“Awful! Never again!!”

Hilton Manchester Airport
Ranked #59 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed here the day before my holiday and had already booked for when we got back!
The rooms are basic but not too grubby. The bathrooms are atrocious and the towels STINK of cigarette smoke!
The food is waaaaay over priced (we went to the hotel across the way for a much cheaper dinner)
Ordered room service the second time we stayed as we were late getting to the hotel and the food was awful! Wedges were all black on the inside and we had to call room service back twice as they made a mistake with our order!!!
Disappointed with the standards for a Hilton

• Stayed: December 2013
GM_HiltonMA, Manager at Hilton Manchester Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and I am very sorry that you have had cause to complain. Reading the words you used, I can feel the disappointment, frustration and annoyance you felt and I am investigating our service and standards to ensure that there is no repeat.

As I do not have access to precise information, I do not know if you talked this through with a Manager at the time or what happened about the issues. I do hope that there was some kind of resolution for you as we never wish for any of our guests to leave with negative emotions.

I have requested that our head housekeeper checks our storage of towels. I do not know why they would smell of cigarette smoke as they come from a laundry and go straight into the rooms, unless it was a smoking room that you were in. Again, I do not have access to that information. However, I am very sorry about the odour and we shall certainly be vigilant for same.

We do offer a dinner voucher upon check-in of £22.50 for 3 courses which I believe offers good value for money when you consider it is chosen from our usual quality Mason's Restaurant menu. We do also offer a bar menu with lesser priced options.

The quality of food should never be in doubt and I would apologise to you for the room service standard which certainly does not sound acceptable. Chef has been advised of this and will keep watch - we do not have the date of your stay so again cannot go back to investigate in full.

Do let us know in advance if you are coming back so that we can look after you in the usual Hilton way and, once again, I would apologise to you for any shortfalls experienced.

Assuring you of my best attention at all times.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

ticks all the boxes, location, service and quality. would definitely stay again and recommend as one of the best airport hotels in Manchester. The rooms were excellent, great soft feather pillows and duvet, free wifi and a great breakfast

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
GM_HiltonMA, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Manchester Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear Guest

Wow! Thank you so much for such a lovely glowing review, your stay sounds perfect and I am so glad that we were able to achieve that for you.

Looking forward to having you here again dear guest and a very happy New Year to you from us all here at the Hilton Manchester Airport.

Sue Harman

Reviewed 28 December 2013

Handy for where I was working the next day, this airport hotel serves those catching planes, even at really anti social hours. The bar grub was great, I had their burger and chips, just the right amount and not too expensive. Don't stay here if you want anything other than the airport. Or you knows where you need to be the next day.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 December 2013

filthy room , disgusting, never again the floor in the dining room was heavily stained hadn't been cleaned for 7days I booked in on the 17/12/13 and had already booked for 25/12/13 and 26/12/13 the staines were still there this is not a 4star hotel maybe a 2star the standards are terrible the carpet was heavily soiled in room,did not want to take shoes off ,the breakfast was cold/warm and the staff are so rude I was told by a member of staff "you get what you pay for " then he walked away laughing ,book into a hostle ymca it will be cleaner

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
GM_HiltonMA, Manager at Hilton Manchester Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review of this hotel. We have now been in communication personally over your comments which had been made known to me before this submission.

We have talked through the situation and a satisfactory conclusion was reached. I do hope this demonstrates that we do care about any negative feedback received and will act without delay to contact our guests and have whatever conversation is necessary.

I do look forward to seeing you and would assure you of my best attention at all times.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

We chose this place because we were flying out of the Manchester Airport the next morning. It wasn't exactly cheap, but my husband is in the Hilton frequent stayers club, so we decided it was the best choice for us. The room was perfectly fine -- clean and well-equipped, but lacking in charm -- basic business hotel. The hotel restaurant was the only real choice for dinner, and we were pleasantly surprised with it. It had an open, attractive layout with a pleasant atmosphere. The people were very friendly, and the food was good. We ate breakfast there in the morning, and again we were surprised to discover a very good breakfast buffet with lots of hot and cold choices. We were happy with our choice.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your review and I am so glad that you had a good stay with us recently. We are very convenient for the airport and train station with our Mason's Restaurant attracting many guests.

Our rooms come in differing tiers of pricing so please do check the website for exactly what you wish to book and contact us direct if you require more assistance.

We do try hard with the quality and ambience of our Masons's Restaurant as we know that there is little in the vicinity and try to appeal to quite a broad audience which, from feedback given, we achieve very well. So, thank you for your positive remarks and, yes, our breakfast is said to be "the best in the business"!

I do hope that you are back with us soon and would assure you of my best attention at all times.

Reviewed 25 December 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a night as i had an early flight. The room was a typical business room but with very bad towels! What was, however, extremely inappropriate was the reception staff behaviour as far as my breakfast was concerned. In fact, when I checked in, the receptionist told me that "the breakfast was served from ... to ...". I did not really remember whether breakfast was included or not (it wasn't) as I had so many hotels to book in the specific trip. When I asked whether I could have breakfast, she said "of course you can" without informing me that breakfast was not included in my reservation (as other hotels do in this case) and if I wanted to have it, it cost 14 pounds. To make matters worse, when I was in the breakfast room, the girl responsible there, although looked in her screen and gave me a strange look when I mensioned my room number, again, did not say what was the right thing to say: "You are welcome but I have to tell you that your breakfast is not included and there is some extra cost of 14 pounds". Of course nothing of these happened and I paid for one of the worst and basic breakfast varieties I have found in a hotel (although there was a cook who fried your eggs). This attitude is suitable for a small suburban motel which is eager to get your 14 pounds! Never again!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback and I am so sorry that you have had cause to complain. I can feel from your words how disappointed, annoyed and let down you feel and can more than empathise with those sentiments.

It does sound as though your experience regarding whether breakfast was included or not was very muddled and badly handled and I will be asking my team to look into how we approach this subject so that there is transparency and no awkwardness. I would though, urge all of our guests to be aware of exactly what they have booked as not all of my staff will have that information to hand. However, the pertinent point is that you were not happy with how it was handled and I offer you my sincere apologies for that. Extra training will be rolled out to ensure empathic and professional responses at all times.

I have requested that my head housekeeper looks into our towel quality and replace any that require it.

We normally pride ourselves on the quality of our breakfast and I shall ensure Chef receives a copy of your feedback too as I know he will take it with all seriousness.

I do hope that you will come back one day, thank you for your comments, and would assure you of my best attention at all times.

Reviewed 24 December 2013

We stayed overnight before an early morning flight to Canada and found it a very relaxing and comfortable way to start our holiday. We needed to have breakfast very early and it was there, freshly cooked, when we needed it. We had arranged car parking for the duration of our stay and this was handled very smoothly.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your comments and it certainly sounds as though we ticked all the boxes for you!

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found it relaxing and comfortable. Yes, our breakfast commences at 0430 hours with continental and full English an hour later so we are ready for our early birds!

Being so close to the terminal buildings, our shuttle bus is convenient, quick and 24 hours with car parking included in the package if required, so easy and stress free for those early morning departures.

I do hope that you went on to have a great flight and fantastic holiday in Canada and that we will be seeing you again soon.

Many kind regards