“Smoak restaurant and new decor really let this hotel down” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Malmaison Manchester

Malmaison Manchester
Ranked #33 of 115 Hotels in Manchester
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
“Smoak restaurant and new decor really let this hotel down”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2011

Have stayed at this Malmaison quite a lot over recent years, and it had always been one of my favourites. Stayed at the end of October and experienced the new 'Smoak' restaurant and refurb of the bar etc.
The room was lovely and relaxing, and thankfully the hotel hasn't changed the decoration of the rooms to my knowledge. Partner and I had a couple of cocktails in the new Smoak bar area. What were they thinking? We both hated the decor with a passion, hate the big screen tv with sky sports on it - it's lost the lovely sexy atmosphere it used to have and now feels like a jumped up american sports bar. Service was terrible and the staff couldn't make a decent cocktail - it felt like they'd brought in a load of young inexperienced staff and I'm afraid they just aren't up to the standard I expect at Malmaison, maybe in time they'll get better. The new 'smoak' restaurant food was terrible - had one of their 'big soups' to start - really disappointing nothing to it, hot water with a few bits of meat and veg - just awful, and I had the buttermilk chicken - like really bad burnt KFC gone wrong - just awful - my advice is stay at the Mal if you can get a good deal on the room rate, but whatever you do, don't eat in this 'smoak' restaurant with its naff coffee sack styling - go across the road to Abode for a decent breakfast or round the corner to Mint hotel - much better food.

Room Tip: Don't accept a room near the lifts as these can be noisy as people come back from a night out an...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Craig R, Manager at Malmaison Manchester, responded to this review, 12 November 2011
Dear Andy

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Mal Manchester on your recent visit to the city,
we appreciate you giving us your feedback as it is only through this that we can continually strive to improve the Mal experience.
I am sorry to read of your dissatisfaction, please be assured that this is not the usual standard of service that we aim to deliver here at Mal.
I would like the opportunity to discuss this matter further with yourself, please contact me directly on 0161 278 1000 or croutledge@malmaison.com where I can hopefully restore your faith back into Mal Manchester.

Yours Sincerely

Assistant Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
  • Indonesian first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2011

I have been staying at this Mal for almost two years now, probably once every couple of months. The main positive is the staff, they are always friendly and helpful and I've never had a bad experience. The rooms vary quite a lot, there are some older rooms in the traditional Mal red and black and although atmospheric I have experienced some well worn examples. The problem is, I think, the bold red and black needs to be spot on e.g no worn carpets, stains on cushions, chips on black furniture as otherwise it looks really tacky, especially in daylight. I have also stayed in more recently decorated (I think) wet rooms, with great walk in showers. These rooms are generally better quality but seem to lack the warmth if the other rooms. My biggest issue with my last stay was the room service from the new Smoak restaurant. Fish cakes, as a starter were fine, nothing special but nicely cooked but the chicken, pork & prawn broth with black bean was a massive disappointment. No meat at all, just mushrooms,
cabbage and spices. I thought i'd been given the veggie one but looked at the menu and this was a noodle version. It tasted okay, but was a tiny portion of what essentially was spiced stock, cabbage and mushrooms. It also came without the bread that was advertised and cost £10, which I thought was very very poor. True, I didn't conplain, but I work into the eve and when I get back I just want food, some Tv and sleep, so frankly could not be bothered. So mixed reviews really, I'm thinking of trying Abode across the street next time.

• Stayed October 2011
Dear Andie

Yours Sincerely

Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

This Hotel states "WE DARE YOU" Well i dared to go to this Hotel to see what people liked or disliked about it, well i can tell you i enjoyed every bit of this dare experience, i travelled by Train to Manchester and when i got off the Train and ventured out on the Street what do i see but the Malmaison Hotel sign.
When i walked in the Reception which was not full and as we got to the Hotel early i asked if i could leave our bags somewhere safe until our rooms were ready, the lovely lady on the Reception she she would get a room for us straight away (lovely) so we could go around Manchester shopping (lovely for my other half).
As i was under the weather (Man Flu) we decided to eat in the Hotel Dinning room, the Steak was Fantastic that i ordered, the Marrow bone that came with it that i did try was a waste of time really, the Chips that came with it in a cone Design was lovely.
The Bedroom was dark but cosy, the bed was firm but i slept like a log, the bathroom was large and funky, so all in all the room was what i was looking for.
The bar was a bit strange at first, with the bar staff lower down below you when you sat at the bar after a time you got used to it and it made you talk to the Bar staff at eye level, a young kid behind the bar called James that had only worked at the Malmaison for 6 weeks but what a nice guy a real northern in fact everyone in that bar was so friendly it was a good craic, everyone was there for a good time and it showed.
The acid test of my experience is that i am going back in December to do some Chrimbo shopping and i am defo going to stay at the Malmaison.

Room Tip: just get there early and smile and be nice to the staff and you can't go wrong just ask the staf...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Craig R, Manager at Malmaison Manchester, responded to this review, 16 November 2011
Dear Family Man

I am glad to read that you enjoyed Smoak Bar and Grill, and hopefully you have fully recovered from your man flu we know it can be deadly!
When all the slinkiness subsides and the divine dining has been done, there’s nothing more to say as you leave us but a big thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back to Mal Manchester in the near future.

Many Thanks

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

Stayed here for business just for 1 night. Hotel was spot on for what I needed. Smart, clean, friendly staff and good central location.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2011

Upon entering the hotel, I spent considerable time playing my way across the checked board to the reception, it was frustrating as the other players were moving when it was not their turn and the knight moved in a diagonal line and not the standard 'L' shape that I am accustomed to. At the reception desk, a man, called Lion or Lenux or something found me a room, he was very polite, be it, a little small and undershaved for my liking. The room was a little too large for my tastes and did consider asking for a smaller room as I am used to caravan holidays, but in the spirit of embracing new experiences I decided to stay put. The bathroom bought me a tremendous amount of merriment; the taps had a good water pressure which meant I could use the sink to wash my hands in, instead of just running them under the tap. The bedroom, for me was also full of wonderment and surprise; I found a biscuit on a tray which was nice. I had hoped for a turning down service but as I was not asked, I decided against requesting one from Lion on reception. At night, the lamps produced sufficient light to read and find my way to the bathroom. The bed was higher then I am used to and a little too big. In the morning I had breakfast delivered to my room and I ate it in the bath; pastry floats but little pots of jam sink.

I decided to get the most out of my stay so when I was packed and ready to leave I waited till the last second of my room rent then rushed to the desk. Like the changing of the guard a new person was on reception. She enquired if I had enjoyed my stay but I didn't go into details. I WOULD recommend it to a friend. I recently suggested it to a camping neighbour who played music too loud. He didn't take me up on the suggestion.

5 stars!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank w f
Teddington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2011

There is a quirkiness about this hotel which some might find irritating. A bit too clever by half some might say – like the bill being called “The Damage”. The décor is dark and there are rather silly things to buy in the room – all a bit “We are different and aren’t we clever?”. That said the rooms are comfortable and it is a perfectly adequate place to stay for a Business trip – if someone else is picking up the substantial bill - £129 a night when I was there – plus £14 for breakfast.

Serious gripe. After a hard day I got back to my room to find the electronic key didn’t work. So I hauled myself back to reception where a sullen woman who seemed to be having a bad hair day dealt with the problem. She said nothing except a platitudinous “There you go” when she handed the key back to me. I looked less than gruntled at this and suggested that an apology might have been in order. This came eventually not from her but from another member of staff. Pure Fawlty Towers.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2011

Bogies on bathroom wall discovered after unpacking.
Moved and upgraded.
Courteous and friendly staff.
Steak was not hot enough (return the dame temperature)
Hunt a banana for breakfast.

Too much twiddly stuff not enough basic stuff done well.

Room Tip: From my experience, check cleanliness before unpacking. I would not bother with the standard double...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business