“Great hotel needs better soundproofing!!”

Malmaison Manchester
Ranked #39 of 121 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 28 May 2011

Love the malmaison chain and this one lives up to all the expectations. Great location, good attentive staff as well. The only shame was the somewhat amourous couple next door. ... The poor soundproofing meant I was part of a 3 some without actually being able to take part:)

• Stayed: May 2011
2  Thank Spongegod
Write a ReviewReviews (2,648)

Reviewed 24 May 2011

I have stayed at this Hotel many times. Every thing was Ok but when i mat my colleague in the bar they had roped off a large area for a party. The problem was this left no room and it was a bit of a crush. I asked one of the staff who explaned that it was a corporate customer. I asked what about other guests like us who would like to use the bar. He was very polite and took the drinks off the bill. The guy was very accomadating.The following morning i was asked if everything was OK, i mentioned that the bar was over crowded and as a regular guest that it was poor to not accomadate guests. The duty manager was called who shouted at me from behind the desk, i ttried to explain that it was not appropriate to section off the bar but he kept shouting in front of other people now in the que and then blanked me.I left my card with reception and said I was not happy with the treatment. I phoned the hotel within half an hour and spoke to the General Manager, he promissed to take up my complaint and get in touch with me, he hasnt.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank dickyhell
Reviewed 18 May 2011

I've stayed at the mal maison before in Glasgow so was expecting a bit of luxury. The meal I ordered on room service was a nice rump steak and I couldn't fault that I could fault however the fact that they did not tell me that I was paying for a tray charge and the tip was included so I tipped twice! The room itself was disappointing, light hanging out of the wall, ripped curtains, no mirror near a plug or light, windows that had been written on in steam. Apart from the faults I slept like a baby the bed was so comfortable so I would recommend but not for a luxurious stay

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed 16 May 2011

I've never had a bad stay at a Malmaison Hotel - for me they just get it right. Manchester was no exception.

This Malmaison is in a cracking location - in the heart of Manchester and their terrace of a summers day is LUSH!

I stayed in one of their recently refurbed executive rooms - it was stylish, clean and incredibly comfortable. The whole feel of a Malmaison is stylish and comfort - and in Manchester they do it perfectly.

Staff were friendly, chatty and incredibly efficient.

Room Tip: Book in advance
  • Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 April 2011

I've stayed at various Malmaison hotels over the last 5 or 6 years. Usually they are excellent, funky, different with great rooms and really good service.

I have a season ticket at Manchester United & travel 250 miles to see the match. I often stay over here if it's a late kick off or early kick off, as it's less than 5 mins from the reception desk to the platforms at Manchester Piccadilly. Over the last 12 months the level of service and cleanliness has rather dropped off a bit, nothing specific, just stuff missing from rooms (like irons, or morning breakfast cards) & the overnight staff seem to be a bit less friendly than in the past.

Last week I booked a late deal through their website on one of the Easter bank holidays. I got a good deal, £79 Inc VAT (room only) which I booked about 8 hours before arriving. The place was clearly quiet, otherwise no such deal would have been available. I chose the double standard room (specifically avoiding the "Cosy Room" option which was the same price, as I wanted room to spread out and do some work.

On arrival at about 23:00 all was well, until I was allocated room 139, on the first floor overlooking a taxi rank and hoardes of passersby heading drunkenly towards the station. It was EXTREMELY noisy due to traffic & people outside (I live in central London, so I don't need pin-drop silence to sleep) plus there was an air-con motor in the corridor right outside the room. Room 139 is also tiny. There is no other way to describe it. Had I been with my partner or had more than one bag we would really have struggled with the lack of space. There's a tiny desk at the end of the bed, with one desk chair. Nothing else but the bed to sit on. The TV (widescreen LCD but still showing an analogue signal in 4:3 ratio, stretched - come on guys it's 2011, widescreen TV has been around for more than a decade now) was tiny, and hung from the wall to the SIDE of the bed, making it practically impossible to watch comfortably from either in bed, or any seated position.

There is no doubt I was allocated a "Cosy" room despite deliberately booking a standard sized room. On a night with pretty low occupancy, for a repeat customer, I simply don't understand why this was necessary.

Also, despite being on the first floor, it took ages to get to my room as they allocated me to the furthest room from the lifts, squashed into the corner, and to top it off, the lift was broken. Or so a sign on the lift said. It worked fine for me, and was the only lift that arrived during a 5 min wait. I did try the stairs to level 1, but access to the rooms was blocked by a locked door. I, together with several others, were later told off by the reception manager for using the "broken" lift. It had been roped off by then, but was still working. He said we should have (worked out for ourselves) to send the broken lift to the top floor, empty, thus meaning the working lift would come next time we called a lift. Ridiculous!! He also said the lift had been temperamental that day and had trapped people in it, and dropped several floors at one point. I asked why it hadn't been locked so no-one could enter it and his only answer was they couldn't get an engineer out as it was a bank holiday! Either the lift was unsafe, in which case shut it down instead of leaving it running, or it wasn't. Waiting 7 minutes to get from reception to a room on the floor above was a joke.

Overall, Manchester Mal remains a good bet and my first choice whenever I'm in town, but it needs to cut out the complacency and get back to doing what Mal used to do so well: attention to detail.

Oh, and be sure to make sure you're not allocated to a "Cosy Room" if you can!

• Stayed: April 2011
2  Thank Stretfordender99
Reviewed 20 April 2011

This hotel is an excellent establishment - we asked for several extras (champagne cocktails, handmade truffles etc) and they could not have been more helpful. The reception area and restaurant are tastefully decorated, and the rooms are comfortable. Unfortunately our room was located at the back of the hotel, above the loading bay for deliveries. This woke me up at 6am and we were upgraded to a junior suite at the front of the hotel.

Breakfast remains at the forefront of my mind - excellent quality produce. The fresh honeycomb was a welcome touch.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 April 2011

We have just checked out after a 1 night stay, Room very small, even though it was an exec room. Clean, well designed bathroom, lighting not very good though for putting on make up, maybe a light on the mirror would be good??
Nice to see full sports line up on tv in bedroom!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cocktails (altho pricey) were loveleeee!!!
Restaurant was great, food just too good!!!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple