“Good location but that's about it...”

Hilton Manchester Airport
Ranked #58 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Good location but that's about it...”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I grew up believing Hilton to be a sign of quality. However, these days that doesn't seem to be the case, in the UK at least. They seem to think that having "Hilton" and "airport" in the title means they don't need to maintain standards inside.
The location is good, as it's within the airport complex so you can walk to the terminals if you wish or use the free shuttle. That's the only positive thing I can think of though.
The lobby looks nice, but the rooms could do with freshening up a little. The beds were terribly uncomfortable and the bathroom hadn't been cleaned very well. Check-in was very slow despite the fact there were only 2 people ahead of me and the staff were not especially friendly.
I made the mistake of ordering room service which was a complete waste of money. The chips were soggy and lukewarm, the duck was not cooked as described and absolutely disgusting. I ended up eating a granola bar I found in the bottom of my bag instead.
So far, I don't think any of the MAN airport hotels are great, but this is definitely my last choice. As it's a Hilton, you pay more for the room, extra for parking, WiFi, food, etc... which would be fine if the quality was superior to the cheaper hotels, but it isn't.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank littlemissnuisance
GM_HiltonMA, Manager at Hilton Manchester Airport, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and I am so sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Reading your words, I can feel your disappointment and was wondering if you let us know at the time of your dissatisfaction so that we could have reached out there and then to change it for you?

It is always so hard after the event, and especially with no details to investigate, to make things right, so unless we are given the chance whilst you are here to correct any oversights in our Hilton standard then possibly this is the only forum we have.

I shall most certainly pass on your comments to Chef about the meal and to housekeeping as well. We do strive hard here at the Hilton Manchester Airport to achieve and maintain high standards and it is with the aid of your feedback that we can make this happen.

If you are coming back to stay, please do let us know beforehand so that we can oversee the booking at a personal level. Until then, I would assure you of my best attention at all times.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Stayed at the hilton manchester airport with friends before flying off on holiday. Cannot really complain about the hotel. Easy to find. Quite a compact room but it was fresh, clean and a great comfy bed. Even tho the hotel is located bang next to the airport , no sounds of planes during the night.

Reception Staff ok didn't really give much eye contact on check in. Not really enthusiastic about us coming to stay. Working in a hotel myself i expect to be greeted the way i would great my guests in my hotel.

i must say that service in the restaurant was the best in terms of waiting time. We were a party of four and after 5-10 minutes of placing our food order, the food was delivered.There was'nt many staff in the restaurant whilst we were there so if we needed assistance we had to get up and ask for it.

Also, Parking for the night was £15 which is rather expensive.

Apart from the minor negatives the stay was fine nothing to rave about but comfortable and convenient.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to place a review on TripAdvisor and it does sound as though you did enjoy your stay with us. I am glad that you enjoyed your room and, yes, we are very close to the terminal buildings!

Your Mason's experience feels excellent on one level and then slightly let down by having to ask for further service. I shall pass this feedback onto our Mason's Manager whom I know does take all comments very seriously.

I am hoping that due to your "fine stay" that you will be back with us soon dear guest and, until then, would assure you of my best attention at all times.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I stay at this hotel on a regular basis. The location is excellent (close to the airport and train station), the food is good, although the wine is slightly over priced. To be honest, its the staff that make the hotel stay excellent. Everyone is so warm and genuine, from the concierge to the bar staff (esp Gregg) - I did however encounter a very disappointing experience after my last stay.
I accidentally left my Pandora bracelet in the room. I remember taking it off in bed and placing it on the bed side table. Not only is this expensive, but has sentimental value as each charm was given to me at memorable times in my life. I straight away contacted the hotel who put me through to house keeping who told me they would check to see if anything had been found, but nothing. Each day I called and had to explain my story each time. On the 4th attempt the lady was quite sharp, suggesting I should have called before!
Although I appreciate it's my mistake, and realistically I didn't expect to find it, it is how the situation was handled that upsets me. All I wanted was for someone to take responsibility of the situation, and personally ask the lady that cleaned my room, and personally look under the bed and I would have been more than satisfied. A system should be put in place to record all lost and found issues to avoid anyone else suffering my frustration.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
GM_HiltonMA, Manager at Hilton Manchester Airport, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Vicky

Thank you for your very nice review of us here at the Airport, and especially about my colleagues, yes they are warm and genuine and I shall certainly pass on your kind comments about Gregg.

With regards to your bracelet, I am so sorry that this has been lost. I can feel from your words how upset, disappointed and annoyed you must have felt and can more than empathise with those sentiments.

We do in fact keep a very concise log of all lost property and send hundreds of items all over the world back to their keepers so are very well versed in handling these situations. It sounds as though, due to the nature of the bookings, when you called, the room was already occupied and, as there had been no report of a found bracelet, then we could not immediately go and check the room for you. The maid would have been asked and we would have searched the room at the first opporunity but, to date, the item has not been found.

I would once again say how much I can feel your disappointment and we do remain vigilent for it turning up, as they sometimes do.

I hope that you are back with us soon Vicky and would assure you of my best attention at all times.

Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

I'm a Hilton Honours member and have stayed in many of their properties. This particular hotel is low on my list, it's convenient to the airport but no better than average in quality and amenities when compared, for example, to the Hilton Airport Copenhagen. This should be a lesser branded hotel; it's basic and small inside, offers few comforts, lousy beds (rock hard mattress, mushy pillows) and no electrical outlets by the bed! Very typically British!!

Not recommended

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Tom

Thank you for your review Tom, and gosh, I am so sorry that we disappointed you. I do not know if you let us know at the time about your issues as we would most certainly have reached out to you there and then to make things right.

If you let me know the next time you are coming to stay, I shall personally oversee the booking to ensure an enjoyable stay. Perhaps we could go into further detail about your preferences and how we can best serve your needs, especially as one of our loyal Hhonors members.

I do hope that you will give us another chance Tom and would assure you of my best attention at all times.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

Wee booked through a third party web site, so weren't aware of the compulsory £12 parking fee. Just annoys me when hotels add these extra costs. Room comfort was fine, quiet,and reasonably spacious, bathroom was good . TV remote was dead and only basic BBC,ITV,C4 channels, WiFi extra cost (yet again), why do they still charge for this? Oh, and no biscuits- what ever next! Bla bla bla to get to 200 characters ... Nearly there. Bla bla bla

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
GM_HiltonMA, Manager at Hilton Manchester Airport, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you placing a review on this website. As you also filled in a comment card before your departure, we have today replied to you personally regarding the third party website and, as it is a personal reply, shall not replicate it here.

Many kind regards
Covington, Virginia
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We had stayed here several times before and hope we have the opportunity to be at Manchester airport again for another stay. No free WiFi but there were computers available near reception with much larger screens than our tablet has!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Nottingham
Reviewed 7 May 2014

£177 for one night before a flight. Nice room but bathroom a bit old and tatty. Nice speedy check in, recognised the loyalty scheme. Room service was efficient, food ok but again really expensive if you and not your company are paying. But it's all about location and it is literally 5 mins from the airport.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to let us know your experience of staying with us and it does feel as though you enjoyed your stay, especially your check-in, recognition, room and room service.

I thought it worth mentioning that if the rate is high then it is because we are actually a very popular hotel and I am presuming that you booked fairly close to the stay date. As you say, we are right outside the terminals and railway station and therefore great for those early check-ins or business meetings. However, there are some great rates to be had by booking in advance or by choosing a package deal, say staying and parking included.

I do hope that you can be back with us again in the not too distant future and, until then, would assure you of my best attention at all times.

Hotel Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
Crowne Plaza Manchester Airport
Radisson Blu Hotel, Manchester Airport
Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport
Holiday Inn Express Manchester Airport
Premier Inn Manchester Airport (M56/J6) Runger Lane North
Manchester Airport Marriott Hotel

Been to Hilton Manchester Airport? Share your experiences!