“Ok handy lunch for Railway station”

Cafe Rouge - Printworks Manchester
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Went here for lunch with a friend. Easy place to find, as it is right next to the main Printworks entrance and only a 3 minute walk from main railway station and from Arndale centre. We got a table inside, as it was windy and also too many potential "beggars" or hassles outside. Service was prompt. We just had salads and sparkling water. The salads were quite large and neither of us finished them. My friend had a coffee and small chocolate cake, which looked good. I had a green tea, which was very average. Prices are reasonable but not cheap. Recommend here to meet colleagues, but not for a special meal.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

I dined here alone when on Business. I opted to sit outside, which was a mistake. In 15 minutes, I had been approached by three people all asking for money. Whilst this is not the fault of the restaurant, it is off putting. I opted for a Filet, which was overcooked to medium when I had asked for rare. It was also a little tough and fatty, which I have never experienced with a Filet before. At the end of my meal I had to go into the restaurant to ask for my bill. A mediocre place and I would advise eating elsewhere.

1  Thank ap_0011
Reviewed 24 June 2014

As other reviewers have alluded, the food here is mediocre. I thought at first it was because we had just been in France, and everything is disappointing after the real thing... however it soon became clear that the food was just badly cooked. We had the confit of duck, which was soggy and underdone on the outside - skin wasn't crisp as it should be... and the roast chicken, which was cooked to within an inch of its life and dry as a bone. We mentioned these things to the very helpful waitress - she offered to take my duck back as it wasn't as it should be, but told my partner that the chicken was as it should be. We didn't end up sending the food back, as we were in a hurry. However we did feedback our disappointment to the waitress. She then offered us free dessert and coffee to make amends which we accepted. The citron tart was good, but the crepe was mediocre and bland. I would wager that food gets sent back relatively regularly here, so the waitress was used to it. She did her best, and the free dessert was appreciated, but I wouldn't recommend this place, especially if you've ever eaten in France. You WILL be disappointed.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

The four of us had dinner at Café Rouge. It was served by friendly staff and each dish was delicious. We were able to use Tesco vouchers which is always a bonus.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

went for sunday brunch ordered full english breakfast. meal service and then waiter went to get cutlerly, he never came back to check all was ok so I pinched the salt from a neighbouring table and walked to the bar to ask for butter for the toast. half way through I noticed egg shell in the scrambled eggs, I alerted another waiter who did offer a replacement but i declined and asked for the bill, which came but then I was left waiting to pay so in the end i left and left them a tip I handn't intended to give. plus scaffolding and building works all around- AVOID