“Very decent hotel & parking”

Hilton Manchester Airport
Ranked #59 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 14 June 2009

Stayed here the night before we flew out for our honeymoon, this hotel is very easy to find. We booked the hotel & parking package with our travel agent through Superbreak, however on arrival they couldn't find our booking. Not quite sure what they did in the end, but we were given a keycard and all the necessary info within about 5 minutes so I think the booking must have turned up - they didn't make any phone calls or anything. The hotel doesn't look much from the outside, but when inside the public areas look very nice. I was a little disappointed with the room at first, but I think I might have just had high expectations - it's only for a night after all. We had 2 double beds in the room, which was clean and quite spacious. No fault with the room, just a few minor things like loose taps and broken towel rails that aren't a problem and wouldn't be given a second thought in a Travelodge, but in the Hilton it's not quite what you'd expect. Anyway, if that's all I've got to moan about then surely that says it all! Considering the proximity to the airport the noise from outside is minimal, but there's not a great deal of soundproofing in the rooms - I think we were next door to another honeymooning couple, but never mind...we got our own back! That said, our room must also be used as a family room, as there was an interconnecting door (locked of course), so maybe this affected the soundproofing? We didn't eat in the hotel for obvious reasons, we had a drive around and ended up in Cheadle (about 15-20mins away) where there's loads of restaurants and takeaways. If you're parking in the hotel overnight, just ask reception to scan your carparking ticket to let you out free of charge if you're going out for dinner, then get a new ticket from the barrier when you come back in. You're given a form and an envelope to fill in and give your car keys to reception, it says you should do this by 11pm on the night - when we left for the airport at 8am the next morning our car had already been taken away - I believe they take it to Airparks but not sure which one. The transfer to the airport was embarrassingly quick - easy enough to walk, even with cases, but there is a busy road and lets not forget that it's probably raining in Manchester! On our return we couldn't find the courtesy phone in Terminal 1 so we just waited at the bus stop and the minibus arrived within about 10mins anyway - I think somebody else had called it, though, otherwise we might have had a longer wait! We'd paid for 15 days parking and, including the night that we parked in the Hilton, we'd actually been gone for 17 days but nothing was said about an extra charge. The paperwork they give you says that extra days parking should be arranged and paid for with the Hilton reception before you leave, but we took our chances and it paid off - what's the worst that can happen? So I was pleased not to have anything extra to pay, no bumps or scratches on the car and overall happy with this package. Not sure if I'd stay here again, it would depend on the price - we pushed the boat out a bit with it being our honeymoon, other hotel and parking packages started at a good £30 or so cheaper, but even at the £95 we paid it's still good value including the parking. On the point of price, when our agent booked us on the Superbreak website the Hilton & parking was over £100, but they do a "Secret Hotel" offer where they don't tell you the name of the hotel until you've booked and paid for it. Here's a tip - read the description of the "Secret" hotel carefully - you can almost always work out which hotel it is from the clues anyway, we saved over £10 from doing this!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 7 June 2009

We stayed for one night park and fly last month at a rate of £96 for a family room for 3, apart from the room being dark with only a small window overlooking the roof but it was very nice two large double beds for 2 adults and 1 child. Lovely clean towels, bathroom nice but bath quite narrow (although most people use the shower). Reception, check in and courtesy bus/concierge were excellent. Now for the negative: we ate in the bar, ordering 3 meals, the kids ate and drank free from the kids menu, our order arrived the two adult meals were wrong, one only had the wrong type of bread so not a real issue but I had ordered a club sandwich and was presented with a bacon, cheeseburger which I was not prepared to make do with even though the waitress tried what I can only decribe as emotional blackmail saying if I didn't eat it she will have to pay, I am sorry but this is not acceptable, is this a Hilton policy that staff have to pay or that they encourage staff to pull this stunt, this was eventually changed 20 minutes after my daughter and husband had finished their meal, the meals were delicious and very large portions although you do pay for this. On checking the bill after returning home (no itemised bill was given at any point) we were definately charged for childs drinks and the more expensive meal (that we did not order), I am just disappointed that I did not check this with reception on checking out the following morning but it was 4.30am. Finally we returned back on 1st June to collect our car and it had been bumped, it is now in the process of getting all the paperwork for that sorted out, hopefully satisfactorily. I have contacted Hilton direct regarding these two issues and hopefully will get some responcs.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank LiverpoolLooby
Reviewed 6 June 2009

When we go on long haul holidays we find it better to stay in Man Airport the night previous as theres no hurry from home on the day of your flight and it helps you unwind.we normally book the radisson sas because of its great views of the runway and its right on the Airport for your flight
But unfortunatly raddison had no parking available at short notice
This is a nice hotel very clean as you would expect from Hilton but isnt on the Airport so you have to get a curtesy bus to airport and phone to be picked up on your return journey which is a bit of a inconvienience, we phoned and was told it would be 10 mins and to walk to the roundabout outside term 3. I suppose they pick you up in different places according to the various Terminals at Manchester. it was on time and we were took to the Hilton where we picked up our car.
The rooms were nice enough but we overlooked the carpark theres a hairdrier and ironing board ect and the beds were clean and comfy the staff were really polite and we had a beautifull meal in the restuarant which was on offer for a 3 course meal but at about 25 pounds each it wasnt cheap.Lovely Staff and very clean but a bit inconvienent.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank DFITZPATRICK
Reviewed 5 June 2009

Stayed here for 1 night prior to holiday, with parking included. Check-in staff were friendly and welcoming. Room was spacious with 2 huge, extremely comfy beds (family room). Was disappointed to see stains on the scatter cushions on the bed which were really noticeable - otherwise room was really nice. Can't comment on food as we didn't eat there, because the prices were astronomical. Return car pick-up was fast and straightforward.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank hswatts
Reviewed 5 June 2009

A brilliant place to stay before your flight . No problems at all, the hotel room was lovely and clean ( the pillows were wonderful) The transfers to and from the airport were very efficient. Would stay here again before my next holiday.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vegas21uk
Reviewed 4 June 2009

I booked in here last year and I complained about the price of food, a barfood menu curry was £17. The rooms are really drab and this place is years behind the other hilton hotels. Not worth the money at all.

I booked in last month (May 2009) and the place was overbooked. My flight got in at 1AM and this crowd left me waiting in the lobby until 2AM while the bus driver delivered half their guests around to the other airport hotels.

They made me pay full whack on price even though I had to wait another 1/2 hour in the morning (my hire car was pared up in the Hilton).

Never again, its too unreliable for a business hotel and definatley not good enough value if your travelling on your own money.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 June 2009

I post this belatedly, but having read Aishas review, it seems we had a similar poor experience around the same time.
We'd booked up as a pre-stay prior to flying out to get married, so were expecting, from the Hilton website, a deluxe room for £160 with dinner bed and breakfast.
When we got there, we were given a basic room, clean and moderately equipped but nothing special.
The tipping point was when we were interrupted mid evening meal to be informed that we apparently hadn't purchased the dinner or the breakfast, which effectively ruined the ambience of the evening. Essentially the reception team weren't bothered, referring us by phone to the central reservations from the USA who clarified that we had paid, by then our appetite had gone and the duty manager was a wholly ineffectual man called Andy, who resolved nothing despite my protestations. At 4.30 the next morning when we came down to an early breakfast to add insult we were additionally charged for the meal, which wound me up all the more, great service prior to a long flight and our pre wedding treat!! Anyway, upon our return as a married couple, I complained to the head office and the situation was resolved to our satisfaction. But be warned, there are "training issues" and the festive season was certainly not festive there.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple