Have stayed at this Malmaison quite a lot over recent years, and it had always been one of my favourites. Stayed at the end of October and experienced the new 'Smoak' restaurant and refurb of the bar etc.
The room was lovely and relaxing, and thankfully the hotel hasn't changed the decoration of the rooms to my knowledge. Partner and I had a couple of cocktails in the new Smoak bar area. What were they thinking? We both hated the decor with a passion, hate the big screen tv with sky sports on it - it's lost the lovely sexy atmosphere it used to have and now feels like a jumped up american sports bar. Service was terrible and the staff couldn't make a decent cocktail - it felt like they'd brought in a load of young inexperienced staff and I'm afraid they just aren't up to the standard I expect at Malmaison, maybe in time they'll get better. The new 'smoak' restaurant food was terrible - had one of their 'big soups' to start - really disappointing nothing to it, hot water with a few bits of meat and veg - just awful, and I had the buttermilk chicken - like really bad burnt KFC gone wrong - just awful - my advice is stay at the Mal if you can get a good deal on the room rate, but whatever you do, don't eat in this 'smoak' restaurant with its naff coffee sack styling - go across the road to Abode for a decent breakfast or round the corner to Mint hotel - much better food.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mal Manchester: In the home of the beautiful game you're about to turn Moulin Rouge. A short trundle for wheel-based luggage from Piccadilly Station and you're at the Mal - somewhere in the mists between Paris and the 24-hour party city. You cross the chessboard reception and suddenly you're a king for the knight. It's your move. Smoak Bar and Grill at Mal Manchester: A grill room and bar quite unlike anything Manchester has ever before seen. Set in the award-winning Malmaison Hotel minutes from Piccadilly station, Smoak is total indulgence for the senses. The amazing aroma of nation's finest oak-smoked steaks and fresh fish, served to a pewter counter or cosy booth. Imagine great imported beers, cocktails and bubbly served from an unusual sunken bar, with highly skilled mixologists serving you while you stay seated. Picture a stylish relaxed but chic interior a mix of booths, banquettes and counter stools. Come lunchtime and it's locally sourced bread, generously filled sandwiches and salads or full blown grill dining for the more adventurous lunchtime escapee. Come sundown the mood changes and we turn the aromas up to eleven. The cocktails flow, the steaks sizzle, the music turns up and the night begins. Ember Lounge at Mal Manchester: We could tell you about the Ember Lounge - an immaculate and opulent cocktail bar furtively hidden to the rear of the Smoak Bar & Grill. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Lastminute, Odigeo, Hotels.com and Priceline so you can book your Malmaison Manchester reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Malmaison Manchester Hotel Manchester
- Malmaison Hotel Manchester
- Manchester Malmaison Hotel