“Pricey but convienient”

Ranked #58 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Denver, Colorado
“Pricey but convienient”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2010

Great place to rest before your trip back home. Dinner was expensive so we sat in the bar for a light dinner. We were waited on by a trainee who took our order and disappeared. We had better service at McDonalds!

Front desk was very helpful and made a great impression. We were upgraded and our room was bigger than a Japanese hotel room. After the high price of the hotel, we found out that internet is another 15quid on top, and parking is also pricey.

We were leaving for the airport early in the morning. After a great breakfast, (buy coupons at front desk, its cheaper), we went to await the bus. We ran into an employee named Joanne who yelled and screamed at us and made us feel like we worked for her. What a bad representative of this hotel. She make my wife very angry, and everyone on the bus, including the driver thought she was on mean pills.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Carrickfergus uK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2010

What can I say about this hotel. It is a good location I guess not far from the airport and a frequent shuttle bus. Rooms are fine - albeit a bit tired looking and in need of some work. My complaints surround a few issues and I shall list these now:

(1) The room was HOT. I went into the room turned down the thermostat to cold and turned on what I though was Air Conditioning. Went out for dinner, came back in 3 hours and room was even hotter. I called the front desk and was told the hotel does not have air conditioning and that was a fan to circulate air. I asked if any rooms in the hotel has ac and I was told no. The guy at the front desk who answered the phone suggested I put on a fan and place it at an angle and it would cool the room down - what pathetic advice.

(2) The in room internet is £15 PER NIGHT. In 2010 what a complete rip off. It's not even wireless so I pay £15 and cannot even sit on the seat as the cable is not long enough I am forced to set at the desk - pathetic in my opinion. £15 per night for a start is a rip off and not having wireless in the rooms is even worse.

(3) The restaurant had good food but £29 for three courses plus drinks left a meal for 2 well over £60. Now that is fine but for that money I would expect every wish to be my command but alas no - I was told the meal came with mushroom and tomato. I ask for no tomato but an extra mushroom. I am told that is not allowed as the mushroom and tomato are cooked side by side on a tray so by taking a second mushroom it would waste a tomato - £29 I was paying so although this sounds so petty I was pretty mad that they would cause ill feeling over a mushroom! POOR in my humble opinion

In my personal opinion there are much better hotels near the airport for similar money. Avoid this place - I will NEVER be back - Promise.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank skinkaid
Prenton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2010

We stayed here 20th June, called the hotel from the airport courtesy phone - given instructions to pick up point which was a fair walk especially if you had suitcases in tow, also was outdoors, bizarre when car park courtesy vehicles pull up at the terminal doors under cover! Amazed the hotels stand for this.

Arrived at reception and met with a smile, I cheekily mentioned we were on the first day of our honeymoon(we were) hoping it might get me a room upgrade(it didn't) but we had been in our room less than five minutes when on answering the door we were presented with two glasses of champagne with the management's congratulations! - Nice touch.

The rooms as others report are not the best, probably 'tired' is a good description but it was clean and our Aircon worked fine! Black out blinds didn't touch the edges of the glass so light streamed in early on.

Went down for Dinner, were greeted politely and instantly taken to a table, told our waiter would be with us shortly. despite passing close by other than shouting (which i won't do) attracting their attention wasn't happening. After a delay we were 'spotted' and our orders taken. The food was 'ok' but I have to say I didn't feel it was worth the £60+ bill that it attracted (no wine). In fact the meal cost more than the advanced booked room price I secured.

Check out was swift and polite and we were immediately whisked back to the airport.

Would I recommend it? If you want a room and nothing else for the night before flying probably yes.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew S
Sussex
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2010

As a HHonors Platinum holder, I stay in a lot of Hilton brand hotels. This is one of the worst I have ever stayed in.

My reservation wasn't found which is never a good start. A rom was found, an executive one at that, so I was expecting a cool, large room, and, as shown on the Hilton website, a decent fitness center with a pool.

The room was tiny and old.

The central-air is old, non-functional. As is the mini-bar (which was empty and warm). When I asked the manager about this, she tried to defend that the central-air did work whilst she was visibly sweating ! I'd have had more repsect if she'd just said "d'you know way - you're right."

There was no water in the room - I usually get one/two bottles a day and with temperatures in the 80s and humidity not far off it's a necessity.

When I asked about the pool, I was told that they had taken it out some years back to turn it into more bedrooms.

The rate I was given equates to nearly $130/day at current rates - that's a price for a pretty good hotel, and this one is no-where near that standard. Plus, all the usual things that you'd expect from a hotel (coffee, cookies, parking) are EXTRA ! So be prepared to pay more like $170/night if you have a coffee and park a car.

I asked to be moved to my other favorite brand, Marriott. But all is not well there either.

The sad fact is that hotels are seriously under-supplyed in the UK, especially around airports, and that pushes prices up and standards down. In Manchester alone, you have a choice of two Hiltons - no other Hilton brands at all anywhere near the city. And I suspect that these aren't real Hiltons either but franshise operations....

My complaint is in with Hilton Customer Relations and I'm hoping that I get a favorable treatment.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank net_boyUK
Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2010

We stayed at the Hilton Manchester Airport before flying back home. The hotel is located on the airport ground and its not far to walk to the hotel but as there are busy roads all around, we choose to use the 24hour shuttle bus to get to the hotel.
We were a little bit disappointed as our rooms weren't ready when we wanted to check in at 4pm. No one was able to tell us when the rooms would be ready. So we decided to go to the Traford Centre shopping and when we returned after 8pm our rooms were ready.
The rooms are small enough and as we had requested a twin room, the double bed was pulled apart but unfortunately one of the bed now was placed directly under the bedside lamp which was attached to the wall.
I was surprised that we couldnt hear any noise from the airport but unfortunately we heard the aircon outside our room all night long.
Breakfast was a huge surprise, the restaurand offered a huge selection of continental and English breakfast. Eggs made to order, little pots with grapes or smoothies. All was available.
The staff was friendly and if I fly from Manchester again I would return to the hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sligodreamer
Basel, Switzerland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2010

I stayed here prior to flying out of Manchester Airport. I got a good deal and as a Gold card holder with Hilton I decided to get some more points by staying there.
Positive - good location for airport. Friendly reception staff.
Negative:
1. I checked in at 4pm. On arrival at my room there was a room service tray from breakfast still sitting outside the door from that morning. It was still there at 9pm by which time the food was going off. I phoned housekeeping who spent a long time telling me why it was not their responsibility but rather room service's. They promised to tell the room service staff, By 10 pm the tray of rotting food was still there. In total there were 6 trays of food lying in my corridor alone by 10 pm! Very poor for both appearance and hygiene.
2. The main light in the bathroom was not working and had clearly been ignored by maintenance / housekeeping.
3. The curtains had a gap at one end which meant that by 4am there was a beam of light waking me up.
4. I had to ask 3 times at breakfast to get coffee after sitting down.
5. The car parking system means that if you want to go out you have to get a new ticket validated each time. The system did not work for me and I ended up paying twice for my parking because the queue at reception was so long to go and get a new ticket validated.
6. Drinks in the bar are very expensive. They advertise Costa coffee but a small americano costs over £3.
Overall should be a good hotel but some really slopping workers are neglecting the basics and spoiling the Hilton name.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
GM_HiltonMA, Hotel Administrator at Hilton Manchester Airport, responded to this review, 18 June 2010
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for writing an in-depth critique of our hotel. Your points have been read with the utmost seriousness and have already been incorporated into a revisiting of our brand standards in those areas. We do strive hard to achieve and maintain high standands here at the Hilton Manchester Airport and it is with the aid of your feedback that we can make this happen. We do encourage a culture of taking responsibiity and therefore the tray should have been removed by the first person you spoke with no matter what their department.

I have asked maintenance to check the light in the bathroom and housekeeping to ensure our curtains close in the middle.

For safety reasons, our car parking is a one-way system and therefore once one reaches the exit there is no alternative but to go around to the entrance again. Please do ask any member of staff at the front office or concierge to validate a ticket if necessary. Likewise, our Journey Ambassador, who is located in our front lobby, can assist.

Our prices are set by our head office and do reflect the market price of like hotels in this vicinity.

Once again, I would thank you for your comments, all of which have been taken on board, and assure you of our best attention at all times.

Kind regards
Hotel Administrator
North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2010

I think expectations vary depending on your point of reference so I'm writing this for other American visitors. The hotel is not a typical airport hotel. It is more like a classic Hilton in that it has a real restaurant, a true lobby and conference facilities.

The hotel is located near the airport - you can walk although you wouldn't want to drag much luggage if you did. There is a 24 hour shuttle that runs on demand. Manchester airport is a sprawling mess. There is a sky-bridge that allows you to walk between terminals and also connects to the train station. The hotel is close to the train station so if you walk to the train you can then walk to the terminals. If you are catching a train it is easier to walk than to take the shuttle - for the terminals it is easier to take the shuttle.

The rooms are small - get the deluxe upgrade which adds enough additional room that it's worth the extra cost. Note that after you book the Hilton system will offer you a standby upgrade for an additional $10 per night - well worth it. The beds are pretty uncomfortable. Like many European hotels there is no box-spring and seperate mattress - they are combined into one unit. That means a rather harsh mattress.

The rooms are air-conditioned. However, it is not American a/c. It is still pretty warm even at full cold. The hotel seems to know this because there is also a table fan in the room which helps.

The bathroom is pretty typical. The tub is really high off the ground so if you are short it will be fun getting out. Otherwise the bathroom is pretty standard.

The room has a fridge. You will have to call down to get them to unlock it. Much like the a/c it doesn't really make things cold - just sort of cool.

The restaurant is interesting. There is nothing else nearby so if you don't eat here you will have to take the train into town (train fare varies depending on time of day - between 2 and 5 pounds roundtrip). They describe breakfast as "continental." However, it is not what we in America would think of as continental. Instead, it is a buffet of typical english food with bacon, sausage, eggs, fried bread etc plus some bakery items, cereal etc. If you are a breakfast eater it is well worth the money. Note that room service is pricey and limited.

Overall, it's a decent hotel. You won't leave thinking that you can't wait to get back - but you won't dread ever having to return either.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank sbccc
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for adding such observant feedback about our hotel here at the Hilton Manchester Airport.

If any of our guests require any further information, then please do let us know. We are very close to the airport, in fact it is walkable, but we would not recommend this and hence have our 24 hours shuttle bus to drop off and pick up.

We are very much a traditional Hilton in putting our customers firmly first. Our restaurant has an executive chef in situ, and yes, our breakfast is the best in the business!

Once again, if any of our American visitors are unsure of any part of our operation then please do contact us direct.

Assuring you of our best attention at all times.

Kind regards
Hotel Administrator
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
Crowne Plaza Manchester Airport
Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport
Radisson Blu Hotel, Manchester Airport
Holiday Inn Express Manchester Airport
Manchester Airport Marriott Hotel
Premier Inn Manchester Airport (M56/J6) Runger Lane North

Been to Hilton Manchester Airport? Share your experiences!