“Could of been a lot better”

Hilton Manchester Airport
Ranked #59 of 119 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for a night prior to my early morning flight out of the airport. The hotel is next too the airport and is first class for if you simply want to wake up and run next door.

I booked a plus room and am a hilton honors club member, I have to say I was very disappointed with the value for money in the room.

There seemed to be no difference between this room and a standard room apart from getting two free bottles of water. There were no face towels in the bathroom, no stocked mini bar and also a lack of towels in the room.

I opted to eat from the bar in the evening it was quite expensive but with nothing else available nearby I had no other option!

Breakfast was a major let down! I'd say around 95% of the tables in the restaurant had dirty plates and glasses on and hadn't been cleaned. No hot drinks were offered. No still water was available, when requesting some I got given a pint glass complete with lipstick marks!

There were no tea bags available, the standard of the hot food was well below standard.

I have to say I am extremely disappointed with what I paid for, I would of made a complaint but I was simply in a rush to leave for the flight.

I am stayed in this hotel again in April and I don't know what to expect really I'm stuck as I'm on a pre paid rate and really do want to get out of it!

• Stayed: March 2014
GM_HiltonMA, Manager at Hilton Manchester Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for taking the time to complete a review of us here and I am so sorry that you have had cause to complain. Reading your words, I can feel how disappointed, let down and annoyed you were with your stay and do wish you to know that I do take your feedback seriously.

Each of my heads of department involved will be asked to investigate what went wrong with your stay so that we can ensure that it does not happen again. It is not acceptable that your stay was marred on more than one level and changes will most certainly be implemented.

If you kindly let my Guest Relations colleague sue.harman@hilton.com know the exact date of your next stay then we will oversee the booking for you to ensure a smooth and enjoyable time. As one of our loyal Hilton Honors members you are very important to us and it is a shame that you could not speak with us at the time. We may have been able to reach out to you there and then so that you left with a resolution in hand rather than negative thoughts which persist.

I would thank you for bringing this feedback to my attention dear guest and do hope that we hear from you soon.

Until then, may I assure you of my best attention at all times.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Manchester Airport

Reviewed 5 March 2014

Hilton Manchester Airport is a good convenient hotel for airport use.
Bedrooms are comfortable ,but a little small as a double.
Restraunt Is average and the hotel nothing like years gone by.
Now mainly catering for business travellers not the home comforts you would once expect of the brand.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your positive review and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us here in Manchester.

We do actually have quite a few leisure guests staying with us throughout the year who tend to come back time after time so I hope we are getting something right!

I do hope that your travels bring you back to us soon and would send you my very best wishes.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Arrived at terminal 3 and rung hotel within 5 mins the free transfer bus turned up to pick us up .
The driver was friendly and helpful and chatted to us back to the hotel.
check in was efficient and reception told us about breakfast etc and gave us a choice of floors.
We choose to take a bar meal the service was good but the meal i was not too impressed with .
Our room was lovely clean and fresh and we asked for more pillows which were brought immediately very impressed.
Breakfast next morning was faultless good service and good variety of hot and cold food.
We took transfer bus bus back to terminal one next morning again this service was faultless.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Hotel California, dated and more akin to a budget backstretch hotel in its standards.

Found inexperienced young bar staff unable to cope with light orders, they have no product knowledge and typically an order for one drink will take up to fifteen or more minutes to complete, resulting in a queue for drinks reminiscent of being at a dingy night club .

They had "run out" of a rum they were displaying for sale, and would not check their stocks for a replacement. Very poor and sub standard stock management for a hotel that charges a whopping £8+ for the rum, served in a sub standard dish washer marked cool drink tumbler! As for the Chablis, costing a staggering £12 a glass - and over £35 a bottle, served warm at a table and only deposited in an ice bucket after 2 requests, they have list the plot on standards.

Food wise, it took 40 minutes to arrive, one steak completely overcooked, returned and overcooked again. Service was dismal, a 12oz mediocre steak costs £30, is accompanied with soft and tasteless pieces if potato masquerading as chips, and the extra cost for a pepper sauce was a waste, it was runny cream with peppercorns.

We had to ask three waiters to clear our plates, 20 min after we had finished eating, and after asking another two waiters for the desert menu, we gave up waiting, asked for the bill and paid. A tip was left by the host out of courtesy, it was pocketed by one member of staff within full view of us.

Complete lack of management, training, standard's and basic waiting on skills. The bill was £300 for ten of us, not to mention the huge cost of accommodation and parking that guests get stung for. Frankly Hilton group, we shall never again be caught by your sub standard, opportunistic and greedy offering at an airport hotel, ever again.

Room Tip: Check the room safes to see if they work.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank The_Cambridge_Mostyn

Dear Guest

Thank you for your indepth review of us here at the hotel and I would apologise to you wholeheartedly for your stay being marred on more than one level, albeit mainly surrounding your food and beverage experience.

I do not know if your frustrations and lack of brand standard were brought to our attention at the time and whether it was handled by our Duty Manager there and then but can say I can feel how exasperated you felt and can empathise with those sentiments. The team involved are accountable and will be asked for an investigation to take place.

I know that this does not help you as It is always very hard to rectify any shortfalls after the event but please do contact me personally should you be in the area so that we can meet and discuss this in person.

Until then, I would assure you of my best attention at all times.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

stayed at the hotel the evening before flight booked 2 rooms...rooms were nice clean and comfortable.
Didnt stay for breakfast because of early flight ...but came out with bags at 6.30am and driver was waiting to take us to airport terminal which was great no waiting round ....left cars for 8 days parked in hotel on return phoned hotel from terminal was picked up approx 5 minutes later and taken back to hotel for our vehicle.
Brilliant no waiting round
Will do the fly and park again with the Hilton... value for money

Room Tip: Rooms we had were just fine
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Our 48 hour break was clear tale of two halves
Friday night to Saturday AM great
Our request for higher floor met with warm affirmative
A room hosting 3 adults and two kids was great. Easy parking slots fairly close to room
Saturday AM breakfast was good
Saturday night a bit noisy by the proximity to airport and acceptable given the location
Unfortunately Sunday AM flight cancelled to Goa apparently and priority was given to their breakfast over rest if the hotel guests
That left seven of us in two rooms and several other innocent bystanders stranded for food at 0945
Fairly disappointing as no manager apologised
We thought it was a delay but food ran out! Eaten by upset Goa bound ladies and gentleman
I have no problem them being them accommodated but what about 30 people starving!
My kids only eat pan cakes and hash browns none left
There was only one gentleman who worked phenomenally hard to make ends meet
Really well done
Saving grace was he could make good letter and those who eat omelette had some thing to chew and cheer
The management should personally write to every one who stayed Saturday Match 1st night and did not get breakfast and offer free night BB in hilton somewhere else as I might struggle to go there again

• Stayed: February 2014
GM_HiltonMA, Manager at Hilton Manchester Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for submitting a review on TripAdvisor and I am truly sorry that the additional guests had such a negative impact on your stay.

If we have spare capacity then we will offer accommodation to guests whose flights have been delayed or even cancelled and usually this arrangements works very well. Being so close to the airport, we are ideally situated, however, this decision is always taken bearing in mind any possible effect on our loyal in-house guests.

It does feel this time as though we did not achieve our aim and, after having a lovely first part of your stay, your second part was spoilt. I would offer you my wholehearted apology for this and ask that the next time you are planning a stay, please contact me so that I can oversee your booking personally. You are important to us here at the hotel and I do not wish you to retain a lasting negative impression when we do strive hard to achieve and maintain high standards here at the hotel.

I do hope that, on balance, you will decide to stay with us once again and would very much like the opportunity to make it right for you. Until then, may I assure you of my best attention at all times.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

We have stayed at the Hilton Manchester Airport a couple of times over the last few months when getting an early flight out of Manchester. The location is very convenient with good access from any direction. I can recommend taking the 'fly and park' deal which is competitive and so much easier than getting on the service bus from the long stay car parks. The staff are welcoming and capable, both at reception and in the restaurant, so checking in and out is a breeze. The food is what you expect from an airport hotel; nothing grand but tasty and affordable. It is a great way to start (or end) your holiday abroad ... we will be back.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple