“SPOOKTACULAR”

Malmaison Manchester
Ranked #32 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 31 October 2011

This Hotel states "WE DARE YOU" Well i dared to go to this Hotel to see what people liked or disliked about it, well i can tell you i enjoyed every bit of this dare experience, i travelled by Train to Manchester and when i got off the Train and ventured out on the Street what do i see but the Malmaison Hotel sign.
When i walked in the Reception which was not full and as we got to the Hotel early i asked if i could leave our bags somewhere safe until our rooms were ready, the lovely lady on the Reception she she would get a room for us straight away (lovely) so we could go around Manchester shopping (lovely for my other half).
As i was under the weather (Man Flu) we decided to eat in the Hotel Dinning room, the Steak was Fantastic that i ordered, the Marrow bone that came with it that i did try was a waste of time really, the Chips that came with it in a cone Design was lovely.
The Bedroom was dark but cosy, the bed was firm but i slept like a log, the bathroom was large and funky, so all in all the room was what i was looking for.
The bar was a bit strange at first, with the bar staff lower down below you when you sat at the bar after a time you got used to it and it made you talk to the Bar staff at eye level, a young kid behind the bar called James that had only worked at the Malmaison for 6 weeks but what a nice guy a real northern in fact everyone in that bar was so friendly it was a good craic, everyone was there for a good time and it showed.
The acid test of my experience is that i am going back in December to do some Chrimbo shopping and i am defo going to stay at the Malmaison.

Room Tip: just get there early and smile and be nice to the staff and you can't go wrong just ask the staf...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Craig R, Manager at Malmaison Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2011

Dear Family Man

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Mal Manchester on your recent visit to the city,
we appreciate you giving us your feedback as it is only through this that we can continually strive to improve the Mal experience.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed Smoak Bar and Grill, and hopefully you have fully recovered from your man flu we know it can be deadly!
When all the slinkiness subsides and the divine dining has been done, there’s nothing more to say as you leave us but a big thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back to Mal Manchester in the near future.

Many Thanks

Craig Routledge
Assistant Operations Manager

There are newer reviews for Malmaison Manchester

Reviewed 31 October 2011

Stayed here for business just for 1 night. Hotel was spot on for what I needed. Smart, clean, friendly staff and good central location.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 October 2011

Upon entering the hotel, I spent considerable time playing my way across the checked board to the reception, it was frustrating as the other players were moving when it was not their turn and the knight moved in a diagonal line and not the standard 'L' shape that I am accustomed to. At the reception desk, a man, called Lion or Lenux or something found me a room, he was very polite, be it, a little small and undershaved for my liking. The room was a little too large for my tastes and did consider asking for a smaller room as I am used to caravan holidays, but in the spirit of embracing new experiences I decided to stay put. The bathroom bought me a tremendous amount of merriment; the taps had a good water pressure which meant I could use the sink to wash my hands in, instead of just running them under the tap. The bedroom, for me was also full of wonderment and surprise; I found a biscuit on a tray which was nice. I had hoped for a turning down service but as I was not asked, I decided against requesting one from Lion on reception. At night, the lamps produced sufficient light to read and find my way to the bathroom. The bed was higher then I am used to and a little too big. In the morning I had breakfast delivered to my room and I ate it in the bath; pastry floats but little pots of jam sink.

I decided to get the most out of my stay so when I was packed and ready to leave I waited till the last second of my room rent then rushed to the desk. Like the changing of the guard a new person was on reception. She enquired if I had enjoyed my stay but I didn't go into details. I WOULD recommend it to a friend. I recently suggested it to a camping neighbour who played music too loud. He didn't take me up on the suggestion.

5 stars!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank w f
Reviewed 28 October 2011

There is a quirkiness about this hotel which some might find irritating. A bit too clever by half some might say – like the bill being called “The Damage”. The décor is dark and there are rather silly things to buy in the room – all a bit “We are different and aren’t we clever?”. That said the rooms are comfortable and it is a perfectly adequate place to stay for a Business trip – if someone else is picking up the substantial bill - £129 a night when I was there – plus £14 for breakfast.

Serious gripe. After a hard day I got back to my room to find the electronic key didn’t work. So I hauled myself back to reception where a sullen woman who seemed to be having a bad hair day dealt with the problem. She said nothing except a platitudinous “There you go” when she handed the key back to me. I looked less than gruntled at this and suggested that an apology might have been in order. This came eventually not from her but from another member of staff. Pure Fawlty Towers.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 October 2011

Bogies on bathroom wall discovered after unpacking.
Moved and upgraded.
Courteous and friendly staff.
Steak was not hot enough (return the dame temperature)
Hunt a banana for breakfast.

Too much twiddly stuff not enough basic stuff done well.

Room Tip: From my experience, check cleanliness before unpacking. I would not bother with the standard double...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 October 2011

The Mal failed to get the easiest things right during our stay.
Our bathroom lacked toiletries - little pots which should have held cotton buds and pads were empty and had clearly not been checked. There wasn't a shower over the bath, the hair dyer was under the tea tray (why not in the dressing table drawer?) the air con/heating instructions were on a tiny card by the door - bizarre! I looked all over the room every time I woke in the night too hot and bothered to sleep and finally found them as I left the room in the morning. The information in the room was totally haphazard - strange cards of different sizes - may I suggest an easy to find small file?
The newspaper had not been delivered by 7am, the furniture was not properly dusted and the furniture was chipped,stained and watermarked - all in all the room had seen better days. The lighting was awful too! Making reading very difficult . Our table wasn't ready when we arrived at breakfast so we had to wait. The spa was grubby - leg wax dripped all over the floor and stuck to my shoes and used tissues and towels in my treatment room.

Good things? Comfortable bed, friendly staff in the spa and an excellent shower but you would expect that at this calibre of hotel.

Room Tip: I was told by a member of staff That there are brighter newly refurbished bedrooms - ask for one of...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 October 2011

Amazing hotel! nothing more to say other than its excellent in every way. I can not understand how anybody could down rate this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple