“3 star-hotel staff behaviour”

Hilton Manchester Airport
Ranked #59 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Rhodes Town, Greece
“3 star-hotel staff behaviour”
Reviewed 25 December 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a night as i had an early flight. The room was a typical business room but with very bad towels! What was, however, extremely inappropriate was the reception staff behaviour as far as my breakfast was concerned. In fact, when I checked in, the receptionist told me that "the breakfast was served from ... to ...". I did not really remember whether breakfast was included or not (it wasn't) as I had so many hotels to book in the specific trip. When I asked whether I could have breakfast, she said "of course you can" without informing me that breakfast was not included in my reservation (as other hotels do in this case) and if I wanted to have it, it cost 14 pounds. To make matters worse, when I was in the breakfast room, the girl responsible there, although looked in her screen and gave me a strange look when I mensioned my room number, again, did not say what was the right thing to say: "You are welcome but I have to tell you that your breakfast is not included and there is some extra cost of 14 pounds". Of course nothing of these happened and I paid for one of the worst and basic breakfast varieties I have found in a hotel (although there was a cook who fried your eggs). This attitude is suitable for a small suburban motel which is eager to get your 14 pounds! Never again!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
GM_HiltonMA, Manager at Hilton Manchester Airport, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback and I am so sorry that you have had cause to complain. I can feel from your words how disappointed, annoyed and let down you feel and can more than empathise with those sentiments.

It does sound as though your experience regarding whether breakfast was included or not was very muddled and badly handled and I will be asking my team to look into how we approach this subject so that there is transparency and no awkwardness. I would though, urge all of our guests to be aware of exactly what they have booked as not all of my staff will have that information to hand. However, the pertinent point is that you were not happy with how it was handled and I offer you my sincere apologies for that. Extra training will be rolled out to ensure empathic and professional responses at all times.

I have requested that my head housekeeper looks into our towel quality and replace any that require it.

We normally pride ourselves on the quality of our breakfast and I shall ensure Chef receives a copy of your feedback too as I know he will take it with all seriousness.

I do hope that you will come back one day, thank you for your comments, and would assure you of my best attention at all times.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
York
Reviewed 24 December 2013

We stayed overnight before an early morning flight to Canada and found it a very relaxing and comfortable way to start our holiday. We needed to have breakfast very early and it was there, freshly cooked, when we needed it. We had arranged car parking for the duration of our stay and this was handled very smoothly.

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your comments and it certainly sounds as though we ticked all the boxes for you!

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found it relaxing and comfortable. Yes, our breakfast commences at 0430 hours with continental and full English an hour later so we are ready for our early birds!

Being so close to the terminal buildings, our shuttle bus is convenient, quick and 24 hours with car parking included in the package if required, so easy and stress free for those early morning departures.

I do hope that you went on to have a great flight and fantastic holiday in Canada and that we will be seeing you again soon.

Many kind regards
Ayr, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 December 2013

Stayed here last week for the first time last week. Nice hotel, close to the Airport and lives up to the Hilton name. Rooms were spacious enough for all of our luggage and it was only a 2 minute shuttle journey to the Airport. Would certainly return

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a King bed over a Queen bed, if available.
Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
GM_HiltonMA, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Manchester Airport, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear Paul

Thank you very much for your lovely review and I am so glad that you truly enjoyed your first stay with us. It sounds as though your room specification and proximity to the airport met with your needs pefectly and am so glad that you will be coming back to stay.

Happy New Year to you.
Sue Harman
UK
Reviewed 22 December 2013

We stayed at the hotel for one night as it was convenient for visiting friends in the surrounding area. We found the staff very much 'matter of fact' ie doing their job but not over friendly. I guess this could be due the fact that it appeared to be a busy airport hotel with a lot of people coming and going. The room was clean and pleasant and had all the amenities one comes to expect from the Hilton hotels. We dined in Mason's restaurant and had the 3 course meal for £25 (note you need to book and pay for this at reception as you cannot get this deal at the table) - and the meal was excellent. Breakfast was also in Mason's and this was okay. Also be aware that if you are driving to the hotel that there are alot of roadworks nearby so make sure you do not miss the hotel entrance.

Room Tip: Avoid room by the train station
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
GM_HiltonMA, Manager at Hilton Manchester Airport, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Dear Guest

I do appreciate you taking the time to write a review and it feels as though your stay met with your requirements, even a bit above in the restaurant, however there was a lack of wow factor.

It is a shame as we are normally praised for our staff attitude and I do not know why this was perhaps not as evident for you when you stayed. All of our comments are shared with the team and this will give them time to reflect on your words to see what was missing.

I am glad though that your stay did have some very positive moments and, yes, we do have roadworks which are for the airport development. If you miss our turning, just carry on up to the roundabout and come back, it is very close.

I do hope that your travels will bring you back this way soon and, until them, would wish you a very Happy Christmas and peaceful New Year.

Addison, Texas
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I stay here because of the convenience but now it will also be because it's a good experience. What a difference 6 months makes. From the bus driver thru to restaurant staff everyone was pleasant and really helpful. Not so back in April. Comfortable, clean room, good restaurant service, attentive bell man. Couldn't ask for more.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo

North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Made most welcome at Reception, breakfast was of the highest standard and the staff could not be more helpful. The bedroom was extremely comfortable and excellent value for price paid. Unfortunately on this visit was unable to eat in the Restaurant as we arrived quite late due to flight times but previous visit two weeks earlier had a fantastic meal in Masons. Would highly recommend. Shall be returning in February.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

GM_HiltonMA, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Manchester Airport, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your lovely glowing review, it truly is appreciated. There is something about the true Hilton spirit in your words and I am so glad that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay.

We all look forward to having you back here in February and hope you have a wonderful Christmas.

Many kind regards
Sue Harman
Settle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I stayed here with my wife on 18 November 2013. I have stayed here previously and always considered this hotel to be a cut above the other similar hotels nearby. We used to consider this the beginning of our holiday break and would look forward to a relaxing stay and romantic meal in classy surroundings.

Reception area was good with helpful staff and easy check in.

The room allocated was rubbish with stained carpets, brown stains in the bath and a general feeling of being worn out, scruffy and grubby. Another room was allocated which was a little better but still showing signs of wear and tear and lacking in the luxury feel which used to be part of the experience here.

We had pre booked dinner and breakfast. For dinner we were shown to a table for two sandwiched between two other couples. The table was shabby. The formica surface was bubbling, there were no place mats or table cloths. The food was OK but the setting was cheap and nasty. It was like eating in a transport café. They also seem to have lost the live pianist who used to add to the ambiance.

Breakfast was a little better with some attempt having been made to set the tables properly. There was a good selection of breakfast foods available and the freshly cooked omelette I had was very good.

Throughout the stay all the staff were very helpful and friendly but sadly the fabric of the hotel was not up to standard. This hotel has lost its "cut above" status and I have no reason for selecting to stay there again in the future.

In general, a very disappointing experience. I tried to provide some constructive feedback via their website but it is not user friendly and I was forced to abandon my efforts and post my findings here.

Room Tip: Try another hotel instead
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank chris h
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
Crowne Plaza Manchester Airport
Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport
Radisson Blu Hotel, Manchester Airport
Holiday Inn Express Manchester Airport
Manchester Airport Marriott Hotel
Premier Inn Manchester Airport (M56/J6) Runger Lane North

Been to Hilton Manchester Airport? Share your experiences!