time, a continental breakfast was only availabe at 5.30am. Although there was a good choice of cold buffet items, there was no coffee or tea available for guests to help themselves to and the couple of staff on duty who were setting up the hot items for the later breakfast guests payed no attention to the guests who were eating at that time. As a result I did not have a hot drink until after I had checked in at the airport. I don't think this is acceptable from a 4* Hilton hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

I have stayed at this Hilton three times in the last four months. I completed an online survey after each stay and my feedback prompted a e-mails from the Hotel Manager. My main complaints were around the poor standard of cleaning, particularly in the Bathrooms, dirt around the taps, the bath waste and the tile grout. Generally the bathrooms are below par from a design and style point of view, but the bedrooms are actually ok. On my following stays I saw a dramatic improvement, the management certainly take feedback seriously, which is a very positive thing. The frustration about hotels like this is that obviously someone has spent quite a bit of money equipping the rooms, but that person was not an interior designer, the result being an expensive mess, well it is ok... but could be so much better for the same cost if some thought had been put into the design. Good design costs nothing, so why not do it? It would add so much to the experience.
Anyway what I have noticed on my subsequent stays is quite an improvement in the standard of house keeping, so the management really have to be commended for their efforts. Currently the bar and resturant area is undergoing refurbishment, but this refurbishment is not visible to the guests. In summary.... If you need a bed for the night for a red eye flight in the morning or after a business conference then this hotel is now ok, but if you want somewhere to treat the other half, then make your way promptly to the Hilton on Deansgate, because Deansgate is most definitely the best hotel in Manchester and well worth the extra cost. I've marked down the review down as poor as the hotel does not yet meet the expectation that the Conrad Hilton name sets.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GM_HiltonMA, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Manchester Airport, responded to this review, 26 January 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your very frank, honest and balanced comments. You are quite right, we do listen to our guests and will always strive to improve upon a situation as quickly as possible where we can.

We are just about to commence a refurbishment of our older rooms which will alleviate the issues that you have encountered. It is also very good to read your commendation of management, we have an experienced and reactive team here who hold the dream and ethos of Conrad dear. I believe that Conrad would most certainly have approved of the numerous refurbishments that we are currently experiencing. As written in a previous response, our brand new and exciting restaurant called Mason's will be opening shortly, we have refurbished the lobby areas and are starting on the bedrooms.

I am a bit of a loss to know what to say about design of the rooms. Yes, a lot of money is spent on this area and if you would like to give me some itemized feedback it would be appreciated. It is also quite possible that we may be able to source you a room here that is more to your taste so please do make your requirements specific and we will more than try to achieve this for you.

Our sister hotel on Deansgate is very buzzing and exciting and we would never wish to compete with it - we are completely different types of hotel in completely different locations with guests whose needs are very different. However, we have invested greatly in this hotel over the last few months and we believe that our friendliness, commitment to customer service and airport location give us something to be really proud of. Mason's will be opening shortly, and we have some really good events coming up, including a Sportsman's Dinner featuring Tommy Docherty and Fred Eyre. We feel excited about our future and I hope that the more you stay with us, the more you will come to feel our true value.

Thank you once again dear guest for writing in and please do contact me if you wish to discuss any of the above or your requirements for a future stay.

Many kind regards
Sue Harman
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2012

Booked overnight stay and parking. Close to airport so very convenient. Efficient check in, nice room, nice food and not expensive. On arrival home, quick pick up, car ready and straight off home. Couldn't ask for any more.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
ludlow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2012

we used this hotel on the way to our holiday. We found it good value but not quite as good as the Radisson but it was very good.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Canterbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2012

We stayed here for two nights on a £50 per night deal, one before an early flight from Manchester airport and one following a late flight on the return leg.

Location - hotel is very close to the airport terminals - I think there are walkways but they involve crossing busy roads, so we got a transfer from the terminal.

Transfers - we assumed that transfers would be sent regularly given the amount of rooms and the fact it serves the airport, but be aware you need to call in advance to book the shuttle bus from the hotel. Once we booked, it took 15-20 minutes or so to show up, not sure why it took this long given the proximity of the hotel. There are no signs specifying where you are picked up from, so make sure you are in the right place by checking with the hotel (once you get through to them - took us a few attempts). Shuttle bus is free, however.

Rooms - these are ok, apart from a bit of mould around the bath seals, could do with a refresh. Towels seem clean, shampoo and other bits are provided. Seemed clean enough and bed was fine, slept well both times.

Restaurant/bar - two options for eating, the restaurant or the bar. I have stayed in the hotel several times in previous years on business, and they used to have a buffet-style starter option in the restaurant but this appears to have disappeared. We decided to eat in the bar as choices in the restaurant weren't to our liking and the price would have been ~£30-40 a head once you add on side dishes, drinks etc. Bar food selection was fine, but the prices are extortionate. The hotel is situated in such an area that there are very few other options - we found a pub a walk away but this wasn't doing food the night we were there. No takeaway places deliver for some reason. As an example of the food prices, a burger and chips is £15, a curry was £17. The food was ok, but not worth the price by any means.

"Room Service" - on the return trip, the bar food closes at 11 so we had no choice after a long flight but to order to our room. Options are very limited to sandwiches and a few expensive presumably microwaved meals (Thai curry was available at about £16 I believe). We ordered two baguettes, once room service picked up the phone (took 3 or 4 tries with no success). After ordering and waiting 40 minutes, we called to be told they would be another 15. A further 20 minutes later and the food finally arrived, including £4 "tray charge" which I politely crossed out and refused to pay.

There are plenty of other options around the airport, and I will certainly not be staying here again. I would recommend you steer clear and pay a bit more to stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2012

Arrived to find the place was a building site we had not been told when we booked as would have stayed elsewhere. No bar and the restraint wads tempory affair set up in a meeting room loud drilling noises vibrating around the whole place. Why don't their just close theese places while they refurbish great start to our holoday

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank Travelgang1
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and I am so sorry that you came to stay with us right at the beginning of our restaurant/bar refurbishment. For about 2 days it was necessary to complete some drilling work but we did try and contain this to times when guests would be least disturbed. We moved our restaurant and bar into one of our conference rooms which is running smoothly with little negative impact.

Our lobby area is still fully functional with our Costa Coffees continually being served, no difference there and lunch is either in the lobby area or the specially set-up restaurant. The kitchen is not affected whatsoever and therefore our fantastic breakfasts, lunch and dinners are being served.

The reason that we have shut the restaurant is because we are opening, on target for the end of February, our brand new restaurant callled Mason's. It will have an international flavour but feature a woodburning pizza oven - more contemporary and very exciting! Our lobby area has already been refurbished and we will start on the bedrooms within the next few weeks. Yes, it would be great to shut the hotel and blitz the work but unfortunately it does not happen like that. We were never completely sure when the work would begin and we have bookings from over one year ago. We are very sorry if there has been any impact on our lovely loyal guests but we truly have tried to minimize disruption and are always willing to find a quiet place for any guest that needed it. The drilling has stopped and we are all now looking very much forward to a fantastic Mason's and brand new bar area too.

If anyone wishes to know more about this work that will be coming to an end soon then they only have to contact me.

Kind regards
Sue Harman
Belfast,Northern Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

I was here for a two day meeting including a one night stay. While this hotel is undergoing refurbishment, it really can't come soon enough! However despite this, the standard of clealiness throughout the hotel, and especially in the bedroom, was poor. When I returned to the room and started to work, I discovered how bad it was. The skirting board, window sill and other parts of the room hadn't been cleaned for weeks. There were 'liquid' stains on the lampshade, the divan was badly stained and the floor hadn't been cleaned properly. There was also the smell of smoke, like the room had recently been occupied by someone who smoked - not pleasant. Tiles around the bath and shower were also extremely grotty. I was so disgusted, I called the duty manager and he came to the room. He couldn't defend it but said that a refurbishment was coming but I highlighted regardless of this, it shouldn't have affected the cleaning. He offered to move me to another room, but as it was late and I was only staying for one night, so decided it wasn't worth it, so he offered me a night cap and his card for the next time I was going to be in the area. Despite seeing that the hotel was obviously at fault, I was disappointed that he didn't offer a gesture of sorts, like a discount off my bill, but nothing was forthcoming. I was surprised by the lack of customer care from Hilton particularly as I am Hilton Hhonors member. The BT Openzone Wifi was variable and particularly when that was an additional charge, I would have expected better. On the plus side, the courtesy bus to and from the airport was prompt and friendly and the conference team were friendly and helpful particularly Sandra. However, I would really think twice about returning here . . .

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
Crowne Plaza Manchester Airport
Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport
Radisson Blu Hotel, Manchester Airport
Holiday Inn Express Manchester Airport
Manchester Airport Marriott Hotel
Premier Inn Manchester Airport (M56/J6) Runger Lane North

Been to Hilton Manchester Airport? Share your experiences!