“Good airport hotel”

Ranked #58 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
Adelaide, Australia
“Good airport hotel”
Reviewed 14 May 2009

Nice, clean, modern hotel. Very nice room. Much better than some other airport hotels.
Good 15 day car parking facility also. Would stay here again when flying to or from Manchester.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rubiru

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 May 2009

I thought it was hard to find a worse airport hilton than the one in Rome, but this one takes the award.

Took three attempts to find a half decent room.
The first room I checked into had other people's hair on the pillow and in the bath. Very noticeable and quite frankly left me with concerns about hygiene and what else might not have been cleaned. When I went back to reception to change my room, all the languagely challenged receptionist could say was "ok" nobody asked me"why" do you want to change room. Nobody apologised.

The second non-smoking room I went to had such a bad smoking smell, the housekeeper had left the window open. Again when I went back to reception nobody showed any empathy or seemed in anyway concerned that it took three attempts to find a half decent room.

Towels are like sandpaper
As for the newly refurbished rooms - they clearly forgot to refurbish the towels, which are coarse like sandpaper. If they were mine, all I would use them for would be standing on after a shower at the local gym. The ones in all the rooms I saw were the same - old, overwashed and worn out.

Don't ask to be woken up - sorry we don't do that.
After 24 rings, the operator answered tehphone and I was told they can't set up a wake up call - you have to use the TV or the clock radio in your room. Really ! Hard to believe an airport hilton doesn't have a system that the front desk can't program the phone system to call somebody to wake them. With bad attitude the front desk receptionist said they could ask for it to be done "manually" but couldn't guarantee it. Needless to say, I was not surprised when nobody telephoned the next morning.

Don't ask anyone to call you - they will be told you are not there, haven't checked-in or your line is engaged - even if you are in your room all evening watching TV.
A business colleague took 5 times attempts to reach me. Even though I was in my hotel room and not on the phone, the run around was given with one story after another - either I hadn't checked in yet, wasn't in my room, or the line was engaged (when I never called anyone). Glad it wasn't an important call.

When I spoke to the duty manager about my problems, all I received was platitudes. I would not stay at this hotel again, even if I had a free night. My award for the worst airport hilton goes to Manchester. Congratulations !

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
Staffordshire
Reviewed 3 April 2009

Stayed here the day after getting married and I have to say we were very glad that we had booked to stay here. Check in was very quick and efficient, the staff were friendly and helpful, which always makes a good first impression. The room was clean and the air con was very good, had no noise at all from the planes. We ordered room service with it being a special occasion, and this service was brilliant too. Breakfast was way better than we were expecting at 5.30am! They offered a continental between 5.30 - 6am and then a full english after 6. We only had the continental but it was more than substantial. It was a very short walk to Terminal 1, although they did offer a free shuttle service.

2 Thank Sunshine10156
Northampton
Reviewed 29 March 2009

Stayed here for 1 night at a very cheap weekend rate paid in advance.

As a Hilton Gold VIP I was upgraded and given breakfast which fitted in perfectly with my plans as it was served until 11 on Saturday.

The welcome was amongst the best I have had. The room was great with plenty of space and storage and a really comfortable bed. Good bathroom too.

On departure if you are in their Car Park remember to validate your ticket with reception staff. The machine in the foyer by the door will charge you £30 whereas for residents it is £10.

Only negative took a while to be shown to a table at breakfast when they weren't that busy. Oddly 1 person even came up to ask if I was ok and left me there. The guy who finally showed me to a table apologised for the delay blaming the football match for them being busy. I guess less than a third of the tables were occupied!

Overall staff were great and genuinely helpful.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank BasilsTravels
Leicester
Reviewed 26 March 2009

My Wife and I stayed at the Hilton prior to our flight to Egypt, I booked package with Parking for 15days, the service we received was first class, the room was very nice and spotless and the bath and shower large and modern, tea and coffee, slim line TV, yes the food was expencive but Hey you are in a first class Hotel. The Parking was fine no complaints at all , I was a bit worried as I have a New car and the parking was off site but everything was fine, we stayed over on our return as our flight was arriving late, and everything was fine, we were picked up by the Hotel bus and my car was returned to the Hotel for our journey home the next day, We would use this service again for sure.

2 Thank Yantoleicester
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2009

Stayed for one night prior to an early morning flight. The room was fairly small but lovely and clean and the bed was very comfortable. Nice Crabtree and Evelyn bathroom amenities so no need to take your own for the overnight stay.

Had a drink in the bar and the service was very fast and efficient. The free transfer to the departure terminal was also very good. We had breakfast which I would highly recommend as we didn't even need to buy a drink at the airport which is obviously a bonus with their stringent liquid security rules still in place.

1 Thank HerRubyship
Leeds, England
Reviewed 23 February 2009

This is the fifth time we have stayed at this hotel in the last three years prior to a morning flight. The staff are very polite, friendly and the hotel rooms are modern and extremely nice especially the recently refurbished rooms.

Subject to your pre departure budget it maybe wise to eat and drink before you arrive. The bar prices are rather expensive for both the bar meals and the drinks. We paid £18 for two large glasses of wine.

On our latest trip the parking collection service was no where near as quick and efficient as the service previously offered by the Hilton.

On departure the Hilton minibus dropped us off at the terminal doors as per previous visits. On arrival back at Manchester however we have previously been collected from outside the terminal doors by the Hilton minibus which has transported us back to the hotel where our car has been waiting for us.

The policy however has changed. From terminal 2 we had walk to a collection point near the railway station and then waited outside in the cold for thirty minutes for the Airparks Gold bus to collect us. The bus then took us back to a muddy car park a few minutes drive from the airport where we collected our car keys from a portakabin style office.

This was not the same quick and efficient service that we have come to expect from the Hilton.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CalverleyRhino
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
Crowne Plaza Manchester Airport
Radisson Blu Hotel, Manchester Airport
Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport
Holiday Inn Express Manchester Airport
Premier Inn Manchester Airport (M56/J6) Runger Lane North
Manchester Airport Marriott Hotel

Been to Hilton Manchester Airport? Share your experiences!